Starting Over agian

Options
Here to hang my head of shame. I keep telling myself and others I can do it by myself. I keep writing here I am going to start over tomorrow. Again and again I have lied to myself. For the last 5 weeks I have not used MFP. In 4 weeks I have put back on 7 pounds. The weight recorder told me today in my TOPS group Roxyann you are only down 1/2 for the year now. I joined the group 4 months ago. I am out of control and not sure how to get back. Have stopped my walking, watching what I was eating and thinking who really cares if I loss weight or not. My body is in a lot of pain, my blood sugars are over 400 and I am tried all the time. I am not asking any one to feel sorry for me, because I did this to myself. I am asking for ways to help get myself back on track and get my blood sugars back down. If you can think of anything that may help please let me know. Thank you

Replies

• an8e
    an8e Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well I had lost 9kg, and then lost motivation so have put on another 3kg (maybe that's like six pounds??)

Anyway, I have made a decision of the will. I know I was happier when exercising and nourishing my body right.

So, instead of reacting to my feeling of the day "oh, I don't fee like going for a run today" "I really feel like having another biscuit" I have decided: there my emotions are not running the show! Beginning today!

Add me and let's encourage each other to ignore the emotional roller coaster and just commit to consistency!!
  • thickgirl2011
    Options
    Hey there,

I know what you mean. I'm feeling a little of the same way myself. However, there are 1 or 2 things that I am doing well right now like working out, even though my eating is a bit out of control. Start by targeting the 1 or 2 things you are doing well and build on it. It doesn't matter if it is something as small as... I ate like a cow today...but I didn't drink any soda! Get off the scale and build on the small things first. Once you have 4, 5, and 6 good habits built on each other go ahead and get on the scale or add another healthy habit. This practice is more long lasting than trying to be perfect and seeing weight loss on the scale. The other day I jotted down that I ate the whole damn box of cookies and chocolate covered peanuts. We gotta be honest with ourselves and learn from our mistakes and not beat ourselves up. I also wrote a note for that particular day stating why I did what I did
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    No need for shame as most of us have done the exact same thing. But that doesn't mean the future will be the same. Get back on board and make small changes to your meals to reduce the carb cravings (fewer carbs and more low carb veggies and some healthier fruits) and start getting more active again. You'll be back on track before you know it. But you have to take that first step and then try to stay on that path more times than you go off it! You can do it and deserve to have the healthy life you want!
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My blood sugar wasn't that high but just my doc putting me on Metformin was cause enough for me to get right with myself, losing weight, eating better and so on. Anyway that was in July. Still working on doing alll the things I need to do to get healthy and in shape. But 40 lbs later I'm on a start so let's get this done together. :bigsmile:
    ADD me if you like
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know that there is (rightly) a lot of argument against specialized or food-restricting diets on MFP. And I am not saying you NEED to do this. But your story reminded me so much of my mom that I had to post. She is also diabetic and was always in a significant amount of pain. We did Whole30 together last year, starting in October. She lost a significant amount of weight but more importantly, her pain levels are hugely improved and she was able to stop taking Metformin and stop taking insulin at all. She still checks her blood daily and always will, but it's no longer a real concern. Pretty amazing. She doesn't eat strict Whole30 anymore (it can be tough), but she is so happy with her results that it's pretty easy for her to stick close to that diet most of the time.

If you're interested the info is here: http://www.whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

Everything you need is on the website free - nothing to pay for.
  • satiestar24
    satiestar24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a bit of the same right now as well. I've struggled my whole life and now I'm on a mission to lose 100lbs in a year. 25 down in 9 weeks and hitting a slump right now.
    One thing that's helping me get back on track is keeping the mentality that I'm not giving up just because I have a few bad days. I did the same thing as Thick Girl by recording on MFP that I ate the entire box of cookies and 4 ice cream sandwiches that I ate that day. Staying responsible for eating that and not hiding it like I usually do has been helpful. The next meal is a new meal and a new chance to start over.

