Used up your calories at lunch, and still hungry at night?

Options
honeytgb
honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
Have you had one of those days where you binged during lunch, or maybe went junk food crazy and used up all your daily caloric budget in that one meal?

Or maybe have just a couple of hundred calories left over for dinner?

Well, I hope what I do helps you the way it helps me. But first, you gotta not be a veggie hater :tongue:

Cut thick slices of
a) Zucchini
b) Yellow Squash
c) Portobello Mushrooms

d) Asparagus stalks
e) Broccoli florets
f) Onion slices

h) Other vegetables could include --- bell peppers, eggplant, carrots

Highly recommended: Cast iron pan with grill ridges (heat is extremely even, and the ridges ensure a better sear since the veggies do not get steamed in their own juices)

I like to rinse and pre-slice the vegetables, and store them in ziploc bags so it's easy to pop them on the pan anytime.
HoQ2750.jpg

Heat up, and evenly spray the cast-iron skillet with about half-a-second of the so-called "zero-calorie" non-stick cooking sprays
(I just like the convenience)
NcKHHSDl.jpg

Lay the sliced/diced/floretted (is that even a word? in any language?) evenly on the skillet.
scLHLsw.jpg
qMtOKjo.jpg

Once done on one side after a few minutes (make sure you can see the sear lines clearly), spray the oil once more and flip them . After it's done on the other side, plate it.
GRKnT9F.jpg
HYf7qpk.jpg

And there you have it! Delicious, healthy, nutritious, instant vegetable kabobs on the tines of your fork.
SUzd8RN.jpg

My dinner of 5oz Zucchini, 5oz Yellow Squash, 5oz mushrooms, 5oz broccoli, 5oz Asparagus, 3oz red onion clocked in at
Calories: 257 kcal
Fat: 7g
Sodium: 79 mg
Carbs: 35g
Fiber: 15 g
Sugar: 16g

... for a solid 1lb 7oz of food. You won't miss the salt or any added seasoning. I promise you!

This always does the trick for me. Hope it works for you.

What tricks have you got up your sleeve? Please share!

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing! I need to get one of those grill pans!
  • toddleo87
    toddleo87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the grill pan marks make all the difference.
  • sawhiteman
    Options
    This is a fantastic contribution! Thank you for sharing!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • clau_nectarina
    clau_nectarina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This looks spectacular! I'm totally making it. Thanks for the recipe!
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    great idea :) I usually resort to a lovely mixed undressed salad, but now its nearly winter, hot food would be lovely :)
  • honeytgb
    Options
    Thanks, and you're welcome :-)

I trust you will like it.

ETA: I forgot to mention that steaming the broccoli will help cook it faster (I love mine well done and a little crispy on the outside).
    Rinse the florets (don't pat dry, leave it wet), place in a microwave safe bowl, put a lid on it loosely, and run it on HIGH for 5 MIN (for 1-2 lbs of florets).
    It steams perfectly every-time.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    That looks great thank you.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks Honeytgb, that looks terrific. :flowerforyou: I'll give it a go next time I need a calorie budget-saver... probably tomorrow!! :laugh:
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome idea! Veggies are always my go to when I eat too much in the day. Thanks for sharing!

I only have 350 calories left tonight and want something healthy... veggies comin my way!
  • ntftnm
    ntftnm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yum, I bet even my kids will eat that, looks beautiful. Any other low cal recipies? Hope Santa brings me a grill pan for Christmas......
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious! I need to make veggies like this more often. I know what pan I'll be looking to buy in the future! XD
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    im a sucker for seared veggies. think this would work just as well in a pannini press?
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestion! When I find I am in need of a low cal dinner, I will fill a pan full of veggies as well - almost exactly the same ones you used here! Although I like to add some smoked paprika. That flavour is to die for and really takes the veggies to another level! ^_^
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Looks great, OP. If you don't have a grill pan, a pile of oven roasted vegetables is great too. You'll need to spray the vegetables directly with the oil before popping them into a hot oven.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    looks great, I may try this :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well that looks amazing
  • glades250
    Options
    I love it!! nice job!!
  • honeytgb
    Options
    im a sucker for seared veggies. think this would work just as well in a pannini press?

A pannini press might squish them all flat (and create a mess).
    Be careful!
  • honeytgb
    Options
    Looks great, OP. If you don't have a grill pan, a pile of oven roasted vegetables is great too. You'll need to spray the vegetables directly with the oil before popping them into a hot oven.

True. However I prefer the drier seared result of the skillet. Oven roasted is wetter and has a slightly different flavour profile --- which is not to take anything away from how good it actually is too!!!