Under 1200 calories a day

Options
Hello all. I'm fairly new to this. I've been on this plan for about 2 weeks now and have lost 10 lbs. so far. My daily goal calorie count is 1,360. I haven't come close to that yet. Closest I came was 1115. I have been planning out my meals and loving how the program works. My worry is that I have heard that eating less than 1200 calories can be detrimental to weight loss. I'm not felling hungry anymore and I have been able to combat all my hunger pains. I eat 3 meals each day with snack in between breakfast & lunch, than lunch & dinner. I also do not eat past 6:00pm. For snacks I usually stick with fruits, yogurt, or multigrain crackers. I don't feel hungry as I did before going on the MFP. Just hoping for some feedback from other out there that are in the same predicament.

Thanks

Replies

• I don't think you have to worry as long as you feel OK and have energy. Drink plenty of water. Make sure you take supplements because you will not get all the nutrients needed through food in this journey.. If you log everything you eat in, you can check your nutrients by doing the reports. It will tell you where you should be and you can judge from there where to go.
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means; but I also have a fair amount of weight to lose. I've cut calories to your level (about 1200) in the past and was a "cardio queen". I'd drop 40 pounds, then just get total burnout and quit. I'd gain back the 40 pounds and more. I was a classic yo-yo dieter for 20+ years. I recently hired a trainer and am now approaching this journey a completely different way and am having success. Progress is slow (about a pound a week), but is easily staying off. My approach is 3-4 days of weight training, cardio of 45 minutes 4-5 times per week, and a NET caloric intake of about 2000 calories (I eat back my exercise calories). Somedays I eat up to 2700 calories. I split the food into meals and snacks (eat about 6 times a day) and try to get 20 grams of protein with every snack and meal. I do not rule out any foods; just try to make good choices and eat to fuel my workouts and weight training. Some days I succomb to a few cookies, and I'm okay with that. I've gained muscle and have lost inches. I just want to put out it out there that restrictive calorie plans are not the only way to go. Other methods work and may be a better fit for some people. Good luck with your journey and I wish you much success.
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just one more point, my trainer says that if you wait until you are hungry to eat, your blood sugar has already dropped too low.
  • Nikkko75
    Nikkko75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the replies and advice.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    perhaps you can open your food diary so we can take a look?
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Please take a look at my profile. I have been doing it for about 15 months with success. I don't know if it's good for everybody but it worked for me. You should do what is best for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means; but I also have a fair amount of weight to lose. I've cut calories to your level (about 1200) in the past and was a "cardio queen". I'd drop 40 pounds, then just get total burnout and quit. I'd gain back the 40 pounds and more. I was a classic yo-yo dieter for 20+ years. I recently hired a trainer and am now approaching this journey a completely different way and am having success. Progress is slow (about a pound a week), but is easily staying off. My approach is 3-4 days of weight training, cardio of 45 minutes 4-5 times per week, and a NET caloric intake of about 2000 calories (I eat back my exercise calories). Somedays I eat up to 2700 calories. I split the food into meals and snacks (eat about 6 times a day) and try to get 20 grams of protein with every snack and meal. I do not rule out any foods; just try to make good choices and eat to fuel my workouts and weight training. Some days I succomb to a few cookies, and I'm okay with that. I've gained muscle and have lost inches. I just want to put out it out there that restrictive calorie plans are not the only way to go. Other methods work and may be a better fit for some people. Good luck with your journey and I wish you much success.

/\this/\

and i've just come to realize this, this month lol.