HELP WITH CALORIES BURNED!!!

Options
I don't have the money for an expensive chest strap heart rate monitor, but I found some on Ebay that are just regular watches???? Do you think this is good? Better than Nothing??? or a waste of time, $$ and effort?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have read to stay away from the watch only ones. You really need a chest strap one.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The watch ones work fine, but you have to remember to check your heart rate every time your workout changes in intensity (chest strap HRMs constantly monitor your heartrate, but wristwatch kinds require you to check it periodically) to get an accurate calorie count.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    The one I was looking at says HRM and Calorie counter......
  • StephenBecker
    Options
    I LIKE MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have a MIO, which was the cheapest one I could find in the store but seems pretty accurate. It lets you set your weight, age, and resting heart rate. It tracks calories burned and duration of workout, as well as distance covered if I am walking/hiking.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I have one that does both. I never use the watch alone. You have to keep touching the watch through out the workout or whatever your doing. I just shut it off...like I'm going to remember to touch the watch while doing jumping jacks...lol. I spent like $60 something on mine at ****'s (ok so mine also had a military discount...It's $69.99)

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4344982&cp=2367438.2367453.2368579
  • StephenBecker
    Options
    too bad i had sex with your mom last night
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've had a watch only and my current one with a strap does both. In my opinion the watch only is good for checking your resting heart rate, but that's about it. Both of mine took between 6-10 seconds to get a reading and that's if it worked and that's pretty useless during an intense exercise, and dangerous if you are riding a bike. I'd look for a sale. I got my last one for half price (regular price around $90) at Academy Sports. Just do some research and be patient waiting to be able to get one with a chest strap is worth it, and the price difference is really not much. Check amazon they have some good ones as well.

I don't personally know how Omron is but this got 4 stars at Amazon with 705 customer reviews. That's pretty damn good. Come to think of it I might buy this one lol it does a couple things mine does not. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288106958&sr=8-1
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My chest strap Timex HRM from amazon only cost about 38 bucks and I love it.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Thanks summer!!!!!! I'll have to check it out!