Dinner ideas?

Options
I need *cheap* ideas for dinner. I can generally feed myself cheap and healthy dinners but I'm cooking for my family (of 3) and I struggle with that. I can figure out how to make something that's cheap. I cannot figure out for some reason how to make something that's low calorie and cheap.

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Lentils + frozen veggies. Slow-cooked chicken or pork, shredded, rolled with veggies in tortillas or egg roll wrappers, baked until crisp. Small baked potatoes topped with seasoned ground turkey or chicken. Scrambled eggs or egg whites, turkey sausage, and fruit. Quinoa or couscous, tuna, and veggies with low-cal dressing or sauce, baked casserole-style. Deli salami or turkey, a little cheese, and shredded cabbage or carrots rolled in wonton wrappers and baked crisp -- mix low-cal ranch with a little Buffalo sauce for a delicious dip. Light English muffins spread with store bought pesto and topped with tomatoes and chicken.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Greek Chick breast Pitas

chicken breast cooked and seasoned
    Josephs Pita pockets
    cucumbers
    Red Onion
    Parmesan
    Home Made Tzatziki sauce
    Red leaf or Green leaf lettuce
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    Braised chicken recipes using thighs or drumsticks and plenty of veg served on rice, cous cous or quinoa (though quinoa is pricier). Google Coq Au Vin, Chicken Tagine or Braised Chicken for recipes.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I think tonight we're having grilled BBQ chicken breasts (you can bake it if you don't have a grill), baked sweet potatoes (I love putting a little butter and a lot of cinnamon on it, especially paired with something BBQ!), and steamed broccoli. It probably cost about $8 and feeds two of us.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Costco rotisserie chicken and a veggie. Cheap, easy, good protein, and can be used for multiple meals.
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    Chicken tacos - cook chicken with salsa in crockpot. Serve with tortillas and condiments.

Dried pastas are an idea. Yes they have carbs. But if you load them with vegetables, then it's moderation. Kids love pasta also.

White chicken chili is great (great northern beans, chicken, chili seasoning, onions)

Anything with dried beans. Veggie chili is awesome. Beans, tomatoes, onions, chili seasoning, tomato sauce. One of my favorites.

Tomato soup - I use canned whole tomatoes. Sautee onion in small amount of oil. Add tomatoes, puree when completed.
    (Season to taste. I like crushed red pepper flakes and dried basil in mine)

Cabbage rolls - can use ground chuck for leaner option.

You can always do pizzas. Use toritillas instead of crust. Top with each of your favorites. I love flat bread pizzas. For kids, I just use sauce and cheese.

Pork roast can go a long ways. You can cook one huge one. Use it for bbqs, tacos, etc.

Also if I splurge on like steak and have left overs, I make pepper steak and rice with left overs. Brown rice is healthy choice.

I learned one of the best ways to save money is to revamp leftovers into new dishes.

Just ideas.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think tonight we're having grilled BBQ chicken breasts (you can bake it if you don't have a grill), baked sweet potatoes (I love putting a little butter and a lot of cinnamon on it, especially paired with something BBQ!), and steamed broccoli. It probably cost about $8 and feeds two of us.

That sounds delicious. My boyfriend swears that sweet potato fries taste good with syrup on top. He had it in Vegas and loves it. I'm going to opt out of that though haha
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Chicken tacos - cook chicken with salsa in crockpot. Serve with tortillas and condiments.

Dried pastas are an idea. Yes they have carbs. But if you load them with vegetables, then it's moderation. Kids love pasta also.

White chicken chili is great (great northern beans, chicken, chili seasoning, onions)

Anything with dried beans. Veggie chili is awesome. Beans, tomatoes, onions, chili seasoning, tomato sauce. One of my favorites.

Tomato soup - I use canned whole tomatoes. Sautee onion in small amount of oil. Add tomatoes, puree when completed.
    (Season to taste. I like crushed red pepper flakes and dried basil in mine)

Cabbage rolls - can use ground chuck for leaner option.

You can always do pizzas. Use toritillas instead of crust. Top with each of your favorites. I love flat bread pizzas. For kids, I just use sauce and cheese.

Pork roast can go a long ways. You can cook one huge one. Use it for bbqs, tacos, etc.

Also if I splurge on like steak and have left overs, I make pepper steak and rice with left overs. Brown rice is healthy choice.

I learned one of the best ways to save money is to revamp leftovers into new dishes.

Just ideas.

Those are all fantastic and I plan to do the chicken tacos tonight, thank you!