Hope you'll find inspiration on here like I have. Thanks for sharing because it makes me realize we' re not alone in what we're experiencing. You've taken such a big step just coming on the boards and posting.
  • kittycutemo
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I "wasted" ("wasted" cause what I needed was motivation, not materials, and I'm not using most of the things) money on equipment, magazines, dvds, I was starting and just after 4 or 5 days it was over... And you feel bad with yourself, and you feel depressed and much less like exercising and much more like eating... Besides I had no condition and with the extra weight it was impossible/hard to follow the routines, which made me feel even worst and also restrictive diets were killing me and I was often ruining them by overeating when I couldnt control anymore...

I have no a magic formula but what has worked so far for me is starting challenges, I end one and I move to the next, small ones, a week, a month... Right now I'm on a 90 day challange. For me it works to have a calendar on what to eat for everymeal so I have nothing else at home but that, and eating out 2 to 3 meals on weekends when I see my family or I go out with my husband, I'm not privated I just watch my portions, and if something is really big or too caloric I might share it. And about working out I follow calendars, I will print my calendars with the exercise I will do everyday of the month and sign just after I ended my workout, it feels so good to see your progress daily, and you might not feel like doing it but you will, because mine is on the fridge and it's so annoying to see everyday a mark missing,

Besides I've changed my mind, before I wanted to be thin, now I want to be healthy and strong. I used to think that overeating for a meal could ruin your work of days/weeks/months, and not exercising just as the plan says was the end of the world to me and I wouldn't go on, and after I would feel guilty and sad. And now I see it's not, we're not perfect and we're not supossed to be, maybe I ate a cookie more than I should or a pizza slice, or whatever but it's not over, not if you don't give up, you can make it up next time. I can't help to feel guilty sometimes if I didn't exercise or if I ate more than I should but I'm working on it. Every bite less that you take, and every minute you work out more makes a difference, and eventually we will get to where we want to be. Good luck!
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've started and stopped so many times over the years that I've lost count. I've joined and stopped WW numerous times with mediocre, temporary success. It wasn't until I saw a photo of myself with my two skinny sisters-in-law that I decided to do something about my out of control lifestyle. Don't get me wrong I fall off the wagon almost weekly...heck who am I kidding...daily. I have lost a total of 78 pounds over the last couple of years. It has been a slow process but like I said I have ups and downs like everyone else. I know how hard it can be and still struggle. I love to eat and most importantly I love to eat things that aren't good for me. My #1 temptation is pizza and as my family loves it as well it is usually at my house 2-3 nights a week. I know that I'm going to give into this temptation but instead of pigging out like I might have in the past, I simply eat one slice along with a nice big salad and consider it a victory that I didn't eat the whole thing. I'm trying to make small changes like no eating after 8:00 or only one small snack after supper. I also started kicking up the exercise to a higher level and have actually participated in two 5K races and am signed up for two more in the next month. It's something that I never thought I would like but I just plugged along and actually started enjoying it. You can do this. Don't hang your head in shame as we've all been there and are likely to be there again. Keep on keeping on. Start with small, attainable goals and build from there and know that we are here for support. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'm going through exactly the same thing... I feel for you, I really do. The only thing that has ever worked for me in these slumps is to get majorly pissed. Get mad. Use it as fuel to motivate you. I don't know if it will work for you or if it will even work for me this time, but I know it certainly helps me. I feel like I could take on the world again today for the first time in many months... I'm pissed, at myself, my life, a lot of things, and I'm not going to let depression or ****ty circumstances control MY happiness anymore!!!! Don't let that **** stop you from getting what you want, either. I hate giving up, so I'm not going to. Do not let the negative win. You, me, we're all stronger than that. I'm stronger than my depression. I know I am. I've proven it more than enough in the past - and you, you just need to give yourself a real opportunity to prove to yourself you are strong enough to do this, too. A REAL opportunity. Not one day, not a week, COMMIT to this. You can do it. It's up to you.
  • Diabetic42
    Options
    I wanted to thank you so much for your support. I dose really help when others understand how you are feeling. It hard when others are putting me down about my weight. It just makes me eat more. I have to find a new way to keep them out of my head and do what I know I should be doing. I have gone back to my Sunday cheat day. That really helped before. I can have up to a 100 calories than I should have. No more eating out 2 times a week and letting people saying its not going to hurt if you eat a little more this week. I lots 32 pounds in 2 years and I am not going to put it back on.

