Beating Cravings

Options
How do some of you manage your cravings for salty and/or sugary foods? I'm still staying under my calories and slowly meeting my weight loss goals. But I know I would see more tone and definition especially in my stomach if I stayed away from the chips and candy bars. What do you do as alternatives? Or how do you get past the cravings? I do eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, so hunger is never the issue...HELP!!! :sad:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    egg whites is the main thing I use. the extra protien I get helps replace the sugar craving.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I manage my chocolate cravings by keeping a bag of Ghiradelli 60 % dark chocolate chips in the house. 8 of them are 40 calories and if you eat them slowly, and let them melt in your mouth, it is very satisfying. I've never been a big chip person but if I want something crunchy, I will eat baby carrots with roasted red pepper hummus and if I want something salty, I'll make some edamame with a little bit of sea salt. My latest every single day snace is a small gala apple with 1 tablespoon of creamy Jif. OMG, I totally love it! Satisfies both the sweet and crunchy craving. For me it's truly about portion control. I don't deny myself anything I really feel like I need but I eat a small amount of it. (For example, buy 1 cookie from the bakery rather than making a batch of cookies or buying a tube of cookie dough. One cookie is fine but I have no self control and that whole batch of cookies would be gone.)
  • thehine
    thehine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i tend to go for a pint of water or a hot cordial drink, takes your mind off the munches and the hot cordial takes time to drink so keeps you occupied. or go for a walk to the shops - you burn calorieand then are occupie
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Try fruit for a sweet craving... or chewing gum.

Try nuts for a salt craving...

But I agree with Amarillo - up your protein, and you should notice less cravings all around. :-)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings:
    1: sugar free popsicles
    2: cinnamon tablets
    3: sugar free gum

Salt cravings:
    Jenny Craig popcorn or Trader Joe's olive oil popcorn.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Something better than chips, though not as good as fresh veggies, is "fried" cheerios. I know, sounds WAY weird.

Place non-stick cooking spray in saute pan over medium high heat. Pour in plain cheerios to a single layer and stir continuously with a sprinkle of sea salt. Remove from heat as soon as they start turning a golden brown color. Watch out, they burn quickly!

SOOOOOO yummy. Like I said, not as good as veggies, but better than chips.