Recipes with poached egg, please

Options
MsMischief
MsMischief Posts: 32 Member
I just bought a poaching pan yesterday to make eggs benedict, this morning we had poached eggs on toast.

I'm addicted, this is such an easy and delicious way of cooking eggs, but how to serve? (Other than on toast, eggs benedict or eggs florentine)

Please share your favourite poached egg recipes!

Replies

• terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Poached egg is amazing on top of chicken salad. You don't need dressing if you keep the yolk runny. Yum!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs are great for giving a boost of flavor and richness to simple dinners:

over a bowl of white beans cooked with bay leaf, onions, garlic, carrot (I've also done this with the Green Giant "digestive health" mix of carrots, navy beans, and spinach - very yummy for frozen veg)
    over a baked potato, steamed potatoes, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes
    over a green salad, with the yolk making a dressing, with a little balsamic vinegar
    a bed of couscous, with sauteed radicchio & tomato, a little fig-infused white balsalmic, topped with a poached egg

for breakfast (or breakfast for dinner) over grits (well, I always end up mixing it in, so not exactly "over" the grits)
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    With asparagus!
  • sandra211061
    sandra211061 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i like a poached egg on a large grilled mushroom with a slice of tomato on top and another nice one, not using your poacher is scoop the insides of a beef tomato out and crack your egg inside and bake for 10mins ... really tasty
  • funkie76
    funkie76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    poached egg on toast! ha ha.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    poached egg on toast! ha ha.

I'm with you! Grew up with it and still one of my favorites!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well for this one you won't need the poaching pan but it's might yummy: poached eggs on spicy tomato sauce AKA shukshuka. Try this recipe from The smitten kitchen:http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/04/shakshuka/
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    while I LOVE poached eggs on toast (I refuse to give up my childhood simplicities) I have found a "breakfast" salad to be a nice way to start the day or be a nice light dinner. Just place a poached egg on a bed of lettuce, add a link of breakfast sausage (diced) and top with the dressing (1 t olive oil, 1T lemon juice, 1 1/2 t grainy mustard - just whisk it all together and add a pinch of garlic powder and a dash of pepper) ... I know. its technical :wink: but I love it :bigsmile:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I know you said something other than Eggs Benedict, but have you thought about having it with some salmon or tuna? It tastes AMAZING especially if you add a bit more pepper than you think. And I made a sauce in place of hollandaise with just yogurt, lemon juice and a bit of Dijon Mustard. So good! They're great on salads too. Actually, they're good with most veggies! That yummy egg yolk can be even better than cheese or butter in my opinion. Especially asparagus. There's also shakshuka, which is an egg dish that I've never had the nerve to make myself, but have had a few times and it is glorious. I had it twice at an Israeli restaurant and an Egyptian one, so I'm not sure of the origins, but it is so tasty!