WTF DOMS..

Options
DOMS - Delayed onset muscle soreness, If i wrote it accurately.. (:

How do you get rid of DOMS, it usually happens after you lift heavy weights which causes muscle soreness, my arms are literally swollen, what works for you?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Light activity, stretching....time. There is also a inverse relationship with doms. If you start loving that feeling like many of us do, it seems harder to get it.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Light activity, stretching....time. There is also a inverse relationship with doms. If you start loving that feeling like many of us do, it seems harder to get it.

AMEN brother. Well said. I crave DOMS but can never achieve it. When I first started it was DOMS every session...not so much anymore
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My foam roller and I are likethis.
  • IHateStarving
    Options

I love-hate it. It feels oddly pleasant, but i want it gone only for one reason: So i can work out twice as hard as i did last time, working out with DOMS? Haha, doesn't happen.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I second the foam roller just got it and oh yes oh yes
  • IHateStarving
    Options
    I haven't heard of foam-roller before, is it inexpensive? I'll look it up! thanks!
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I call it "fitness hangover" and I get it from long runs. I think it's kind of badass. I like to wear compression pants (for me it's legs, but you can get other compression wear), drink water, and make sure I'm getting enough protein for recovery/rebuilding. Epsom salt baths are AWESOME for loosening muscles. I think electrolytes make me feel better in general after sweating a lot for a run, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on DOMS.

Word to your DOMS hahaha :D
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If your arms are LITERALLY swollen, might be more than DOMS. If it doesn't go down, seek medical help! Did you overdo seriously, and become injured,? Maybe someone more knowledgeable then me could comment on that. I have had to drink my coffee through a straw because of DOMS, but never saw swelling. I feelcheated if I don't have some discomfort., but wouldn't like swollen arms!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options

You said TRUTH brother !!!!

its the pain you love to hate.....and hate to love
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of foam-roller before, is it inexpensive? I'll look it up! thanks!

I got mine fore free, but I think they run about 20 bucks on amazon
  • IHateStarving
    Options
    I call it "fitness hangover" and I get it from long runs. I think it's kind of badass.

I like that term. It is pretty badass, unless you're waddling along like a penguin cause DOMS pretty much ****s up my overall movement :P
  • IHateStarving
    Options
    If your arms are LITERALLY swollen, might be more than DOMS. If it doesn't go down, seek medical help! Did you overdo seriously, and become injured,? Maybe someone more knowledgeable then me could comment on that. I have had to drink my coffee through a straw because of DOMS, but never saw swelling. I feelcheated if I don't have some discomfort., but wouldn't like swollen arms!

I think i did overdo it, i won't lie, i love the burn WHILE doing it, and because DOMS registers 24-48 hours after, you don't know how bad it's going to get once you're actually lifting, so I tend to carry on, but next time i'll turn it down a notch.

Ouch...Your DOMs sounds pretty painful...
  • ElliottTN
    Options

I think i did overdo it, i won't lie, i love the burn WHILE doing it, and because DOMS registers 24-48 hours after, you don't know how bad it's going to get once you're actually lifting, so I tend to carry on, but next time i'll turn it down a notch.

Nope, you didn't over do it. You did it right and that's why your feeling it. If you go to the gym and you arent leaving everything on te table then you might as well go hang out on the eliptical because all your doing is cardio.

Swelling is completely normal. My arm diameter easily goes up over an inch when I work them. Don't fear the swell, your doin it right.
  • IHateStarving
    Options

Nope, you didn't over do it. You did it right and that's why your feeling it. If you go to the gym and you arent leaving everything on te table then you might as well go hang out on the eliptical because all your doing is cardio.

Swelling is completely normal. My arm diameter easily goes up over an inch when I work them. Don't fear the swell, your doin it right.

Awesome! thanks for the much needed encouragement! So you mentioned you no longer get that feeling, of DOMS, why is that? Couldn't you get it every time you tried lifting something you found rather difficult to lift, it works that way, doesn't it? So even if you find it easier to lift...just keep lifting heavier. Not offering advice, it's more of a question :D
  • ElliottTN
    Options

Awesome! thanks for the much needed encouragement! So you mentioned you no longer get that feeling, of DOMS, why is that? Couldn't you get it every time you tried lifting something you found rather difficult to lift, it works that way, doesn't it? So even if you find it easier to lift...just keep lifting heavier. Not offering advice, it's more of a question :D

It differs from person to person but for the most part it's just your bodies ability to adapt to change. Your sensitivity to it is going to change over time. You may find that you will never feel doms in your chest or legs but always in your arms. Some people will never feel doms. Some people will feel doms every single time. It's really a person to person kind of thing.

Suprisingly enough, this may be the last time you feel doms in your arms unless you take a couple weeks off. You never really know. Now comes in the fun part. Doms is a great indicator of a good workout but you don't necessarily have to have doms to have a great workout. Fun stuff huh? That's why everyone who really eta into it keeps a journal of their lifts. It's really the only good indication if their workouts are effective (besides what you see in the mirror but your mind is always subjective so that is tricky as well.)

But back to what you were saying about lifting heavier. Absolutely, if you could lift heavier and keep proper form then you would e doing a disservice to yourself by not lifting heavier. A hour in the gym just jacking around with comfortable weights will never come close to a half an hour of laying all you have out there. It's seriously a go hard or your just waisting your time kind of game. Will you get doms from it? Depends from person to person and muscle group to muscle group.

Like I can beat the hell out of my shoulders and back like to the point I'm going to puke mid deadlift and never be sore the next day. If I look at squat rack the wrong way my legs are instantly sore.
  • mrsmaslin
    mrsmaslin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    eat or drink protine 30mins after a weights session this will help reduce it down somewhat
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I love-hate it. It feels oddly pleasant, but i want it gone only for one reason: So i can work out twice as hard as i did last time, working out with DOMS? Haha, doesn't happen.

This is my problem! I love the satisfaction of knowing I worked my *kitten* off, but I want it to go away so I can lift heavier and more often. Today is actually the first day that I am not practically dying from DOMS after a session of deadlifts, squats, kettle bell swings, etc. so I suppose I am getting used to it.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Swimming always helps with me. Think it's because there's no weight-bearing, the water holds you up, so your muscles work without being under load. Or something.

Anyway, swimming.