Thank you again Roxyann
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Today is my first day back (for the millionth time). I've been here, off and on for a few years now. Never seem to stick to it and always have a reason. "I feel healthy enough", despite the fact that I get winded walking to the car...lol. "I'm too busy", but I have hours to spend sitting on the couch crocheting. "I'm just too darned tired because I work mid-night shift", even though I KNOW that if I exercised and put better food into my body I wouldn't be so tired all the time, regardless of what shift I worked. So here's too all of us in hopes that this is our last first time!!! =) Good luck!
  • Kimberly114
    Options
    Hi Diabetic42 I'm new myself and I 'm a diabetic too and it seems like you are depress and maybe you should talk to your Doctor just last year I had to do the same thing and I ended up going on medicine and I must say I feel much better, I hope this helps but please don't give up that's to easy.
  • Peace_Love_Coexist
    Options
    I can completely relate. The "stinkin thinkin" as I like to call it certainly doesn't help and has kept me down for a very long time.. Like others have said..beating yourself up wont help.

One thing that gets me motivated is watching "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" Its a documentary on Netflix. He loses weight and takes his life back through juicing. I have started juicing and its helped. Even if you dont juice the way he does ..just his story alone might give you the motivation to just get started. It does for me. I honestly believe that will power and motivation alone is NOT enough.

Setting up a fail safe environment might help preparing yourself for when you find it hardest may help. For example, I noticed if I did not prep all of my food for the week on Sunday...cutting veggies, cooking healthy meals for the week..I would find myself in the fast food drive through WAY too much.

Also, having a partner to go the gym with has helped me a lot too...

Like with anything in life..we just need a good plan first...Good Luck..you can do it :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Here's a positive thought to get you started this time around:

You caught yourself in ONLY five weeks. This could have gone on months and years (Been there). Instead, you caught yourself and want to stop those insidious habits--which is something to be very proud of. Start small. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you want to "do it all." Choose 2 habits that you want to work on for the next couple of weeks. Let's say: walking three times a week and drinking more water. Once those things become habit, you add more.

Hang in there and never, never, never give up! Congrats on catching yourself so quickly!
  • summerroxygoodin
    summerroxygoodin Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I too have had this issue and what I told myself this time that food is like an illegal drug....im a food addict and I must not over eat. I made Saturday my cheat day where as long as im under 2000 calories I will eat what I want. :-) but I just have to be good all week to do that.
  • mmehalic09
    mmehalic09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I've been trying this for ages. I do amazing for 2 weeks and then say "Oh I can cheat today". And I get completely off it. Try doing it with a friend, bf, husband, ect. I work 80 hrs a week and hurt my back at work so I always have problems trying to find time, or not be in pain. My fiance has helped a lot by being like a personal trainer.
  • LadyTest
    LadyTest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am embarrassed to even admit I am starting over. I lost 108 pounds and during the course of a case of pneumonia then mono then pregnancy gained back 50 pounds. My eating is mindless. That makes me feel depressed so then I eat more and the cycle continues.
    I HAVE TO GET THIS UNDER CONTROL!!!!
    Maybe we can try to motivate one another.
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a friend! You shouldn't feel so down on yourself. We all have slumps. Instead of telling yourself you will start tomorrow, why not say TODAY! Get yourself in the mindset that your mind can overpower your body. Let your mind control your body, not the other way around. You can do it! As for feeling tired and having body aches, I know its hard to do, but get up and move. When the weight starts to come off, you will feel better, and your blood sugars will regulate. Its not about how much you weigh, its about how you feel about yourself. You are strong! This site is great for support. Maybe a good start for Today would be to make a commitment to log in everyday and log what you eat. Even if you don't eat the best foods, it makes you accountable and once you see everything you eat looking back at you from the screen, it makes you want to do better. I know you can do it. The human mind is an amazing thing. You can do it!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. We all go through valleys at times and as long as you're starting over and not giving up, you're on the right track.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I share your angst -I have put on 13 kg in the last 15 month ( I had lost 22kg by August 2012).
    In my PROFILE I keep saying I will get back on track but keep slipping, so last night I signed up for Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation - hoping the $199 paid will keep me honest - the next 12 weeks will be the test!
    Happy to be friended by anyone - support really does matter!
    Jan