how to cut down on sugar?

Options
ever since i started keeping my food diary, i've noticed that my daily intake of sugar is always way more than my daily goal. most of these sugars are coming from fruit. like one single apple will have my daily goal of sugar, which i never realized. i really want to cut down on sugar, but i feel like it'd be pretty harmful to just stop eating fruits, because after all aren't they supposed to be healthy??? i just really need help because i want to continue getting all the vitamins and nutrients from fruits but i don't want to be eating excessive amounts of sugar.

Replies

• donjessop
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes my doctor arranged for a meeting with a nutritionist. At the meeting she told me, there are different kinds of sugars, those naturally occurring in fruits and those added to foods to make them more palatable. The big thing is to reduce the added sugar. When I talked to her about eating apples and the 16 - 17 grams in a Granny Smith apple, she told me not to worry about those sugars. Worry about the sugar added to processed food instead.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar at all, and have lost 123lbs in about 16 months. Enjoy your fruits!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar at all, and have lost 123lbs in about 16 months. Enjoy your fruits!

I see your 123 lbs. and raise you 312 lbs. :flowerforyou: OP concentrate on your Macro's and hit your caloric intake.. If you want something to track sub your sugar with tracking fiber..... Best of Luck
  • jcolier
    Options
    I am of the belief that modern day fruit has been selectively bred to maximize their sugar (fructose) content. I stick to berries, they have less sugar. On a side note, vegetables grown below ground also have more sugar. Something to think about if you are trying to keep your sugar to a minimum!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    I just posted a similar post! Glad I'm not the only one with the same concern.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. I do not have a medical condition that makes it a necessity.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Tracking sugar on MFP is pointless because it lumps all sugars together. Just turn it off and track fiber or something useful.
  • NardiaLyle
    Options
    I had the same problem, I love drinking tea and I have at least 3 cups a day with 2 tsp of sugar at a time, I went to the health food shop and purchased a product called Xylitol it comes from fibrous fruits and vegetables, corn cobs, and some hardwood trees, even our own bodies produce it. Although it does cost more than sugar, it’s a healthier alternative... Hope this helps:smile:
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the sugar content either as I'd be over everyday if I did.
    As long as the food is eaten in moderation and you don't go overboard on the food with added sugar. There is so many health benefits to eating fresh fruit and veg. that I wouldn't won't to miss out on those just to keep my sugar down.
  • Beckaroo94
    Options
    I don't track sugar, just carbs, protein and fat. I wouldn't worry about the sugar in fruit
  • creativecalico
    creativecalico Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read labels before I purchase food. There's a lot of sugar added to things you wouldn't think like tomato sauce.

When it comes to fruit, some (like most tropical fruit) has more sugar than others (like berries).
  • WellForte
    Options
    Stay away from deserts and all kind of sweet food stuffs. Before consuming any packaged food, make sure that you check the sugar and fat content. You will get an idea about the sugar quotient. In place of sugar you can also have the sugar substitutes.