What to do for shakiness/hunger?

Options

Replies

• EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My initial reaction: eat. If you're shaky and hungry then that is a sign from your body. It's saying you're not adequately nourishing it. When I first started on MFP I was eating too little and often hungry. Weight loss does not mean you have to be hungry all the time.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Impressively bad advice by Steve098 in this thread. Gotta pile on because it's so bad.

Lots of good advice though. Shaking is not a normal part of weight loss and should be addressed.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Complete nonsense!
    If you are not on any hypoglycemic drugs, and don't have an insulin secreting tumor, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT A LOW GLUCOSE. You glucose is doing JUST FINE.
    Obese people use that myth as an excuse to eat. And then they eat, and eat, and eat.
    Learn to deal with the sensations. They will go away.
    Serum glucose is NOT a factor that needs to be addressed. Period.
    If someone brings this up again, I would like a source, please.
    Mine is Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology.

Tell that to my blood test results. I dizzy/headachey a lot and passed out in college and was told I am hypoglycemic. I was thin, not tumor, no meds. Later in life I did a fasting blood sugar test to re-confirm. Yep, hypoglycemia is still the reason for my dizzy, shaking, headache spells. I am not nor have ever been overweight to obese, no tumors, not taking meds, don't have diabetes. I just hypoglycemic easy and need lots of protein and frequent meals.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    eat would be my guess :wink:
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The same thing was happening to me about a year ago. Sometimes it would be when I got home from work, and sometimes it would start to happen 5 minutes into a workout. I would need to leave the gym because I felt weak as ****.

At work I was eating too many carbs and not enough fat or protein. Fat and protein are what my body craved but I ended up eating carbs which didn't help.

^^This

Eating less carbs and more proteins has stabilized my blood sugar. Even when I am hungry, I don't get that shakey feeling, I used to. Grain-Carbs tend to make me hungry, so I limit them a bit. Not drastically, but proteins and veggies are my staples in every meal.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    OP, good on you for taking in a bit more protein and following some of the good advice given here. Just as another suggestion, if dairy is in your diet, I've found plain greek yoghurt (2%) with a sprinkling of cashews will keep me quite perky for a few hours. Best of luck moving forward.

Not so positive side...Steve098 is taking irresponsible, childish an arrogant stance telling people to ignore their basic biology. On top trying to justify radical blood sugar fluctuations, consistently advocating OP do something that she clearly stated is a binge trigger for her amounts to selfish banging on, nothing useful!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Steve,

You are way off base.. If you're hungry you need to eat, and if you're shaking from hunger you need to eat. You do not need to eat if you are nit hungry. The thing is if you're eating in balance and enough, you will not be so hungry you shake. In fact, as I said upstream, I have 6 pounds left to lose and I'm not hungry. If I was shaking from not eating for a long period, I would know my blood sugar dropped and that I need to eat.NOT binge, EAT.

By the way, blood sugar drops need to be attended to attended to with food because if not they can drop even lower.

By the way, what are your qualifications for providing all your "information" on glucose, etc?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some protein powder that mixes well in to just water (I like Spiru-Tein - blueberries & cream, strawberry banana, or chocolate chip cookie dough). Buy a funnel and when you feel the shakes start to come on, or if you just want to make it a habit, make yourself a protein drink at about 2 in the afternoon. Most of their flavors are 99-110 calories/serving, and you get a decent dose of protein. I just pour it straight in to the funnel/regular chilled water bottle, shake it up, and it's good to go.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Complete nonsense!
    If you are not on any hypoglycemic drugs, and don't have an insulin secreting tumor, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT A LOW GLUCOSE. You glucose is doing JUST FINE.
    Obese people use that myth as an excuse to eat. And then they eat, and eat, and eat.

Tell that to my blood test results. I dizzy/headachey a lot and passed out in college and was told I am hypoglycemic. I was thin, not tumor, no meds. Later in life I did a fasting blood sugar test to re-confirm. Yep, hypoglycemia is still the reason for my dizzy, shaking, headache spells. I am not nor have ever been overweight to obese, no tumors, not taking meds, don't have diabetes. I just hypoglycemic easy and need lots of protein and frequent meals.

I find that hard to believe, and it is not a medical diagnosis.
    The system to maintain an adequate glucose developed over 600 millions years and a low-normal glucose is not deleterious is any significant way.
    When you get down to a glucose below 30, then you have trouble, but those are seen in people with tumors or taking diabetic pills or insulin.
    But you are not overweight, so eat whatever you want and whenever you want.
    People who are overweight and eat to maintain their glucose levels due to fears over hypoglycemia are kidding themselves.

Steve, your advice is dangerous.

Please stop giving it.

You are (quite obviously) not a doctor and you are giving very specific - and incorrect - medical advice.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    The system to maintain an adequate glucose developed over 600 millions years and a low-normal glucose is not deleterious is any significant way.
    When you get down to a glucose below 30, then you have trouble, but those are seen in people with tumors or taking diabetic pills or insulin.
    If I sent you my medical bill and bloodwork next time I pass out due to low blood sugar, would you believe me?
    But you are not overweight, so eat whatever you want and whenever you want. [/]
    But, then I WOULD be overweight.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Drink some warm water & embrace the hunger feeling. You could have been eating just for the sake of eating. So many people on here eat just because they see the time of day & think they need to eat at that time. Drink the warm water & wait 20 mins, then do it again. My bet is that you are not hungry at all.

