Swimming with prescription glasses?

Options
2»

Replies

• umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    If you know your prescription you can order a pair here for $30 + shipping. http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/prescription-swimming-goggles
    The fit on them isnt quite 100% comfy like with a name-brand pair but I take it as a trade off for being able to see at the pool

Thanks for the link. That does not look like a bad option and good power range is available. Price is also very reasonable.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Swimmer all my life! I was going to suggest prescription pair. I did know a lot of people that wore their contacts under the goggles too. There are options for you!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to wear contacts every time I went to the pool, until I got a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Vanquisher-Optical-Goggle-Smoke/dp/B001HBHVXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383952329&sr=8-1&keywords=speedo+vanquisher+optical+goggle

They are not at all expensive, and much better than dealing with the hassle of contacts every time you want to swim, or not being able to see the lane clock.

You will need to find out what your eyeglass prescription is if you don't know it already. The number you need is the diopter. It should be a number in the format of minus something-point-something, like -2.15 for example. There will be a separate prescription for the right and left eye.

My prescription is -3.25 for one eye and my 2.75 for the other. Splitting the difference and getting -3.0 works fine for me; I can't really tell the difference between these and my regular glasses. If you have a very extreme difference between your right and left eye, you can order two pairs of goggles and combine them (the goggles are made with a separate left and right goggle, connected by a removable bridge piece. There are three different sizes of bridge piece that come with the goggles to fit your face).

This is not an expensive experiment to try. It worked great for me.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    [
    So...would you ask a guy in a wheelchair what he need to walk for? Those of us with poor vision cannot function without corrective lenses.

As someone who's legally blind, I had the same question. There's no need to be able to see when swimming. I go in the ocean with no glasses all the time. In a pool, no need for vision.