Gym or not?

Options
Ok question. My lower back and neck are completely messed up and hurt really bad. Should I go to the gym today and just do light cardio or something or not go at all?

Replies

• Flex382
    Flex382 Posts: 257
    Options
    What do u mean by messed up and hurt?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What do u mean by messed up and hurt?

Yeah, this is sort of important information.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Did you pull a muscle?

If you think you damaged something then no, don't go to the gym. Working through "normal" pain is one thing; working through an injury will only make it worse. Ice, ibuprofen and rest will do it some good. And time. If it doesn't get better, go see a doctor.

As to light cardio - it depends. Don't do anything that makes you feel worse.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Like chiropractic-ally messed up? If that's the case your muscles are inflamed and tight because your spine is out of alignment. Its best to get those muscles to loosen up and relax before you go work out. Otherwise OUCH!
  • kelly52288
    Options
    Well i guess the muscles were pulled? I dont really know how to explain it. Theres a knot in my lower back and my neck is just sore i think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well i guess the muscles were pulled? I dont really know how to explain it. Theres a knot in my lower back and my neck is just sore i think.

you dont wan tto mess with your back... i vote rest
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • kelly52288
    Options
    Yes?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes?

Let me make sure I understand... You're saying that you hurt your neck/back and can't tell if you should work out or rest? You can't really describe the injury (what you did or how bad it is), but you need us to tell you whether or not you should go to the gym for some light cardio?

• MassiveDelta
    Options
    Yes?

Let me make sure I understand... You're saying that you hurt your neck/back and can't tell if you should work out or rest? You can't really describe the injury (what you did or how bad it is), but you need us to tell you whether or not you should go to the gym for some light cardio?

I think it really does seem this simple.
  • kelly52288
    Options
    Well I got into a fight and the girl grabbed the back of my neck and pulled me down..into a bent over position...Now my neck is tight and sore and there is a large knot in my lower back on the left side. I didnt really want to put that out there but i guess thats the only way to explain what happened? I would really like to go to the gym today because i only got to go twice this week and i wont be able to go over the weekend. Should i risk it? will it make the lower back pain worse? The pain is pretty bad in the lower back. it hurts to walk. but i thought maybe if i walked more it would stretch it out?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Rest day. OR if you must go and punch a heavy bag to work that out.

You could have just said, got into a fight. Pretty much always an auto rest day.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Girl you sound real classy.

ohh-girl-hold-my-earrings.gif

HOLD MAH EARINS!!

pCgOyMs.gif
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    So when she had you pulled down, into a bent over position...were you wearing yoga pants? And did anyone take a photo to share? :love: :blushing:
  • kelly52288
    Options

ohh-girl-hold-my-earrings.gif

HOLD MAH EARINS!!

pCgOyMs.gif
    OK? that's why i wasn't trying to put it out there.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

*image removed*

HOLD MAH EARINS!!

*image removed*
    OK? that's why i wasn't trying to put it out there.

I agree that was just stupid.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go. the back sounds painful!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You could try doing a recumbent bike, if you really want to work out. But if I were you, I'd probably stay home and do some resting. With ibuprofen.
  • HandyASH
    HandyASH Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would do some light yoga at home. Lots of stretching and rest.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    From someone who frequently and easily pulls their back muscle from an injury years ago....when it comes to your back - don't f**k with it. Rest up and feel better. It'll only take longer to heal if you make it worse by going to the gym.