Am I in Starvation Mode?

Options
I know this is a sore subject but I have to ask, especially since my doctor started through this term around.

I eat an average of 700 calories a day, I've been having some loose bowels for a couple of months now but I'm still losing weight. I don't know how quickly. I excercise about 30 mins of running 3-4 days a week. I'm worried because my doctor said I wasn't eating enough and I need to eat closer to 1500 calories but I'm not hungry and my family telling me to eat more icecream doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

Am I in starvation mode? If so, what can I do to get out of it?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is an overused term, but yes you need to eat more. Hunger can actually be a bad indicator of nutrition. Your body produces a hormone called leptin to signal that your hungry. When you undereat for a prolonged period of time your leptin levels decrease and you stop being as hungry.

The way you get that back is to eat more.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Forget about starvation mode. What you are doing is extremely unhealthy. There is no way you can get enough nutrients on 700 calories a day. You may be losing weight but you're also well on your way to an eating disorder if you've convinced yourself that you aren't hungry eating that little. I'm not sure 1500 calories would be enough but it would definitely be a start.

Eat foods with more calories instead of just eating more food. Ice cream isn't the answer but you can eat full fat dairy, nuts, oils, meats, eggs, avocado, peanut butter.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I know this is a sore subject but I have to ask, especially since my doctor started through this term around.

I eat an average of 700 calories a day, I've been having some loose bowels for a couple of months now but I'm still losing weight. I don't know how quickly. I excercise about 30 mins of running 3-4 days a week. I'm worried because my doctor said I wasn't eating enough and I need to eat closer to 1500 calories but I'm not hungry and my family telling me to eat more icecream doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

Women need at least 1200 calories a say, anything under is under-eating (though depending on the person 1200 calories can be under-eating too but it's better than being under 1200). Trying upping to 1200 first and then making your way to 1500. Also, are you eating 700 calories and then excising because you net calories will be affected if you do that and that will result in less calories in your net goal which is what you should be looking at.
  • NerwenAldarion
    NerwenAldarion Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Women need at least 1200 calories a say, anything under is under-eating (though depending on the person 1200 calories can be under-eating too but it's better than being under 1200). Trying upping to 1200 first and then making your way to 1500. Also, are you eating 700 calories and then excising because you net calories will be affected if you do that and that will result in less calories in your net goal which is what you should be looking at.

Yes I am eating 700 calories and exercising.

I'm trying to up my calorie intake, I got to 1000 yesterday but I'm still just not hungry enough to eat more than 900 or so.
  • xoxodarladeexoxo
    Options
    I have a similar problem. When i used starvation mode i meant it as in i'm not getting enough nutrients, and i'm getting lightheaded more often. People take it as i'm starving like i havent' eaten in days and my body is ready to shut down
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You really need to listen to your Dr and eat more. If you are unable to eat more food, then make sure the food you are eating is higher in protein, fat and more calorie dense. This could help considerably to up your caloric intake... it doesn't mean go eat a gallon of ice cream.

That means add some nuts, dairy, and meat to your diet. Those will certainly be a good healthy way to increase calories.

Having soft stools is not good either.... it's a sign that your body isn't getting something that it needs! Again, listen to your Dr.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I'm trying to up my calorie intake, I got to 1000 yesterday but I'm still just not hungry enough to eat more than 900 or so.

Your protein and fat intake are really low (only 5g of protein on Sunday?!). Don't be afraid to add an extra protein source and some good fats into your diet. Your body needs them to help keep your muscles strong, your hormones in balance, and your cells healthy.

Just looking at the past few days in your diary, there are some easy ways to increase your calories without a lot of extra food. First, ditch the diet food. Replace your light & fit yogurt with a full fat variety. Add a handful of almonds to your day. A small handful can add a couple of hundred calories without filling your stomach. Use cheese, avocado, mayo, etc. on your sandwiches. Add some vegetables roasted in olive oil or a small salad with real salad dressing, cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.

It really should be simple to boost your calories by a few hundred at each meal with some planning. You don't have to eat more, just eat smarter.
  • NerwenAldarion
    NerwenAldarion Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Your protein and fat intake are really low (only 5g of protein on Sunday?!). Don't be afraid to add an extra protein source and some good fats into your diet. Your body needs them to help keep your muscles strong, your hormones in balance, and your cells healthy.

Just looking at the past few days in your diary, there are some easy ways to increase your calories without a lot of extra food. First, ditch the diet food. Replace your light & fit yogurt with a full fat variety. Add a handful of almonds to your day. A small handful can add a couple of hundred calories without filling your stomach. Use cheese, avocado, mayo, etc. on your sandwiches. Add some vegetables roasted in olive oil or a small salad with real salad dressing, cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.

It really should be simple to boost your calories by a few hundred at each meal with some planning. You don't have to eat more, just eat smarter.

All right I'll try that. Thank you
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ya~ you are starving you're body from nutrition ...Eat
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

If you cant eat enough calories because your not hungry enough you need to eat more calorie dense foods or add a supplement shake. .
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hungry really isn't a good indicator. I think you have to look at eating a bit like you would a training regime. I know I am. There are somedays that I have to find ways to cut back and others when I have to think of ways to reach my daily goals. Today I am planning an afternoon latte because its going to be a low day. I have little appetite. Food is fuel. You want enough.

Ditching the diet versions is a great place to start. Add more protein to each meal. Protein and fat generally have more calories per serving so you don't have to eat huge quantities of them. Nuts are an easy source. Adding a tsp of olive or sesame oil to your meat when serving it is another way to bump it up and to boost the flavour. I eat lentils, chickpeas and quinoa in various ways to boost my nutritional intake too- portions are smaller. I schedule my calorie day first thing in the morning and adjust as needed, but I know in advance when I have to get creative or pull out the cashews.