Lose weight then build muscle or Do both at the same time?

Options
I went from 198 to 194 pounds in about two-3 weeks. My weight is distributed in a manner that makes me appear to be smaller than most people who weigh the amount that I do. I want to get down to 165 or 155 to begin with because I was happy with my body at that size. I want to lose weight but I desire to have thick muscular legs and a relatively flat mid section. Should I focus of losing weight and then toning and trying to build muscle or is it customary to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. I eat at or under 1200 daily and burn at least 400 calories a day. I drink a herbal life shake and spiced tea without sugar and water each day and I eat fish egs and spinach salads and peanuts and that is it with the exception of a snack bar or mixed vegetables or an occasional piece of fruit.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Focus on losing weight, but lift while you do it. Assuming you stick to those numbers, get down to 150-155, then do a slow bulk to 165-170, then cut back down to a where you're happy.

Repeat as necessary.

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights the entire time that I have been losing weight. It is sooo much easier to keep the muscle that you currently have (underneath the fat) than to lose it and try to regain it. While you are losing weight, lifting helps you to retain your muscles, but you probably won't build much.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights the entire time that I have been losing weight. It is sooo much easier to keep the muscle that you currently have (underneath the fat) than to lose it and try to regain it. While you are losing weight, lifting helps you to retain your muscles, but you probably won't build much.

^^this
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

^^this

x2

Also, keep in mind that you should be eating more than 1200 calories. They way MFP is intended is to eat back exercise calories. If you maintain a 1200 calorie diet and stay active, there is a greater chance you will not only lose fat, but lose muscle with it. With only 30 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week should be your goal. And if you exercise 5 days a week, you should either set your account to moderate (essentially the TDEE method) or eat back exercise calories.

Also to help muscle preservation, update your account to incorporate more protein. 40% carbs, 30% protein and fat generally allow you to hit 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass.

If you want to post your height and workout routine, we can estimate calories for you.
  • NaoyukiTai
    NaoyukiTai Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Ditto.

I lost précis muscle and working on regaining it. Really hard work.
  • PeterCohenUK
    Options
    Do both at the same time.

Combine cardio (to lose weight) and weight training (to build muscle) in your routine. Perhaps 25 minutes cardio and 35 minutes weight training on different body part each day.

For more details, try this program: http://InsaneBodyShape.com
  • Mikele17
    Mikele17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Do both at the same time.

Combine cardio (to lose weight) and weight training (to build muscle) in your routine. Perhaps 25 minutes cardio and 35 minutes weight training on different body part each day.

For more details, try this program: http://InsaneBodyShape.com

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Op is netting approx. 800 calories (according to their post). The OP isn't going to build any muscle on your "plan" eating at such an extreme deficit. I would challenge the OP would gain any muscle in a deficit at all. The 35 minutes of weight training would do wonders to help the OP keep muscle mass though.