Skinny Me VS. Fat Me

Options
Okay so this is more or less an observation but something that struck me very hard today and I really wanted to post about it.

Brief history:
Female, Early twenties, Height 5'3", Starting weight between 190-185
In 2008 began to experience multiple symptoms, most severe of which were numbness and loss of feeling on left hand side of body. Was unable to function and began to get worse and worse with left sided weakness. Doctors were could not explain and began to pass her around to other doctors. Mayo Clinic twice, Chicago hospitals twice, all in all over 50 doctors were seen to get a diagnosis for a body that was rapidly failing.
Diagnosis: Depression, overweight, "You're imagining it", "Its an anomaly"

I was told as I walked with a cane due to my left leg dragging that it was all in my head. That if I got on an antidepressant, lost some weight, I would be fine. Loose weight. Loose weight. Loose weight. The end of this story? I kept fighting. I knew there was something else wrong. Did my research. Came up with a diagnosis. Found a doctor that would run the test and sure enough, I was right. Its a rare blood clotting disorder that mimics MS.

Fast forward to my life today.
Brief history:
Female, Early twenties, Height 5'3", Starting weight between 115-118
In August I started experiencing severe side pain. I do not have my gall bladder, appendix and have had a hysterectomy. My doctors were on the ball. Not once was it mentioned that I might be depressed. Not once am I pretending. Not ONCE was I even told you have an upset tummy, take a tum. Instead, multiple times its been alluded that since I "obviously" take care of myself it can't be this or that. Or since I'm the right size they can go ahead and "rule" this out.

Mind you, I don't have a diagnosis right now...but I have doctors JUMPING at me to help me rather then pushing me off onto somone else. I remember from the past a doctor appointment that lasted 10 seconds. "I already read your file. You are overweight, there is nothing I can do." Seriously?

I had a doctor's appointment today that got this thought process rolling. While I appreciate the fact that I have help, it infuriates me. It breaks my heart for the Tara that sat there for hours in the waiting room chair aching to be well...to stop STROKING. It breaks my heart for overweight people that are getting SHUNNED because of things that are out of their control. I wasn't overweight because I was eating the wrong things. I was overweight because my body was SICK. Not because I was depressed but because I couldn't move!

My doctor today was so kind. It was almost like he could read the pain in my eyes because one of the first things he said to me was "I apologize on behalf of the system for mistreating you." Thats right. They all have. How dare they. I love being the size I am now, but I was still HUMAN then.

I just wish there was a way to make the medical system open their eyes to people. PERIOD.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    God, you are so right, Tara. So many overweight people are mistreated because they see a big person and figure that's the main cause. For a lot of people, maybe it is, and great for them when they lose weight and have no more issues. But it's sad when someone really has problems NOT because of their weight and yet are treated like crap like you were.
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    wow! that is upsetting to hear.
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    I completely agree!! We do get treated different and it isn't right!!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I am glad that the drs are now trying to help you and I hope you find out what is wrong and also find out what to do about it. I have experienced the same thing. I had a dr put me on meds that made me gain 40lbs in 3 months and then he told me if I just lost weight I would feel better. Well I switched drs 3xs and finally got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and hypothyroid. Yeah I agree if I lost weight I would feel better but there were other things going on. It is horrible that people get treated so different because of their weight. GRRRrrrrrr
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    +1 on the OP.....I had a doctor for 2 years tell me that I was just overweight and depressed. turned out she missed PCOS and, oh yeah, a FREAKIN' BRAIN TUMOR.

There was something on this today on yahoo, too, I think. About how overweight people are being discriminated against by their employers and their doctors, too. Only makes things worse.

I'm glad you found someone to listen, tho....and it'd be nice if people wouldn't judge. Especially doctors. You'd think they'd know better about the myriad of causes for being overweight!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience. It really is uncalled for. There ARE doctors out there though that are kind and caring and it sounds like you had one today. Thank goodness.

I'm glad you wrote this thread. Writing can be therapeutic and I know you are struggling today. Hang in there and know that some chick in Louisiana is rooting for you.....and keeping you in her prayers! HUGS!
  • dwazy
    dwazy Posts: 13
    Options
    OMG! That is wrong on so many counts! Good for you for pushing for a different diagnosis and YOU saved your life. Glad to see you stuck it through and lost some weight along the way. :smile:
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    My aunt is having that issue. She was told that her side pain was all in her head. That she needed anti depressants and to lose weigh. She looked at the Dr and said they were nuts and demanded a different one right then and there.

It's insane that Dr's of all people can not treat everyone the same and with the same ethics.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I really don't understand it. I know there are people who handle their bodies irresponsibly. But even if those people were in a doctor's office trying to get answers about symptoms unrelated to their weight (or even weight AS a symptom) I believe every doctor owes it to their patient to look past their physical appearance. Its the same way as casting judgment on someone because of the color of their skin only its how wide they are going through a doorway!

Doctors in general don't score very high in my book just because of negative experiences but after this thought process, I really do think this played a huge part. Thanks for reading everyone. :o)
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    Very well put!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    +1 on the OP.....I had a doctor for 2 years tell me that I was just overweight and depressed. turned out she missed PCOS and, oh yeah, a FREAKIN' BRAIN TUMOR.

There was something on this today on yahoo, too, I think. About how overweight people are being discriminated against by their employers and their doctors, too. Only makes things worse.

I'm glad you found someone to listen, tho....and it'd be nice if people wouldn't judge. Especially doctors. You'd think they'd know better about the myriad of causes for being overweight!

First off, I'm soooo SORRY about your brain tumor!!! I hope that is all under control now...was it pituitary related?

Also, I hadn't heard about the yahoo thing but I went looking for it and it was fascinating so I thought I would post it:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/3-strikes-against-curvy-women-2396311/

Thanks for telling me about it! :o)
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Yes, it was pituitary. luckily (or unlickily I guess) it's small enough that they don't want to operate on it and just monitor it. But I kind of wish they'd take it out because it's one of the things affecting me trying to lose weight. Neuro got all ticked saying that he wasn't performing brain surgery so I could lose weight!

The PCOS we got under control with Metformin, and I'd lost about 35-40 lbs before my last pregnancy. Now I haven't been able to lose anything but what I gained after the pregnancy (hence the 12-13 lbs on my ticker).

But yeah, doctors sometimes don't get it. Good luck and KUP!
  • HeaterM
    HeaterM Posts: 275
    Options
    Did they put you on a blood thinner?