Reward system makeover!

Options
Ok guys, I had what I think might be a brilliant idea to help keep people, or at least me, motivated. Personally, when my reward system is set based on results, I tend to be discouraged if it takes a while to get there, i.e. plateaus suck, right?

Brilliant plan:
Reward yourself based on effort!

Set goals for a number of days per week you want to work out. Or distance you want to complete by the end of the month.

Then reward yourself when you accomplish those goals.

It seems like this will keep us wanting to move forward, and it refocuses our attention away from the scale and onto a more healthy lifestyle instead.

Opinions? Agree, disagree?

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    My first reward is a new tattoo once i have lost 50 lbs
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Agree! In the past I have done 5 lb rewards, but I am losing a little slower and want to focus more on fitness. I have set a goal of 20 miles (elliptical, walking, treadmill, whatever) for November. It is quite a bit more than I did for October and September. Haven't come up with what my reward will be yet, though... I do still have a weight goal of 9 lbs by Xmas, too (3 lbs down, 6 to go).
  • kramalicious
    Options
    My first reward is a new tattoo once i have lost 50 lbs

Yes, Me too!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I've started using an app on my phone called GymPact. You choose the number of days per week you want to workout (also includes days when you hit 10K steps if you use and link your FB or Jawbone UP to it). Workouts can be at a gym (GPS checks- you need to be there for at least 30 minutes), or anywhere you like (walk at work, for example).

It deducts $5 (or more, if you like) from your account if you DON'T fulfill your weekly pact. If you do what you said you would do, then you GET money. Not a lot- like maybe 30 to 40 cents per workout. So about $10 a month for me.

I do what I plan on, and then I get a tiny bit o money in my pocket :smile:
  • reneekise
    reneekise Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've started using an app on my phone called GymPact. You choose the number of days per week you want to workout (also includes days when you hit 10K steps if you use and link your FB or Jawbone UP to it). Workouts can be at a gym (GPS checks- you need to be there for at least 30 minutes), or anywhere you like (walk at work, for example).

It deducts $5 (or more, if you like) from your account if you DON'T fulfill your weekly pact. If you do what you said you would do, then you GET money. Not a lot- like maybe 30 to 40 cents per workout. So about $10 a month for me.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Gympact App - money is a huge motivator for me, even if it's just a little bit :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Agree. But with Pandora Bracelet/charms. Doing that currently. Been doing it. Pretty fun.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've done the reward system. I'm just about done only 23 pounds left that I want to lose (not have to lose). My final reward is a pair of tattoos. Vanity tattooed right below my left collarbone and Modesty tattooed under my left breast.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options

that's awesome! I've never hears of that before! Totally trying it :) ..and to think I was going to reward myself with a new brooks brothers shirt! I like making money more lol
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I reward myself every 10lbs, and when I reached 100 lost. That way the reward isnt so far away that I get discouraged.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Wait.... so you pay $5 when you don't work out the agree to amount in a week, but if you do, you get maybe half of that? And the other half goes to the person that thought up this idea? He or she is BRILLIANT. The people who don't work out pay those who do and he/she pockets the rest.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Wait.... so you pay $5 when you don't work out the agree to amount in a week, but if you do, you get maybe half of that? And the other half goes to the person that thought up this idea? He or she is BRILLIANT. The people who don't work out pay those who do and he/she pockets the rest.

Yeah, I think it's a brilliant idea, but it's implemented a little too one-sided for me.
  • MeghanMegabit
    MeghanMegabit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    GymPact sounds like an interesting motivator :) I've thought about rewarding myself for things that don't focus on weight lost but my analytic brain doesn't find it very motivating. I took today off to celebrate 25lbs and I'm finding it super rewarding! Got my nails done, that's 2.5lbs per nail ha! I need to focus more on self-appreciation rather than bagging on myself for bad choices.
  • Cavegirlbelly
    Options
    I like the idea of GymPact, but to keep it simple, I think I'll just track my own exercise.