Running in cold weather?

Options
I started C25K three weeks ago, when it was warmer, but now the temperatures are starting to dip and it's taking some serious gumption to get up and go run when it is cold out! (I really want to finish the program, so not running isn't an option, and my gym doesn't have an indoor track.)

So, what do you wear when you run in the cold? Brands, things to look for, etc.

Replies

• Pixeebug
    Pixeebug Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bumping this so I can find it later.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The trick is layers!! Dry wick material and layers, I can run down to the teens in 2 layers of long sleeve dry wick shirts, a pair of running tights, and a hat and gloves! I wear a lot of c9 brand from target and reebok!
  • ncgovernor
    ncgovernor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I started C25K last week and have decided I like it. I even got up this AM to "get it n," but wondered if I would continue to do so as the mornings become even colder. Now I know what to do! Dry wick layers! And stuff I can easily find at Target.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how cold is cold. Here is what I wear when the temperature drops, a wide headband/ear warmer (I find I get too hot in a hat, but this is just enough to keep my ears warm), gloves, thin fleece lined running tights, a moisture wicking tank top, and a 3/4 zip thin fleece, and merino wool socks. I am in Vancouver, BC tho, so my cold never gets below -10 Celsius:)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I wear sweatpants, a thermal, a hoodie and a hat. That's all I need. I might rock some gloves if need be.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to dress as though it's 10 degrees warmer than the temperature. Once you warm up, you don't want to be overdressed and get overheated. That said, dressing in layers is a good idea. And like one of the previous posters mentioned, it depends on how cold is cold. It's been colder here lately (I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada), so it's been between 0 to 5 Celsius on my runs in the last couple of weeks. I have some thicker tights (as opposed to my usual capri tights), along with my merino wool longsleeve top and a windbreaker. I wear a buff for my ears and gloves if it's windy. I plan to get some thermal stuff for the even colder temps that will be coming up soon.
  • corridor7f
    Options
    Layers! Right now I wear a long-sleeved tech shirt over a waterproof shell and usually end up unzipping the shell towards the end of my run.... yoga pants and a buff to cover my ears. When it's really cold, I wear the tech shirt under a fleece mid-layer under the shell... plus a hat, gloves and fleecy running pants.

If you're having trouble with the cold and motivation, consider switching when you run. I'm a morning runner until about Jan / Feb, then I switch to after work. It's warmer and the roads are usually clearer... plus it's DAMN hard to get out of my nice warm bed in the morning.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    I too am just starting out and am doing the C25K. Saturday am it was in the mid 40's (cold by Alabama standards) I dressed in layers.... and about 5 mins in to our 20 min run, I was burning up. AFTERWARDS, I was told to dress as if it was 20 degrees warmer. Words for thought.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use my Under Armor gear that i use when deer hunting and ice fishing. The cold weather gear is great for keeping the sweat off your skin and there for keeping you from getting cold. Its really nice to wear on cold days in general (jan and feb of the year i will do that when we are dealing with -20 temps and wind chills). The only thing i will caution on is taking it off as soon as you get into some where warm. The gear is so tight to the skin that it almost acts as a second layer of skin, and when you take it off right after being outside for an extended period of time, it can be quite chilly. I always keep it on in the house till i start to get warmed up.

I too am going to start C25K in the coming week or so. Once my shin splints are healed up and strengthened (working on that as we speak) - I will be ready to go. Maybe soon ill be able to just run down the deer:) LOL

Happy running and good luck girl!

CK
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Thank you greatly for the great replies! Right now it's getting down to the high 30s (3-5C for my metric friends)...I've been wearing a long sleeved cotton T under a compression jog hoodie and leggings that I got from Old Navy. About half way through my run, I unzip about midway because I am uncomfortably warm. I think it'll work down to 30F or so...our winters can get down to 0F/-17C and sometimes colder depending on wind chill -not that I would consider running in really bitter temperatures, I don't think my throat could take it. Great tip about the drywick shirts, ear warmers and good socks. I'll check out Target to see what they have on hand for runners.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter. Up here in Manitoba that means you're looking at temps in the area of -18'C to -30'C (without wind factor). I'll layer a couple of tech shirts under a Northface running jacket and wear termal tights with a pair of Brooks wind pants over them to cut the wind. A toque and gloves and I'm good to go. A face mask on the odd day if the wind tends to be bordering on the extreme. If it gets colder then it's time to hit the indoor track in town or the dreadmill (last resort).
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter. Up here in Manitoba that means you're looking at temps in the area of -18'C to -30'C (without wind factor). I'll layer a couple of tech shirts under a Northface running jacket and wear termal tights with a pair of Brooks wind pants over them to cut the wind. A toque and gloves and I'm good to go. A face mask on the odd day if the wind tends to be bordering on the extreme. If it gets colder then it's time to hit the indoor track in town or the dreadmill (last resort).

Wow. I feel brave when I head out at 20 degrees Fahrenheit -- that would be a warm day for you! OTOH I'm jealous of Canadians in the summer when it's 80 degrees and 90 percent humidity at 6 am here in North Carolina!
  • ncgovernor
    ncgovernor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Davemunger: I'm also in NC and just started to feel a lil guilty for talking about "cold mornings." Cold in the Carolinas vs. cold in Canada is hardly the same thing. lol. I was patting myself on the back for going out when it was 45 degrees one morning!
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a big wuss about running in cold weather, mainly because my ears would hurt if I ran when it was too cold. I spent $12 on a nice thermal headband that fully covered my ears, though, and that made it all the better.

Just stick with it, I second all the above suggestions! And find some good music to go along with you, and before you know it you won't think twice about the cold!
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would get rid of the cotton, and get something that wicks. I get almost all my running stuff at Ross; you pay much less for the same stuff. The cotton will hold your sweat against you and make you colder. Layer, wear gloves or mittens, and you'll find the cold isn't a problem.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for me is something over my mouth. I use a thin polyester headband-thing (don't know what to call it) and put it over my ears and mouth. It's a little dorky, but it's night and day difference for my lungs in cold weather. Might be because I'm asthmatic, I'm not sure how much that helps for someone who's not.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For me, gloves are a must. My hands and arms get so cold. About half way through my run, I want the thinnest amount of fabric on my torso and an extra layer or two on my arms.

When the wind blows, my eyes tend to water. I am considering buying some goggles. I don't care how I look. I've got to do whatever it takes to keep my running. :P