Older mom looking for support

Options
Hi everyone!

I am 55 and a mom of an 11 year old daughter. ... and a grandmother of an 11 year old as well. I had gone on vacation last month and before leaving, had to go out and buy bigger plus size pants in order to feel comfortable. I still felt uncomfortable the entire time even in my looser fitting clothes with the big tire around my waist that I had no choice but to bring along!

So, returning home I decided that I needed to give up the pop I LOVE because I had to switch from diet to regular due to an aspartame reaction a few months ago. The stuff is bad, actually toxic, I'm telling you if you drink too much!! It can cause many symptoms that cannot be diagnosed by a doctor. I know! After a week of giving up the diet pop, I felt so much better and am now off two medications that my doctor had me on for my symptoms! Feeling better, but now feeling even more fat with the tons of calories I've added to my diet drinking regular Coke.

I hadn't been on a scale in a very long time and when I got on, I could not believe it! For a person who has never been "obese", I was weighing in at 210 pounds! I literally dumped the rest of my 2 liter and have dropped 8 pounds of bloat in a week just omitting that from my diet! A friend recommended MFP to me, so here I am, weighing in at 202 pounds and ready, I HOPE, to make a change in my life and my daughter's, who I noticed is starting to thicken in the stomach area now just a little. MY FAULT and she deserves better.

Although I feel pretty determined to do this for both our sakes, it wouldn't hurt to have some help from people also struggling to remind me of why I need to do this! I have 60 pounds minimum to lose! Never in my life would I have thought I'd be saying this! If I gained a few pounds, bam!, I would take it off with some stupid diet, but somewhere along the line, things changed and I stopped caring. Maybe I did care and wasn't ready to face it ... maybe the reason I refused the weighing in at the doctor's office.

I need to care. I need to make a change in my life so that I can be around to see my daughter graduate school and be here for her for as long as I'm allowed. .... maybe even get to know her children!

If anyone is interested in being a "buddy", please send a request. I want to be a healthier mom and one that my daughter isn't embarrassed to be seen with. I'm already so much older than most the mom's at school, although she says I'm still pretty :), (she's such a gem), I just would like to make her prouder of me and would like her to remain healthy as well.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Claybornekc
    Claybornekc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to congratulate you for starting your new healthier life. This app is great and I would like to be your buddy if you would have me.
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. Will send request.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Welcome to MFP and you're going to do great! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. I am 60. I try to walk every day (have a Fitbit) and also ride my bike. I don't drink anything with aspartame. I drink Diet Rite (it has splenda in it and also does not have sodium or caffeine). When I wasn't on the Atkins Diet, I would drink lemon water) I have a long way to go to get to the weight I want to be. Make a lot of friends on this site. It is great for motivation. Good luck. :)
  • Silvermist16
    Silvermist16 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I agree diet pop is bad for you! It is hard to just drink water and nothing exciting.......I am trying it too.:happy:
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Me, too. I am in your shoes, truly. Feel free to add me. :)
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm a 53 year old mom (my kids are older though). Two years ago I weighted 210 lbs. I now weigh 154 lbs.

The last 24 lbs have come off doing heavy lifting and eating at a deficit.

It takes time but you can do it.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP ! I started last January and have not missed a day of logging in. I only have one request before I add you... I think it is more important then any other thing I do to loose weight and that is being here everyday. You might slip and over eat one day, but with the help of your friends on MFP you will get right back on track. I need friends that believe as I do, that we are here to support each other. If that is what you are looking for GREAT I will add you. Either way good luck on your journey.
    :glasses:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    OP .. pop is the devil. Good for you for giving it up.

I don't think that many people here really realize how bad pop really is, and that includes diet pop. Just cause there are no calories doesn't make it any better.

It is one of the worst things that you can put into your body.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually had a bout with depression recently that I know was triggered by the caffeine in diet soda. I was going through a transition in my life and every feeling of anxiety was amplified! I see now that I am not the only one with sensitivity to chemicals in food products.

Anyway, back to you! I love that you have accepted where you are and bought new clothes for more comfort in your current body. I believe that embracing where you are today is the most important part of making a better tomorrow.

So, at whatever size I am, I primp and polish and wear clothes that flatter. 'Cause if I hate my body now, why would I work to improve it!

I am a mature, single woman who is willing to be a friend and provide some support. While other mothers may understand some of your struggles, I will be the one to encourage you to check out the "single" side of your life- - -the place where you do things just for you. Like taking time for a workout or a mani/pedi or tuning the radio to the station you want to hear or cooking a healthy meal because it's best for you and telling your family to either try it or leave the table!

Add me as a friend if that kind of support could be helpful to you.

All the best!
  • enkmom
    enkmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Friend request sent :)
  • Hunnibunz616
    Options
    Hi, I'm 41 but to my younger kids, I'm considered an "older mom" I have a 13 yr old as well that is overweight, so I'm trying to make positive changes not only for myself but to help/support her as well. Feel free to add me (anyone really) I'm new & could use encouragement :)
  • YesIAre
    Options
    Thank you! You have two very beautiful boys there! :) I'm trying to navigate my way around the site ... figuring out how to send a request and accept a request. I'm sure I will get more comfortable with knowing my way around given time.
  • YesIAre
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE! I feel strongly that the support shown here will help and I am already even more motivated! I have a lot to learn on changing how I eat (the good, the bad, the ugly), but will study and learn as I go. I have not, other than for short periods at a time, had to watch what I eat. I love junk food, plain and simple, and I have an addictive personality, so hopefully I will become addicted to making healthier choices.
  • PaulaCribben
    PaulaCribben Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome - this is a great community with super supportive folks.... I will send a request.... 45 from PA here!!!
  • vanillabeans001
    Options
    Hi! congrats on dropping coke from your diet, that is going to make a huge difference! I'm also new here and have sent you a friend request! good luck on your journey!