looking for a fitness bracelet- any suggestions?

Options
I'm looking at getting a fitness bracelet...any recommendations from anyone? I was looking at Fitbit flex. Has anyone used one and what do you think? I also looked at the Jawbone UP. I found Polar Loop and Amiigo articles online but would like to know more.

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP. I like it, but its just a pedometer with sleep tracking and a silent alarm. It's not helpful to track other types of exercise. I still think its super helpful for me, just to sort of keep an eye on myself.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bump for suggestions.
  • thinfitfabulous
    thinfitfabulous Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bumppp
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Flex and I love it! I thought about the Force but didn't go with it only because I have a lot of pretty watches and felt it was pointless since I'd only get it for the display screen anyway. I love the app/site as well. It's easy to use and it easily syncs up with MFP so you only update your food/water/exercise on here and it'll carry over to Fitbit. It also accounts any extra calories on MFP according to what you have logged. Like, if you calculated 400 calories burned but the fitbit notices you burned more in that timeframe you were working out it'll adjust it on MFP. My only complaint is that I feel that the calories burned is wayyy overestimated so I just focus on what I do with my workouts. It includes your BMR but I wouldn't include that for calories lost by working out.

...I literally should be a salesperson for them...
  • jkoot
    jkoot Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey! From what I have seen online the Polar Loop bracelet looks like my top pick. I like the feature that you can pair it with a heart rate monitor to increase accuracy. Also I like the feature that it tells you how much you would have to do to reach your goal (ie. 20 minute run). I like the gadget and tracking side of these bracelets, and the loop looks like it has a good iPhone app as well as a website to track your progress! I found this blog - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/polar-loop-firstlook.html - reviewing the bracelet very helpful and detailed!! Just waiting for another pay check to come in before I order it online! :)
  • Dren13
    Options
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to use it for/accomplish with it?

I have a flex, but as with any device, it's good for some things and lousy for others.
  • Dren13
    Options

I have a flex, but as with any device, it's good for some things and lousy for others.

I would like accuracy- am looking for something with a heart rate monitor as well. Currently my workouts consist of running and cross-fit. Something to monitor my daily activity both in the gym and out.
  • Dren13
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP. I like it, but its just a pedometer with sleep tracking and a silent alarm. It's not helpful to track other types of exercise. I still think its super helpful for me, just to sort of keep an eye on myself.

No heart rate monitor? I was hoping it had one :(
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been very satisifed with my FitBit Flex for what it does.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I would like accuracy- am looking for something with a heart rate monitor as well. Currently my workouts consist of running and cross-fit. Something to monitor my daily activity both in the gym and out.

1) HRMs and activity monitors like the flex are fundamentally different. They do different things and are intended to be used in different ways.

2) Accuracy is a myth. Everything is an estimate.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. I use it mainly to monitor my TDEE and make sure that I am eating at 500 calories below my TDEE. It get me motivated to move more on those days that I see I might not reach the goal TDEE. It does track calories burned during cardio too which is nice (obviously it's not perfect since it is not a HRM) but close enough for me. It is easy to use and great customer service.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I purchased a FItBit Flex & have been using it for about 2 months. For me personally, I like that I see every day that I need to walk more, so it's a great reminder to get moving. I have a desk job, so I have started walking to the restroom that is further away & parking my car in the back of the parking lot just to get in extra steps. There are some cons, though: 1) Pushing a shopping cart will make it vibrate just enough to put it in sleep mode, so I am constantly checking it in the grocery. 2) Pushing a lawn mower either puts it in sleep mode or the vibrations count as steps, e.g. cutting the grass might be 1,000 steps but FitBit measures it as 5,000 due to the vibrations from the mower handle. I do think it also picks up other activity as steps but in the end, I still use it because it is a visible reminder to walk/jog/run every day & provides the motivation boost at the end of the day if I'm under my daily goal. I also like the sleep mode - every day, even though I pretty much know whether I haven't slept especially well, I can see when & how many times I was restless or awake. Again, not 100% accurate, but works well enough for me. I don't use if for calorie counts, but I only log my daily "intense" exercise (hour specifically for interval training, walking, etc) using my HRM.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Bump for tips....
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Hey! From what I have seen online the Polar Loop bracelet looks like my top pick. I like the feature that you can pair it with a heart rate monitor to increase accuracy. Also I like the feature that it tells you how much you would have to do to reach your goal (ie. 20 minute run). I like the gadget and tracking side of these bracelets, and the loop looks like it has a good iPhone app as well as a website to track your progress! I found this blog - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/polar-loop-firstlook.html - reviewing the bracelet very helpful and detailed!! Just waiting for another pay check to come in before I order it online! :)

I have the Loop and I loved it the first couple days but there have been some major software issues and I haven't even had it a full week.. I chose it for the same reasons you mentioned but I would give it a couple weeks to make sure they have worked the kinks out before I would purchase it. You can see some of the feedback on their Facebook page.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Misfit Shine? From Apple ... http://store.apple.com/au/product/HC721ZM/A/misfit-shine-personal-fitness-monitor-water-resistant

My daughter gave me one yesterday, still learning how to use it ... :smile: