Unhappy even at goal weight/size?

Options
Overall I've dropped from a ladies (us) size 14 to a size 2; and doing my best to be consistent with my activity levels and workout and yet I'm still not entirely happy (but I thought I would be).

What gives? Has anyone else had a similar situation - like it all feels kind of bittersweet?

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal weight and I don't have my goal body but I can sympathize.

While you have a goal and you have a purpose, every inch towards it feels amazing. It's probably why they always say it's the journey and not the destination that matters the most.

Once you reach your goal, now what? Search for another goal, I guess.

I think implicitly, we have this mentality while losing weight that one pound lost = one point of happiness but as you've seen, that's not the way it is at all. Self-esteem, ironically (or not), has nothing to do how you look on the outside. For better or worse, that's the way it is.

We always assume that happiness comes after we do something but the reality is that a person with solid self-esteem will have it before. I'm not really sure how you gain that because I've never been able to do it myself but that's what I've learned from weight loss.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The problem, as I see it, is that that we want to lose weight and we can....but then we can become a smaller/thinner version of ourselves.

I think we expect to lose weight and suddenly be all slinky and muscle toned...sadly we have to work for it too.

I found that out late on in the weight loss and am now playing catch up.

It is really important that you (anybody) incorporate weight lifting/resistance training as soon as you start on MFP.

I didn`t think I would lose weight, when I joined this site. Thankfully,I have but I wish I had believed in my self more and started with weights at the start.
  • akkeri
    akkeri Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your insights and support. When I made the decision to start getting fit, I have to say I just started with cardio and then when I was able to afford weights, I started with those too. Now it's a mix of cardio and strength.

Mostly I try to focus on the fact that I'm revamping my health prospects and this is a lifelong path, not an intermediary one. I accept that some days I will want to smile at my reflection and some days I won't, but in the end its about my health. So I might not ever get a 'six pack' (of abs, no beer!) but I can work at it and feel better for trying :)
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is the article I always send to women who aren't happy with themselves: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

It goes along with what Twinketta said above. I think she has it right.
  • akkeri
    akkeri Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link - thats a great story!

Am going to check into this!!