How much weight did you gain during your pregnancy?

Options

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    This is going to vary greatly since many on here have gotten pregnant while overweight/obese. There is no need for huge weight gain. My wife just went from 119-141lbs, delivered at 39.5 weeks. Baby girl is now 4 months and wife is 117lbs. This is what happens when you exercise throughout pregnancy, easy and quick recovery. First hike was 7 days after c-section with baby in Ergo. Normal exercise resumed at two weeks.

There is no need for a huge weight gain, but doctor recommended is 20-30 pounds depending on the doctor.

A lot of women lose their first baby weight very easily and have trouble the second time. Either way, good for your wife dropping poundage really quickly, but that's an unrealistic standard to hold every fit woman to. Seriously though, I wouldn't be hiking 7 days after a C-section.

Well said...Lucky for her. Not for everyone.

She wasn't lucky. She busted her *kitten*. I cooked healthy meals and she worked out, even did a 5k at 33 weeks. And no it isn't for everyone since over 60% of Americans don't exercise and "eat for two" while pregnant. However, my wife is not Superwoman. There are other women out there that have/can stay fit throughout pregnancy. You all can do it.

I agree, every situation is different but just like getting in shape while not pregnant, if you want it you will do what you can. I spend my pregnancies with a picc line in my arm and a feeding tube in my nose because I'm so sick, while I cannot run, box, lift like I normally do I use my spin bike when I can and I go for short walks and when I can keep "real" food down I make sure it is not junk. Everyone will have different obstacles. I've never had a c section...with my first baby I tore really bad and it took a couple months to resume normal activity, with my last (my 3rd) I was running again at 3 weeks. With this baby, I am not as sick, the nausea is being controlled with oral meds so on my "good days" I am able to go for a walk or a swim. Good for your wife for being serious about it and good for you for helping her achieve her goals!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This is going to vary greatly since many on here have gotten pregnant while overweight/obese. There is no need for huge weight gain. My wife just went from 119-141lbs, delivered at 39.5 weeks. Baby girl is now 4 months and wife is 117lbs. This is what happens when you exercise throughout pregnancy, easy and quick recovery. First hike was 7 days after c-section with baby in Ergo. Normal exercise resumed at two weeks.

There is no need for a huge weight gain, but doctor recommended is 20-30 pounds depending on the doctor.

A lot of women lose their first baby weight very easily and have trouble the second time. Either way, good for your wife dropping poundage really quickly, but that's an unrealistic standard to hold every fit woman to. Seriously though, I wouldn't be hiking 7 days after a C-section.

She wasn't lucky. She busted her *kitten*. I cooked healthy meals and she worked out, even did a 5k at 33 weeks. And no it isn't for everyone since over 60% of Americans don't exercise and "eat for two" while pregnant. However, my wife is not Superwoman. There are other women out there that have/can stay fit throughout pregnancy. You all can do it.

I agree, every situation is different but just like getting in shape while not pregnant, if you want it you will do what you can. I spend my pregnancies with a picc line in my arm and a feeding tube in my nose because I'm so sick, while I cannot run, box, lift like I normally do I use my spin bike when I can and I go for short walks and when I can keep "real" food down I make sure it is not junk. Everyone will have different obstacles. I've never had a c section...with my first baby I tore really bad and it took a couple months to resume normal activity, with my last (my 3rd) I was running again at 3 weeks. With this baby, I am not as sick, the nausea is being controlled with oral meds so on my "good days" I am able to go for a walk or a swim. Good for your wife for being serious about it and good for you for helping her achieve her goals!

This is what I was thinking every pregnancy is different. I've had clients who suffered from hyperemeis and it's debilitating they cant get out of bed without losing vital nutrition. Some women suffer horrible infections post delivery. If toxemia or eclampsia develop then she will go to bed rest. If she has an incomplete cervix or any other multidude of complications that can occur in pregnancy then she will see bed rest. I find the whole thing condescending and my pregnancy hormones are raging right now!!
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Doctors will tell you that you should NOT exercise after a C-section... I know women do it, but in all honesty they should not.

My son I gained 25 lbs
    My daughter I gained 22 lbs
    Both C-section, easy recovery with my daughter, was in the hospital for 2 weeks after my son.... I ate very healthy with both kids, but after was my issue. My kids were NOT the cause of my weight gain, I was. LOL!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    1st baby- 65lbs I enjoyed that theory eat for two and ate everything and anything i liked. too much junk. Regret it still 5yrs later

2nd baby-45lbs watched what i ate, exercised, 1&3rd trims. 2nd i had doctorss orders not to excerisee due to placenta previa.