Then wait till dinner, know what hunger feels like so then when you feel it again you know it's real hunger & not just 'time' to eat.

If she is getting the shakes she is probably hypoglycemic. Telling her not to eat is not wise. She needs to get her blood sugar up.
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. 1 Tbsp. in plain water or with a little lemon and honey. I have never heard anyone who has actually tried this say this it doesn't work. I use it all the time and it's good for your body!

It knocks the cravings and hunger pangs down in about 30 seconds, EVERY time!
  • gabbygirl78
    Options

Complete nonsense!

But you are not overweight, so eat whatever you want and whenever you want.
    People who are overweight and eat to maintain their glucose levels due to fears over hypoglycemia are kidding themselves.

Are you a doctor? I am a nurse and your advice you are giving is complete BS... Hypoglycemic meds are general only given with people diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes or in cases like PCOS where metformin which acts on the liver to decrease insulin resistance.... You really need to stop giving medical advice when you don't know what your talking about. I AM a healthcare professional and my advice is always see your doctor. You are seriously dangerous dude!:noway:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal to 1 pound a week. Eat your allotted calories plus exercise calories.
  • gabbygirl78
    Options
    Okay... I'm gonna just go ahead and say what I think as a health care professional since we have some crazy on here spouting dangerous advice.... If you have had problems and have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia in the past then you really need to follow up with your doctor and have some more blood work done or at least seek his advice. Until then, you would probably fall under the group of people that need small frequent meals during the day. Fruit, half sandwiches, proteins... things along those lines to keep you stable. You need to make sure you are taking in enough. I can not stress enough TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR and keep him informed on your symptoms. No advice given on this thread can be better that the advice of the medical professional that knows you and your health history the best. Hope you get some answers soon!:flowerforyou:

edited to correct an overlooked spelling mistake..I don't want to get blasted for that :laugh:
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    For the love of all that is good and sane, ignore steve. He's giving medical advice online (which in itself is frowned upon) and it's HORRIBLE medical advice on top of it.

Source: I'm a lowly 3rd year medical student

But please, see your physician if you have any questions
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you realize that the shakes/hunger come from blood sugar drops. If you have allocated enough calories to fuel your body, then I'd say that you aren't choosing foods that tide you over well. Personally, I stopped feeling hungry when dieting when I went on a high fat/low carb diet, as opposed to a low fat/high carb diet, which is promoted by FDA, etc. Also, for me, whole foods are more satisfying than processed diet foods. Other people thrive on the opposite. There are plenty of people, in both camps, who will tell you that the other is "wrong/unhealthy," and you'll just have to research both and decide for yourself what you believe on that. Good luck!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Find better balance- you let your blood sugar drop too low. Try not to allow yourself to get to the point of shakiness- eat every few hours, and have a snack if you need one. Veggies are especially low in calories, so if you want to binge out on them, it isn't going to kill you to go the 100 calories over for the day on that. Way better to do that than to hit the candy and make your blood sugar spike again, only to crash later. Balance is the key. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Complete nonsense!

Your reference is either fictional (meaning you're not actually checking the reference not the book doesn't exist), or so poor it's ridiculous. There are many causes of hypoglycemia (see below, obviously some aren't applicable here). And yes, if your blood glucose drops below a certain minimum level it ALWAYS worthy of concern. However, it is possible to have symptoms of mild hypoglycemia and not have your blood glucose drop. Look up postprandial reactive hypoglycemia. Treatment is to have a snack and modulate your diet if it happens frequently.

Causes of hypoglycemia:
    Taking too much insulin, skipping a meal, exercising too strenuously, drinking too much alcohol (in people with diabetes)
    Critical organ failure (kidney, heart, or liver)
    Hormone deficiencies
    Tumors
    Fasting
    Inherited abnormalities
    Lack of an appropriate diet, especially with a critical illness
    Strenuous exercise
    Recovery from gastrointestinal surgery
    Certain medications, including quinolones, pentamidine, quinine, beta blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme agents and IGF
    Autoimmune disorders

Source: Hypoglycemia | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/hypoglycemia#ixzz2k59Q1L31
    University of Maryland Medical Center
    Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

I was going to add Coeliac disease but that's under auto immune. By the way the best thing I've found is something small and sweet to get rid of the worst while you bung a jacket potato in the microwave. My coeliac is mainly under control but hubby got a shock when i ask for a tea with about 4 sugars in.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My guess... your calories are set too low. Open up your diary and people can help.

Totally. You do not have to starve yourself to lose weight. Eat at a deficit yes, starve, no way.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just because you are a nurse or a third-year medical student doesn't mean you know physiology.
    In fact, both of you, especially the medical student who has close contact with academicians, talk to doctors and ask them if a normal healthy adult has to worry about morning hypoglycemia. Over twenty percent of adults skip breakfast as it is, and do not worry about morning hypoglycemia. A lot of obese people, however, use it as an excuse to eat.. A lot.
    People fast all the time and their glucose does just fine.
    If you are calling this advice dangerous, then you should back it up with evidence, and not testimonials.

And, you should do the same thing when you say it's NOT dangerous. I get the impression that you really do not have correct information.

Again, I ask you, what are your qualifications to make such assumptions that low blood sugar is not dangerous?