Have no core stength whatsoever-Need a routine?

Options
I am a person who likes a lot of cardio as well as strength but when it comes to core work, I fail miserably with planks and just balancing in general! I need a routine to help me tone my stomach and help me develop a better core strength!

Thank you

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Proper strength training should be working your core hard with basic lifts. If you're not working your core hard when doing strength training, you're doing strength training wrong.
  • janelle615
    janelle615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I engage my core through weigh training. Ive been recently using kettlebells. Its really effective because it is engaging your whole body! However, I guess what I am saying is...I want a workout routine that just strictly focuses on core and I just want to implement it in my exercise program. I went to a Pilates class and I thought it was the hardest thing ever!
  • janelle615
    Options
    I engage my core through weigh training. Ive been recently using kettlebells. Its really effective because it is engaging your whole body! However, I guess what I am saying is...I want a workout routine that just strictly focuses on core and I just want to implement it in my exercise program. I went to a Pilates class and I thought it was the hardest thing ever!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

The general consensus is that isolation core exercises, for the most part, don't do much to actually strengthen the core. At least not until you reach more advanced exercises like dragon flags, hanging leg raises, etc...

In my personal experience, sandbag training, suspension training, kettlebell training, and basic bodyweight work (moving onto more intermediate work now) are the best ways to do it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Then keep doing pilates until you build your core?

I'm not really understanding what you are looking for...I think maybe patience is the problem here. A good lifting routine where you don't shy from heavy weight (safely, of course), is a great way to build core. Kettlebells are great, too. But it's definitely not going to happen over night. You need to find a routine and stick with it consistently for a long period of time.
  • janelle615
    Options
    So what exercises do you recommend for kettlebell training? I recently started and I do a lot of swings.

And by bodyweight exercises, do you mean mountain climbers, squat jumps, burpees, plank push ups etc.
  • Rothwilder
    Rothwilder Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Insanity. Has all of those and focuses on core strength. I went from 1 pushup to 50 at a time in less than three months (proper form too)

But home workout isn't the best fit for everyone.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    So what exercises do you recommend for kettlebell training? I recently started and I do a lot of swings.

And by bodyweight exercises, do you mean mountain climbers, squat jumps, burpees, plank push ups etc.

With kettlebells I do figure 8, snatch, clean, swings are good for beginners but you will want to progress from them early on unless you can keep moving upt o heavier KBs.

Yup, those bodyweight exercises.
  • janelle615
    Options
    You are right about the patience part and I dont really have pilates classes during the times I go to the gym. I guess I just want a consistent basic core workout after a run or lift.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Kettlebell swings and kettlebell snatches are great. So are turkish get ups (you can start with just your body weight). Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1ULxRpp2w

Mountain climbers, medicine ball situps (hold ball from behind head and bring it up with you), planks (and weighted planks), pushups and burpees will help your core. And a lifting regimen.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm not really understanding what you are looking for...I think maybe patience is the problem here. A good lifting routine where you don't shy from heavy weight (safely, of course), is a great way to build core. Kettlebells are great, too. But it's definitely not going to happen over night. You need to find a routine and stick with it consistently for a long period of time.

Agreed.

Though I will add that even with heavy compound lifts, you have to be somewhat conscious and intentionally engage your core to really get the most out of the lift. In the most literal sense, this is simply correct technique, but it something that a lot of people (including myself) often overlook.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Insanity. Has all of those and focuses on core strength. I went from 1 pushup to 50 at a time in less than three months (proper form too)

But home workout isn't the best fit for everyone.

^ This too. Insanity has a lot of core work. And Roth loves it!
  • PRMinx
    Options

Agreed.

Though I will add that even with heavy compound lifts, you have to be somewhat conscious and intentionally engage your core to really get the most out of the lift. In the most literal sense, this is simply correct technique, but it something that a lot of people (including myself) often overlook.

Indeed. As my coach says...if you want to get it right, keep it tight!
  • janelle615
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    So basically patience, body weight exercises, and a good strength routine!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    if you want to get it right, keep it tight!

*like*
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Lots of things will build a strong core, from squats/deadlifts to yoga. A friend of mine does a video routine from the p90x guy called Abs Core Plus that I tried a few times and it was good-- more like a 20 minute cardio+core workout sort of thing.

Anyway, I like compound lifts myself, with one dedicated core routine once a week, but the best looking midsection I've ever seen in person is on an ashtanga yoga teacher. :o