half marathon training question

Options
Good Morning... I'm not here to get put done for any reason.. I'm here to better myself. Just wanted to put that out there before I start. One of my friends has asked me to do a half marathon with her in March.. I can run 6 miles pretty good but I was wondering how or what could I do to train for a half marathon??

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Find a plan online and stick to it. Hal Higdon plans are pretty good.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    You have plenty of time to train before March. Google training for a half marathon and a lot of different programs will come up. Just choose one that will work for you.

Make sure you do one long run a week. I just completed my first in October and i did long runs on Sunday, that is where i added miles. I always took Monday off then.

If you can do 6 miles now you should be able to do a half by March.

Good luck
  • Brewster1620
    Brewster1620 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just completed my first half-marathon. Being able to run 6 miles is a GREAT start! There are lots of great training programs on the web. Hal Higdon is one of the most popular I believe. I did the coolrunning one. Just pick a plan (google it) - they are usually 12 weeks so you have plenty of time and stick with it and you will do great!

Janice
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everybody... I'm going to go and look at them...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you can run 6, you can definitely run a half in March with a training plan. I second Hal Higdon's plan, linked above. Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Runners World has a SmartCoach. You can enter in a recent race time and it will tailor a program for you based on when the half is. The one it gave me is fairly intense so I might play with it more and see what it gives me. It's predicting I'll finish the half in 2:17 which is over 30 minutes faster than my previous half time.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Good Morning... I'm not here to get put done for any reason.. I'm here to better myself. Just wanted to put that out there before I start.

I'm really bummed you felt like you needed to add that to the top of your post. I hope you don't think there are a bunch of bullies out here!

I also love Hal Higdon, as mentioned above. Just enjoy yourself and finish. Don't get caught up in how fast you go on your first one. It's a great experience and an achievement that not many can say they have done. Good luck. You'll do great!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    runtastic has some great plans for half marathons. I used one to run mine. I would highly recommend it