19 year old hypertensive to aspiring competitor

Options
Three years ago, I partied too much, ate too much, never exercised and inherited an unfortunate gene of hereditary heart issues. I was on a beta blocker by 19 - twice the dose of my mother's same prescription. I started nursing school, started running, and lost about 40 lbs...

Then I got pregnant and things got a little difficult to keep up, being by myself in a small college town because my husband was deployed. When he got back to the states, I decided to stay in my little college town with no family around and just me and my baby.. Why? because I refused to be dependent on anybody and I wanted to complete my degree, plus I knew that sooner or later he can resign and move with me...

He didn't get stationed here till about a month after I graduated college, so I did it on my own.. Now, a year and a half after that, I am working on my masters as a full time student, working 2 jobs (one full and one per diem), meal prep, and still do laundry/wash dishes and fold clothes. In reality, if you really want it, you will make time for it. I take my notes and study while on the stair master, I sit on the couch and read while waiting on laundry, and cook enough for 3-5 days at a time for my husband and son.

It IS possible... I thought the people I went to school with who had kids were crazy, but what I learned through this process is there is absolutely nothing (that is rational) that I cannot accomplish with a family.

We are strong. THIS is GOD's greatest gift to us... It is not our material possessions, but our capability to achieve what we put our mind into. As I heard in church a while back, we have to expand our foundation and BELIEVE in ourselves, because as soon as we do, God provides the strength. He will NEVER give us more than what he thinks we can handle!!!!

Starting weight in 2010 - 205 lbs, some high percent of body fat

August this year - 167 lbs with 25% body fat

Today - 161 and 20% BF- the difference is tweaking my diet, lifting heavier and increasing my cardio. Made such a huge difference!

Replies

• Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!! You look great!!
  • khicks125
    Options
    So inspiring! Congratulations on so many accomplishments, and thanks to your husband for his service!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Awesome work. Your diligence is REALLY paying off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!