NEW! Need to beat the Binge :(

Options

Replies

• MyShadowLand
    Options
    I have the same problem. I either eat constantly throughout the day or I don't eat at all, its an awful cycle I cant seem to break, and more often tha not I tend to binge. I always say tomorrow will be different and wake up only to start binging again.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    I have trouble not overeating on my days off. Not necessarily bingeing, but eating junk all day long. I love MFP to help keep me accountable, and at least it's a way to see how many calories I'm taking in. It's been tough though, but in the long run it will pay off!
  • dontstop_
    Options
    I added you ladies above. I hope that's ok. So far, I am 3 days binge free and working on day 4 today. I haven't gone this long in a while (pathetic, I know lol). Wish me luck on the weekend!! They are always hard for me.
  • wonders10
    Options
    OMG! This is all so me! It had gotten out of control to the point that I was planning what I was going to binge on all day, stop at the store and buy $20 worth of junk and eat most of it that night! I looked forward to it...tonight I get to eat McDonald's, chocolate and watch reruns of Gilmore Girls, can't wait! It's sad to think about now. I'd gotten pretty much over the true binges over the past year and just had an occasional extra snack or something. But now I'm noticing those behaviors creeping back in again. I stop on the way home and pick up a bag of chips or candy (or both) and eat some as I'm driving home and save the rest for when my boyfriend goes to bed and then I go nuts. Its still not as bad as it was but its definitely not helping me lose the weight. And if I actually started the next day like I say I'm going to without a binge, I'd be 100 lbs by now lol. I've looked into OA in the past but was wondering if the book is available somewhere without attending a meeting? Feel free to add me as a friend. It makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one who deals with this. Its so frustrating to read the "just stop eating it" posts. For some people, its really not that easy. Sometimes I think its like telling an alcoholic not to drink.
  • LGS1974
    Options
    If you eat lots of no fat foods with artificial sweetners it can actually create cravings and make you want to binge.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'll add you. I like to offer support whenever I can :)
  • lizzyxo
    lizzyxo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am so glad this thread was made...I was losing weight pretty fast when me and my boyfriend broke up, but now we are back together, and we live together, and I eat almost like he does. except people say he's looking slimmer, and here I am 15 lbs heavier with all my success out the window. But I eat WAYYYY better than he does. He eats things I would never touch now lol. And I do emotionally eat...grrr. It is mostly at night. I have realized if I distract myself by playing music, reading or doing something that isn't just sitting there watching tv, it is easier for me to not over eat but still unwind and relax. It's so hard to stop the thought process of "oh i have been doing really good today so these two peices of cheese cake wont make a dent." and then you realize 15 lbs later...oh crap. i guess it did lol.
  • Beautifulreflections
    Options
    Feel free to add me too everyone. I'm a total binge eater. Its generally because I have a "small" craving and as soon as I indulge (and it can be something as TINY as a fun size snicker) I will consider my day blown and go all out for the rest of the day. We are talking over a thousand calories. Its depressing but we can do it.

I have lost weight before. Just gotta get past the cravings. My diary is open so feel free to look and give me *kitten* for eating junk. I even have a "mindless eating" category...
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a request! I do have the same problem!
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you all! I have been an eating disorder survivor for nearly 5 years now (since I finished my intense therapy - had Bulimia for 15 years) but continued with the binge part of Bulimia but without the overexercising/purging. I have learned so much along the way. Some suggestions I can make to help you:

Food is something we MUST have to fuel our bodies and yes it is like an addiction however with an addiction such as say alcohol, with alcohol you don't NEED it to survive (you can go completely cold turkey and still survive without alcohol but not with food)

Keep an absolutely honest food and emotions diary for as long as you are able, just write EVERYTHING in it including when you have your binge how you were feeling immediately before. This is hard work it really is but it will help you find your triggers and then you can start to work on them. Sometimes you will feel like "oh sod this I am over writing everything down" so have a break and get back into it when you are able. You will hopefully start to see patterns of when you binge, what happened immediately before or even up to a day before the binge and then be able to find strategies to cope when those stressors return.

A good book that was recommended to me when in Eating Disorder Service care was called Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr Christopher Fairburn. Here's a link to it on Amazon,
    http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Binge-Eating-First-Edition/dp/0898621798

I bought it and got from it what was helpful for me. Not everything is helpful, so take what works for you. I attended an OA meeting once and found that was really not me at all, I attended Weight Watchers, again that was not for me.

Never ever ever give up. It's a tough thing to overcome and don't set too high expectations as I'm sure we all know that when we don't reach those goals we set can also be a trigger to yet another binge. If something doesn't work for you try something else. Revisit those things that don't work for you at a later time, they may then work for you.

When you are in the "right I am going to binge on ........" do something different, take deep breaths, have a bath, paint your nails, go for a walk. The feelings will be so strong you may end up just binging but make sure you log it and take note of those emotions and possible triggers (there may be a few), the time of day etc etc etc.

Please if you want to PM me or add me.

xox
  • sjayleen
    sjayleen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yes i binge on sweets at work all day. its so bad pt and reps bring us all kinds of treats and its so hard to say no. ADDING YOU =)
  • BeautyBeast2013
    BeautyBeast2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me anyone can! Starting this journey as well and love to have friends with you
  • 24marg
    24marg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am a binge eater I eat good most of the day and at night I have been eating everything that is not nailed down. I was supposed to start on a weight loss program and I binged all the time well the lady who does the class gave me the wrong information and the class doesn't start till next year. So asked to get my money refunded ($200) and am starting here and just going to count calories and do it for free. I can't keep living this way.
  • meganbrown77
    Options
    Same boat here! feel free to add me :)
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I did so well with my weight loss on here last summer and then again last fall but I ALWAYS fall back into bingeing...would love to have friends where we can hold each other accountable.
  • barneychelle
    barneychelle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request...feel free to add me. And everyone else who'd like to add me as well! I MUST beat this!! And wishing everyone the best :-)
  • cpullin93
    Options
    I definitely have a problem with this too! I always try to be good but sometimes I mess up. I have a hard time eating moderately...it's either trying to eat too little or over doing it and eating way too much
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater for most my life. I notice when I have an event, or something social to go to coming up, I sabotage myself a lot of the time by binging the night before...so I don't want to go the next day. Not all the time, but I notice that I do that. Anyone else do this?? It is an ongoing battle....very frustrating!!
  • jenm_123
    jenm_123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Day 5 of being binge free and it seems to be getting easier every day. Some days I have to take it literally 1 minute at a time, but it seems to be working. I am currently challenging myself to go without junk food for 1 month...maybe more. I have had an unhealthy relationship with junk food and binging for as long as I can remember and I need to go back to eating this food as it is meant to be eaten...as a treat!
  • dontstop_
    Options
    Wow I didn't think there would be this many people on here like me :) I hope we can all support one another to beat the binge! I've been logging almost a week and am down 4 pounds. I hope to keep making progress!