Brisk walk Succes Stories (pics pls)

Options

Replies

• mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I flew to another state for business last month and used public transport so I was walking and climbing stairs etc. 7 days a week for maybe an hour a day. I lost 9lbs.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for just over 3 months and the only exercise I've added is walking at lunchtime. When I use the treadmill I usually manage about 3.2 MPH for a half hour. That's probably not considered brisk, but an arthritic hip shortens my stride. When I got a Fitbit I discovered that my "sedentary" lifestyle is anything but, because I do a lot of walking at home caring for my dogs and property. I get more chores done now just to work in more steps. Sorry, I haven't taken pics and wish I had.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    walked two miles a day (average) from july 22nd until friday the 1st of november. only exercise i did. with eating at a deficit. lost all this weight that way. just joined a gym on nov 1st. so now ill be walking inside and working my butt out other ways. but walking works.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP I didn't know I had blood clots in my heart and legs. I thought I was just old and lazy. After a stay in ICU the Doctor told me to walk 30 minutes every day. At first I could only do 2 minutes and now I am up to 60.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started off walking and eventually ramped it up to speed walking. On the treadmill I started at 2.6-3.0 and an incline of 2.6-3.0. After i got comfortable with that. Comfortable=doing it without breaking a sweat, I ramped it up and so on and so forward. Now I am at 4.2 currently. I could go higher but any higher would be running and thats not what I want. Just something to warm me up before my workout. I use do this for 2-4 miles, now I can do 8-10miles easy but it would cut into my workout strength so I keep it around 4-6miles. If you want pics just check out the weight loss monitor or click on my name :)

Cheers,

Tof
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bump ... i have actual work to get done

50540473.png
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I started off walking and eventually ramped it up to speed walking. On the treadmill I started at 2.6-3.0 and an incline of 2.6-3.0. After i got comfortable with that. Comfortable=doing it without breaking a sweat, I ramped it up and so on and so forward. Now I am at 4.2 currently. I could go higher but any higher would be running and thats not what I want. Just something to warm me up before my workout. I use do this for 2-4 miles, now I can do 8-10miles easy but it would cut into my workout strength so I keep it around 4-6miles. If you want pics just check out the weight loss monitor or click on my name :)

Cheers,

Tof
    amazing !!
  • gwen485
    gwen485 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are walking faster than I run! I feel like a turtle reading these posts. Ya'll are amazing!
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main source of exercise. My husband and I have worked our way up to 5 miles a day, 4.5 mph. :flowerforyou: Walking is MY favorite cardio!
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    So inspirational!!!

On a side note, (for newbies like me), go for distance more than speed. It's basically the same calories burned (i was shocked to learn but checked two different fitness calculators. Try it!!!).

If i did the math right a walker at my weight walking a total of 4 miles:

2 miles per hour = 120 mins = 497 calories
    3 miles per hour = 80 mins = 437 calories
    4 miles per hour = 60 mins = 497 calories
  • randomhelena
    randomhelena Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    35 min walk every day (dog walking pace) x 115 days = 37 pounds lost (so far)
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    Walking has been my main source of exercise. Until the weather got cold I walked 3 to 7 miles a day on a nature trail. My speed was around 3 to 4 mph. I also do some light aerobics(1 or 2 days a week for 20 mins) and run(my run is not much faster at 5 mph). Over the summer and fall months I didn't run much, maybe once a week.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love walking. Think I developed bunions from so much walking. Try to hit 10,000 steps a day. Treadmill gets it done for me. Walking is my primary exercise, then weights and elliptical.:smile:
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have been power walking since September of last year and it's 90% of my exercise. My avg. pace is 5.8km/h and my average distance is 7km, although I've gone as far as 12km. I've lost 52lbs so far.

61cad8e5-fcdb-4bc7-bbbc-66c1831d354b_zps7574a786.jpg
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I stared walking in Aprl, at 270+ lbs, and am now 224 ish. Walking has done me a world of good, and I miss it when I can't. A few weights here and there, and I have lost 75+ lbs. Keep walking!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I weighed 178 pounds in April and currently weigh 136. I'm a 59 year old, 5'3" woman. Walking is my main form of exercise.

I began to walk to work instead of taking the car and walk for local errands (fortunately, I live in a town where I can do that -- we have good sidewalks and everything essential is within a mile or two). I also hike on the weekend in a beautiful nearby national park. When I started walking instead of using my car, I could walk about 2 miles a day. Now I can hike 10 miles without feeling any strain. I've added some calisthenics like push ups and planks for upper body strength, but walking is still my thing. It's easy, I can walk to interesting places, and it's not like a treadmill where you can get off -- once you walk somewhere, you have to walk back.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful thread !!
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    About 90% of my weight loss to date is contributed to just walking only. Started at 20 minute walks per day then eventually 1 hour+ each day with a light slow walk on sunday. I am now however starting to jog, with other exercises like weights training and a bit of aerobics. I still walk however, every morning before my afternoon weight exercises.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!