Weight loss after pregnency

Options
Hi, I recently had a baby 5 months ago and I started to get into fitness in the last 2 months, I exercise 3 to 4 times a week which consists of pilates, boxing, cardio and weight class, In the last 2 weeks I have stepped up my exercise to 4 to 5 times a week, however, the weight is not falling off as quick as I would like, and in the last couple of weeks I have put on weight!.
I have never had a struggle to lose weight when I put my mind to it..

Feeling frustrated can anyone help?? I was thinking maybe I need to do more cardio, in the classes I do 3 of them consist of cardio... Summer is fast approaching and I"m feel very uncomfortable your assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Are you breast feeding? I was told that your body holds around an extra 5kg/12lbs of fat purely to facilitate breast milk production. When you stop the weight comes off easily but it's really hard to budge otherwise.

Otherwise, I'd suggest eating less - are you weighing and measuring everything?
  • MeghanKinnon
    MeghanKinnon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was always told it takes you 9 months to put on the weight it is going to take 9 months to lose it. My daughter will be 7 months on the 21st and I PRAY I lose all this weight by the time she turns 9 months. But I also have 30 pounds to lose.
  • NardiaLyle
    Options
    No I'm not breastfeeding, I was under the impression that breast feeding you lose weight!! you hear so many different stories with regards to pregnancy.. No I don't weigh my food maybe its something I need to do!! I haven't heard that it takes 9 months to lose the weight I do have a couple of friends that lost all the weight and more within six months!!! but for me this is not the case!!!
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that once you stop breastfeeding you will lose weight, I as well always thought it was the other way around. Only reason I ask is that I've been breastfeeding for 9.5 months now and I haven't dropped a pound in 4 weeks. I was losing weight steadily and then it just kind of stopped.

OP I'm kinda in the same situation as you at the moment. I've had to hide the scale because I was getting discouraged. I'm losing inches though! So I'm going to keep the scale in the closet for the next few weeks and then see what my weight is. I know my diet affects my weight, if I eat too much salt, eat some sweets, etc. and I'm always under my calorie goal. Wish I could be of some help :)
  • Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i lost a good amount of weight while breastfeeding.. it was when i stopped breast feeding i started to pile on the pounds. i worked out every morning 60mins of cardio and another 30 mins of cardio and i lost nothing, and barely maintained.
    eventually i gave up and this was of jan thru march of this year.
    now i'm back and after 2 months of figuring out what works for me, i'm finally starting to lose.

check what you are eating, i ate a ton of carbs, white rice was my favorite thing to eat and had it with most of my meals.
    I cut out white rice/bread/pasta and flour and increase my veggies and found better alternatives and in my first week of doing so i lost 6lbs.

re-evaluate ur diet and keep up the momentum of ur work outs
  • PriscillaBramble
    PriscillaBramble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My first child- the weight melted away within 6 months. My second child did not. I still have another 15 lbs to loose to be back at my goal weight (he is 2). I didn't exercise much the first year. Then when I realized I had to do something I started going to gym. Lost 15 lbs hit a plaque started exercising 6 times a week and eating cleaner lost 5 more lbs and still working consstently
  • Buhbee
    Buhbee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have been there and definitely feel your pain. I had my son a year ago and it took me a while to lose the weight. But like the other posts have said, it took 9 months to put it on and it will take 9 months to take it off. Don't get discouraged though, it does happen. It just takes time. One thing that helped me lose the baby weight was circuit training. I am now more toned than I was post pregnancy and the smallest I have been in years, I highly recommend it.