not losing weight

vaavamom1
vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
My calorie goal is 1200 a day,I burn close to 400 cals a day 6 times a week,have been doing this for 6 weeks now.i do not see any change in my weight :( .My clothes feels a lil big but i want to see the proof on the weighing scale
now the other question is my excercise cals ,i know this has been answered so many times,now since i am set at 1200 cals and i burn 400 cals.should i be eating 1600 cals or 1200 cals.

2117051.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I haven't lost anything either...i generally burn 500 calories, but only eat back a few of them...sometimes i'll eat them all back, and i've tried not eathing any...nothing's working
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    take measurements, those will show you more success.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Woman typically should not eat less than 1200 calories ON TOP of calories burned through exercise, as it can put you into starvation mode (unless of course a dr puts you on a specific diet plan). You can actually hold on to weight if this happens, not to mention you may not be getting the nutrients and energy your body needs. It can also slow your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight in the future. For men it is 1500.
  • redcrow9
    redcrow9 Posts: 22 Member
    Definitely 1600! Your body needs that fuel to lose weight. If you don't eat enough your metabolism can shut down and you won't lose anything. Think of it this way if you eat only 1200 cals per day and then work out burning 400 that means that you are only actually getting 800cals! The average woman needs 1200 cals just to lay in bed all day!
    I would actually eat more than 1600 if you exercise that often. Maybe 1800 on your workout days.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Make sure you measure yourself...I know from previous experience that when the scale stops moving something else is moving...I couldn't believe the inches lost. It definitely keeps you motivated. :)
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    My calorie goal is 1200 a day,I burn close to 400 cals a day 6 times a week,have been doing this for 6 weeks now.i do not see any change in my weight :( .My clothes feels a lil big but i want to see the proof on the weighing scale
    now the other question is my excercise cals ,i know this has been answered so many times,now since i am set at 1200 cals and i burn 400 cals.should i be eating 1600 cals or 1200 cals.

That's why you aren't losing weight ... you are only storing 800 calories/day you need to consume at least 1200 to lose weight so yes, you should be eating closer to 1600 calories/day. Therefore whatever you DO eat stays with you and you aren't losing. Also WATCH YOUR SODIUM. Seriously, I gained 3lbs in 1 day and it was all sodium/water retention (to gain an actual 3 lbs I would have had to have consumed 10,500 calories in that day).
  • okSpinach
    okSpinach Posts: 1 Member
    I'm eating an average of 1200 calories and exercising daily, and losing steadily. I'm 5'3". I'm not in "starvation" mode, and I'm not losing muscle.
    If you aren't losing at the recommended calorie level from the site (and you were honest about your height and weight when you plugged in the numbers) it's time to look at "where" your calories are coming from. I find the protein/carb/fat recommendations here really helpful. The days I've had stalls or a mini gain (a few ounces) I've looked at where my calories have come from and made adjustments accordingly. Make sure you are getting enough of each group (I don't lose when I cut out all the fat and carbs, maybe you are the same) and not an overabundance of any one group.
    Good luck!

and yes, I'm a newbie here, but I just moved over from a different site because of the phone app. 29 pounds total since June!!
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    i do not jus go by how much i have lost here; i am a member of sparkspeople too. ( though i dont go there much, i like it here better.. easier 2 track ) but i have been watchin what i eat, & i have been told by many people i meet workin out with, & work with; that i am what is called a work out junkie. 6 daz a week we work out 2 1/2 hrs a day, longer on sat. i wear a perdometer to work, i adverage about 10.000 - 12.000 steps, bout 300 - 600 calories burned. i track everything. i have gone from 265 in jan, to as of this am 219... i dont lose a lot either... but let me tell u this keep watchin what u eat. track everything... even mustard on your sandwich. i have gone from a 3x, to right now i am wearing a xlg... ( down 4 sizes ) if u dont lose 2 well in the beginning on the scales; dont worry.. 1 thing i have learned 2 accept is that if u keep losin body inches; then u are losing!!!!! so dont give up, stay strong, & u will lose, if not 1 way; then the other. and even a little here & there; the other will, even slowly ( it seems sum tymes 2 slow 4 u ) will happen....gl
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Woman typically should not eat less than 1200 calories ON TOP of calories burned through exercise, as it can put you into starvation mode (unless of course a dr puts you on a specific diet plan). You can actually hold on to weight if this happens, not to mention you may not be getting the nutrients and energy your body needs. It can also slow your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight in the future. For men it is 1500.

I agree...I have my weight loss goal set to 1.5 pounds per week because the more "restricted" calories helps keep me accountable. I usually still end up eating 1400-1500 a day if I do a good amount of exercise. (That is only about 1/2 of my exercise calories back)
    Every 10 pounds MFP asks if you want to adjust your calorie goal lower. It wil never drop below 1200. I would find where your body is working the best. When you hit a Plateu, (sp? sorry!) Mix it up. Try sticking to 1200 (on top of exercise) for 1 week, then go back up to 1400 the next. And so on. I find when I do this that I lose 2-3 pounds the week I go back to the 1400 calories. My body just keeps burning them off.

SO the main answer.....1200 is the base, to eat. With exercise,
  • What worked for me before I plateaued, which happened after I lost 50lb. Is the following

Breakfast: Optimum nutrition whey protein with skim milk.
    Snack: Low fat yogurt (10:00 a.m)
    Lunch: Optimum Nutrition whey protein with skim milk
    Snack: Yep low fat yogurt.
    Supper: 500 calories.
    Snack: Half cup frosted flakes

You will be hungry all the time. But if you can do this for 2 weeks, you will drop 5lbs min. After the two weeks, substitue lunch shake with tuna wrap no mayo etc.

If anyone tries this, let me know. It worked for me. The reason I choose optimum nutrition is because it is the best tasting and mixes easily. But other proteins are fine as well.

Plus 40 min of cardio on empty stomack everyday. The sweating kind. If you are not completely disgusting when you are finished you need to train harder.
This discussion has been closed.