3rd baby- 36lb.- logged throughout entire pregnancy, exercised 1& 3rd trimester. also had placenta previa so i couldn't wrok out 2nd trimester.
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    I gained 30ish pounds with my son and ate fairly healthy and walked quite a bit until about 25 weeks but I was placed on bed rest for much of the end of my pregnancy and still ended up delivering my son 6 and a half weeks early due to preeclampsia. It has been said so much and will continue to be because it couldn't be truer, every pregnancy is different. Some women can't stay fit and keep working out while pregnant, their bodies don't allow it. My son is 4 months old now and I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Gained 40 lbs and ate pretty healthy...ironically anything fast food or not great for me I totally didn't want...the smells of some of that stuff turned my stomach wicked bad!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking every pregnancy is different. I've had clients who suffered from hyperemeis and it's debilitating they cant get out of bed without losing vital nutrition. Some women suffer horrible infections post delivery. If toxemia or eclampsia develop then she will go to bed rest. If she has an incomplete cervix or any other multidude of complications that can occur in pregnancy then she will see bed rest. I find the whole thing condescending and my pregnancy hormones are raging right now!!

Bingo!! Oh how I WISHED to be able to eat real food and get out of bed to go somewhere other than the toilet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    About 26 lbs with the first, and I think 38 wiht the second. I did not eat as healthy then as I do now, but I've never eaten super unhealthy. I had crazy ice cream cravings with the first though and made trips to Dairy Queen regularly.

But, I was young when I had my children, and maintaining weight was not a problem.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    My last pregnancy was twins and I gained 50lbs.
    1st pregnancy singleton gained 50lbs
    2nd pregnancy singleton gained 20lbs
    3rd pregnancy singleton lost and gained 20lbs
    4th pregnancy was twins but lost one at 12 weeks gained 20lbs
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    50lbs. :sad:
    I've lost it all though.
    :bigsmile:
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I never said she didn't work hard to stay fit. Kudos to the both of you! I meant she was lucky to have been able to recover from a c-section so quickly. It is a major surgery and hiking 7 days post section is an amazing feat. I know many other women who also stayed fit and healthy during their pregnancies (unfortunately not myself though I didn't 'eat for two' as you say) and it didn't take them long to get back to pre pregnancy weight but it did take them longer than a week to recover from their c sections.
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 to 80 with my three kids. I now weigh 30 lbs less (I have hypothyroidism and was not dx'ed until trying for kids, my metabolize is much better now) than I did when I got pregnant with my first. I was over 230 lbs with the last (I am 5 11.5) my water broke on the way to my OB appointment so I never got the last weigh in, lol.
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    50 pounds during both pregnancies. In my defense I was 20 pounds underweight at the time. My doctor didn't complain and I was lucky to lose the weight super quick. Boy! I wish I had that metabolism now!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Both boys I gained about 30lbs. And lost it pretty quickly. My first was 9 lbs at birth himself! :laugh:
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    I never gained more than 5 lbs with any of my 3 pregnancies. But then again I was so big you could hardly tell I was pregnant! I always walked out of the hospital 20+ lbs lighter than pre-pregnancy weight but would gain it back in no time. Really sad that I wasn't even pregnant at my heaviest weight! :frown:
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I agree it does take work and is not easy. But, just as having one child doesn't make someone an authority on parenting, having one pregnant wife doesn't make one an authority of pregnancy for the masses. I have hypermobility syndrome (fortunately not extremely severe). But, the pregnancy hormones caused all sorts of issues w/my joints and pelvis and even walking was painful. Not every body is the same. The "you all can do it" is simply not true for everyone. People have health conditions (I was a size 4 and in good shape when I got pregnant and expected that I would gain 25 pounds and stay active. It didn't happen.

Anyway, this is all far in my past (thank goodness). Congrats on your baby girl :-)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    OMG....can I blame 100+ pounds on them.. Yeah...100+ pounds combined.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had 3 boys
    I gained 24#, 30#, 34#
    Delivered early 3.5 weeks, early 2.5 week, and deliverd on my due date.
    They weighted 6#12, 8#2.5, 8#5oz
    Ate fairly healthy, but didn't think about it much.
    Nursed each and lost all my weight each time.
    (I was young -- 19-24)
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    WAY TOO MUCH! About 90 lbs. I "thought" I was eating for 2 plus I retained a ton of fluid. I didn't have ankles...they were the same size as my calves. Utterly disgusting!!!!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well before my first I was a normal weight gained about 30 lbs during , never lost any of it got pregnant again when my oldest was 10.5 months old gained 11 lbs had gestational diabetes , lost 9lbs the day I gave birth,h my last was 8lbs 6oz that's a lot of baby for me since I'm 4ft 10in my daughters are one day shy of 19 months apart funny how that happened . Anyways I believe if you are of a normal weight before pregnancy than 25 to 30 would be fine and if your overweight than 5 to 11 or even losing a little the baby will take everything it can get I lost a little at first but gained it back during the last month of that pregnancy.

I eat normally during my pregnancies, in my second I controlled my GD with diet almost exclusively until the last 2 months then I took a pill once a day .

It makes me more aware of my food choices these days I'm not perfect. but I know I don't was diabetes later in life. So I'm changing my life now, already lost 30lbs, now to lose the rest .

oh and I might add both babies were c sections went through labor with first, but not second one.

I would not wish a c -section on anyone its major surgery no matter how you look at it , I recovered well I was told, but I also followed my doctors instructions.

first baby (water broke )born at 36 weeks and 2 days< 6lbs 11 oz >, 2nd child born on 39 weeks to the day

If I had had more children they would have consecutively gotten bigger glad my tubes are tied:) my body is much happier now .