Prenatal Yoga

Options
Im 18 weeks pregnant, and am ok'd to do some very light exercise. I want to try yoga. What are some of your favorite dvds or youtube videos? :)

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If ou are new to yoga, and especially since you're pregnant, do not DO NOT start with a DVD. Look up some classes in your area and inform the instructor you're new to the practice.
  • staplebug
    Options
    I searched youtube for prenatal workouts one day and put together this playlist. The workouts are in order by trimester and there are a lot of yoga ones towards the end. (there is also an intro to prenatal yoga video if you are new to yoga) See if you like any of them!

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I second the take a class advice. One of the fun things your body does while you're knocked up is loosen joints and ligaments to get ready to shove a tiny human through your pelvis. This can make yoga more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If ou are new to yoga, and especially since you're pregnant, do not DO NOT start with a DVD. Look up some classes in your area and inform the instructor you're new to the practice.

THIS. I successfully worked out through 2 pregnancies. Due to changes in hormones during pregnancy, your joints become much more loose. Posture and form during yoga are key....I would recommend in the very least taking a beginner class to get the proper technique down. Your local hospital/obgyn if not offering their own classes, should have recommendations for classes in your area.
  • kristensaav
    kristensaav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go to pop sugar they have all kinds of yoga videos. Also they have some fit for pregnancy toning videos. I am 28 weeks pregnant and still do cardio everyday! It has been only beneficial during my pregnancy! Eliptical and bicycling, do some more research online.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Go to pop sugar they have all kinds of yoga videos. Also they have some fit for pregnancy toning videos. I am 28 weeks pregnant and still do cardio everyday! It has been only beneficial during my pregnancy! Eliptical and bicycling, do some more research online.
    Her doctor gave her the go-ahead for "light exercise." Since exercise is generally not discouraged during pregnancy, I'm betting her pregnancy is atypical. She should listen to her DOCTOR, not a random woman on the Internet, about what exercise is appropriate for her pregnancy.

And I stand by my original post: Even the most seasoned yogis have trouble distinguishing by feel whether they're doing a posture correctly and in some cases, incorrect postures can lead to serious injuries. She needs to start with an instructor-led class, not videos.
  • nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Our local maternity store offers prenatal yoga-if you have one nearby perhaps they can recommend someone for you. And I agree posture and holding poses is key in yoga start with a class.
  • SandySherwood35
    Options
    Hi! I recommend Prenatal Vinyasa Yoga with Jennifer Wolfe andPrenatal Yoga with Desi Bartlett as they offer a variety of easy and effective prenatal yoga routines. I am a fitness and yoga intructor in downtown Chicago for 10 years now and we basically incorporate their system with ours as it is very effective.

Also you have to understand that only you know your body best so if you feel that one system doesn't work well for you or makes you feel uncomfortable then you have to stop and find another system that will better suit you.

Sandy Sherwood

www.yogaforpregnancy.net/
  • YogaFitnessGuru
    Options
    Yoga enthusiasts frequently hold yoga retreats to make a community behind their hobby. You can also visit about Yoga Fitness Guru
    http://yogafitnessguru.com/.