Any one else hungry after weight training???

Options
I was wondering if anyone else gets super hungry all day after starting weight training??

I used to be able to exercise (Jillian, elliptical, cardio stuff) and still eat under 1200 calories (i know you are not supposed to), i now eat 1400-1600 depending on exercise, so dont yell at me for that!!

But ever since i started ChaLean Extreme (it is the 1st time I’ve ever lifted over 3-5 lb dumbbells before) I notice i am hungry all day long. She mentions it a few times in her dvd's but seriously... I’m hungrier than ever!!

Replies

• osupike35
    osupike35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here with my stomach growling and I've had 1515 calories today. I guess we need to get more protein to keep our hunger down.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Your body's craving protein. Good thing is there's plenty of high protein, low cal stuff out there, you just gotta hunt it down :)
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I am doing Chalene Extreme too. I am in the lean phase. There is no way I could keep eating 1200 calories and do this program. I was so hungry I as going to chew my arm off. :)
    I bumped my calories up to 1500 which helps so much. I make sure I eat protein at every meal and make sure I eat a little something every 2 hours. I have still lost weight, but am so much happier. I am not good when I ma hungry.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I read something a while ago that advised to get your food under control before you jump into weight training as it does make you much hungrier. I only did cardio and really honed my diet before introducing more weight training as I found this to be very true for me as well. I find Im not tempted to eat "something" as a result.
    Either a protein bar or shake is what a lot of people suggest for replacing that energy . . . I often leave my almond snack for after my weight training, or an oz of cheese or yogurt . . . something to stop my stomach from growling to get the next meal prepared.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Since I've been working out consistently for the last 8 months, I've noticed I'm almost always hungry: about every 2-3 hours, which is good. I always eat after doing a good workout especially since if you eat within the first 45 minutes you're getting the most out of your food & you're speeding up your metab which is very good!
    Protein is a definit help in hunger control, though!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I just came from doing a kettlebell workout and I am having to force myself to eat my lunch. It's like my whole digestive system shut down. I wonder why that is.

The thing that makes me really hungry are the long bike rides. I get so behind in my calories, as is inevitable with endurance training, and it can take me as much as 3 days to catch up!
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    The only thing worse for me is Swimming. If I swim the next day I am totally famished all day. I find protein bars to be a good meal suppliment because they are usually 300 calories or less which is less than an average meal.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely starved after weightlifting. I immediately have my protein shake. About an hour before I work out I usually have a banana or apple so that I do not get hungry during my training time.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse for me is Swimming. If I swim the next day I am totally famished all day. I find protein bars to be a good meal suppliment because they are usually 300 calories or less which is less than an average meal.
    Apparently, this is because the water is colder than your body temperature. Or so I've read.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I'm starting CLX August 2. I've heard you get really hungry. I need to find ways to sneak in more protein too.
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. I starve all the time since i started weight training. I am eating more but still losing weight so i will take what I can get!! Good luck to everyone!!!
  • coopfan
    coopfan Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm doing high intensity, super slow strength training 3 x week and never feel unusually hungry afterwards. But as soon as I ad cardio, I get really hungry within about 15 minutes and sometimes wake up feeling hungry the next day.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am ravenous after I lift
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes! I bumped my cal intake on lifting days and usually take on board extra protein.
  • HnFit2013
    Options
    Same here, I just started weighted crossfit training last week. I was like a hungry bear all day long yesterday & my body was hurting all over. To help with this, I gave myself an additional 300 calories of lean proteins & whole grains. For the amount of training I did the last 2 days, I don't feel bad about eating an additional 300.
    We are learning to get used to this new way of healthy living. It will be a lifestyle change if we don't learn along the way. We must learn to also love our bodies in the process. Within reason we can eat a little more to help with the pain of gaining muscle mass & strength.
    My husband is a heavy lifter in the gym & said that this hunger will come and go. Don't panic, just learn how to adjust & calculate your calorie burn.
    You are doing fabulous! Keep going Fitness Pals!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    After a heavy lifting session I am STARVING. Like seriously, it's ridiculous.
  • alexthebb
    Options
    Yes, it helps me choke down part of my 4500 cals a day -.-
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So. Hungry.

When I type in my workout and I find out I only have an extra 100 calories for the day, I want to crawl in a hole and cry. And eat a cow. But I can't. Because cows are more like 10,000 calories.
  • sarah3436
    sarah3436 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree. Since I started Chalean xtreme I have been so hungry following weight training days. I am on week 8 and it hasn't gotten any better. I have lost inches though but no weight. However, my goal was to maintain and shape up. But I am so hungry....I eat a lot of nuts and whole grains options!
  • Justx80
    Justx80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is so settling to see this thread. I'm only a week into ChaLEAN Extreme, but I realized that everyday I've been like a bottomless pit...snacking constantly, but never satisfied. After some insight from this thread I can update WHAT I'm eating to fuel my body properly. Thanks guys!