How often should you weigh yourself?

Options
I'm trying to figure out how often I should weigh myself. I feel in the past when I've weighed myself daily it became almost an obsession with the scale. Is once a week not enough? How often do you all feel is enough?

Replies

• Coopaloopsmom
    Options
    I weigh daily and record it. Just so i can see my normal daily fluctuations and how food/certain times of the month/life effects me. As long as my graph has a downward angle I'm good.
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i was just about to post something like this because of curiosity of everybody's weighing rituals.

i weigh myself daily in the morning but do not record gain/loss unless the number is the same 2 days in a row.

do you weigh yourself w/ or w/o clothes? i feel like that kind of makes a difference too.
  • AronKishore
    Options
    Don't let numbers define you as a person. I weight myself in month like increments, but instead of putting emphasis on how much I weigh overall, I take pictures of my self and compare them gradually as I come closer to the end of the month
  • changingdirections
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everyday... Often if you weigh everyday, you will fluctuate a bit, but don't sweat if you go up by a pound or so... I am told that your fat cells never go away once they are made... Often they will fill up with water when the fat has gone out of them and within 3 days the water will flush out of them.

Hope this helps...
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been a daily weigher since the beginning, and have logged it every step of the way. Its been very useful in figuring out trends. Never really freaked out over it, even if my weight seemed to go up a lot over just 24 hours, because I now know from experience that those anomalies even back out just as quickly

Anyway I'm now also doing a weekly log as part of a contest with someone else. I've been hovering around 217 for the past week, but my official weigh in day had me at 220-- a bump up from last week's log. If I were only going by the weekly figures that would be insanely discouraging.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and record it. Just so i can see my normal daily fluctuations and how food/certain times of the month/life effects me. As long as my graph has a downward angle I'm good.

^^^ This is what I do :-)
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, and then average the week's weights once a week. This shows the overall trend and factors in the daily fluctuations.
  • amontanye
    amontanye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ^^ This is what I do. weigh every day or almost every day to see what my normal fluxuations are and compare actual loss or gain once a week.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    ^^ This is what I do. weigh every day or almost every day to see what my normal fluxuations are and compare actual loss or gain once a week.
    Ditto.
  • herheighness
    Options
    I can't weigh daily. I tried. It's depressing. I weigh maybe once/twice a week, but I only log it if it's a down. I know the ups, nobody else needs to, but that's just me! Do whatever works for you!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi - I weigh every day for the reasons most above have said.

But weight is just one benchmark for me.

I regularly track

1. Waist size
    2. Resting Heart Rate
    3. Time to run certain distances
    4. Weight lifted

etc. etc. etc.

Also... I created a new thing to graph in my profile where I take the 10 day average of my weight.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself as often as you feel you need to get feedback and track your progress, but not so often that you feel it's counterproductive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how often I should weigh myself. I feel in the past when I've weighed myself daily it became almost an obsession with the scale. Is once a week not enough? How often do you all feel is enough?

what's more important is that you are doing it at the same time and under the same conditions. If you don't understand how NATURAL body weight fluctuations work you probably should just weigh yourself once a week or so. It really depends on you...if you have a lot of disordered thinking going on then weighing yourself often is just going to make things worse for you.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This is what I do also. I try to weigh myself around the same time everyday so that I'm accurate and then take the average from my week's worth of weigh ins to figure out where my loss is at. For me at least daily weigh ins help me to track my body's normal fluctuations.

I also measure myself every two weeks at my arm, chest, ribs, waist, hips, and thigh. While I do enjoy seeing the pounds drop I get far more satisfaction seeing the inches shrink bit by bit. My weight, like everyone's, fluctuates daily and even hourly so I don't let myself get upset if I am up .5-1.5 lbs one day. I am still steadily losing inches and pounds and that's what I focus on.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    everyday when you wake up, naked. Can't really tell what's going on with weekly plot points
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh only once a week, normally when I wake up and with no clothing on. Really you need to weigh as much as you feel you need to. If it feels like it's becoming too obsessive for you, then maybe slack back to every week or every two weeks. It's really up to you.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As often as you want! There is no right answer!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

New people come on here all the time and older people leave. All topics and questions have been discussed before. The search feature is a good tool but it's also perfectly okay for people to keep discussing things and ask their own questions.