Diet Soda Cupcake?

Options
cccathyyy
cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
Anyone made a cupcake with box mix and diet soda... I was looking up recipes last night for muffins and came across it. Not sure if you need to add just the diet soda, or if you have to have a couple of egg whites, saw different variations. And I'm wondering if its any good.

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    Here is one of the many threads on this and a heads up - it's a semi hot topic...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/126266-diet-coke-cake?hl=diet+coke+cake&page=1#posts-1725565
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I only use the 12 oz. Diet soda with the cake mix cooked a little less than box instruction time to keep it moist, if I remember correctly.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I make cakes that way all the time. Any box cake mix and 12 oz of any diet soda. That's it. Bake according to box temp and time.

Try different combinations. I like carrot cake with diet ginger ale and strawberry cake with diet sprite.

With these recipes the only calories come from the "as is" boxed mix, no extra calories or fat from eggs, oil, anything...
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I recently started doing this!

I tried a devils food cake with coke zero and it didn't really come out right. It was really fudgy on the inside and had a harder outside. It stuck to the paper BAD and the cupcakes were demolished when you tried to remove them.

ON THE OTHER HAND - I made a vanilla cupcake with diet Sunkist and it came out great! i think that the variable here might be the paper. I did the sunkist ones without any cupcake papers (just sprayed with Pam) and they were PERFECT. They were fluffy and moist and didn't have the harder outside or anything. So I'm actually going to be trying the devil's food ones again without the paper.

For mine, the ingredients didn't include anything other than the cake mix and the diet soda, cooked to package directions.

If you don't want to risk the diet soda, follow the recipe on the box, substituting apple sauce (I used a wal-mart 50 cal per half cup) for the oil and egg whites for whole eggs. I did chocolate cupcakes with this and they were fabulous.
  • thesexybitch
    Options
    yeaaah ive done that before, but with cookies, and it came out DELISH, not chewy, more cakey (obviously) but really goooood, recommend trying
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. I am not a sweets person but ever since being on MFP I have been craving some sweets and this may be the best way! Thanks =)
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I am NOT a baker! So this recipe sounded SOOOO easy (and what can be easier than a box mix!) Will have to try! At work we're having a halloween party on Thursday, and the Wellness Committee is bringing snacks. So I volunteered to make cupcakes and had already bought the sugar free vanilla cake mix... now I just need to get a few cans of soda... I'm thinking diet sprite, diet crush, or diet cherry 7up! :).
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was watching Rachael Ray the other day and she had a chef on that has tried different healthy substitutes for some of our favorite vicey foods. The website is www.hungry-girl.com and you can get great subsitutes while sacrificing calories but not flavors and yes she does mention the soda in cake mix!!
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    Does this work for brownies?
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brittaneycrider
    brittaneycrider Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Diet coke and chocolate cake mix is great! I made them into cupcakes so that the portion size was easier for me.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Here's how my SIL made brownies, and they were delicious!

1 box brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes you only use a cake mix and one 12 oz. can of diet soda. I was skeptical at first but then I tried it and it really did work.
  • ToadallyHIS
    Options
    i LOVE doing this, i learned it in WW, my favorite is a white cake mix with diet root beer and light whipped topping (my kids call it my root beer float cake), we keep it in the freezer so it's frozen when we eat it. it's fantastic.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Here a link with different cake flavor and options:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=2126
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    Here's how my SIL made brownies, and they were delicious!

1 box brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

Thank you!!!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I made my mom birthday cupcakes this way with just a white cake mix and some sprite zero. It was so delicious and no one could tell the difference!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yeaaah ive done that before, but with cookies, and it came out DELISH, not chewy, more cakey (obviously) but really goooood, recommend trying

I'm so going to try this....my girls want to make cookies tomo so its experimenting time :)
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    I've got my diet coke cake in the oven. It looks and smells yummy!
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    The cake is delicious! :)