Feeling weak during excercise

Options
For the past few days, I've felt really weak and lethargic during my Pilates workouts. Usually I feel great after 30 minutes of advanced Pilates and HIIT but I thought I could change it up a bit and now I've increased it to 40-55 minutes and it's weird because even though it's longer, I don't feel like my muscles are really doing anything. I mean, I get sweaty and all, but I feel like I'm not challenging my body. When I still had my period, I used to be a bit anemic and took iron pills, but that's because my diet wasn't the best. Now I try to eat meat (mostly chicken) and vegetables every day, but I'm still wondering if it's some sort of iron deficiency or something. I upped my carb intake a bit because I thought it might help with excercise, but I feel pretty crappy and on top of that, my foot randomly falls asleep during the day. :grumble:

I feel like maybe I should cut it down on the excercise again, but I kind of feel bad about that because it's been only about a week since I made the switch and maybe my body just needs time to get used to it and I'm just being a baby. :laugh:
I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• htherrien0406
    Options
    I have been anemic as well, mine is on again off again and the Dr has no idea why. When I feel myself getting really weak I take an iron supplement with OJ 2x a day until I feel myself back on track. Hopefully that's all it is ;)
  • kramalicious
    Options
    IT sounds like you're doing a lot of high intensity exercise. Are you getting lots of protein as soon as you're finished to help rebuild your muscles? If you just changed up your routine you might need to adjust your food , too.
    I kept my workouts increasing and progressing. I did notice I was pretty much tired all the time at night. Then I went on vacation for a few days. When I came back, I was full of energy! turns out I was doing too much without getting adequate rest.
    don't be afraid to take an extra day off and just REST and refuel.
    If it goes on for a few weeks despite checking your food and resting more, I'd go to the doctor. What has really helped me when I have some hiccup in my training , it to consult a trainer and also a nutritionist. The nutritionist changed up my macros, adjusted my total calories a bit and I am back to losing and better able to hit the harder workouts.
    HTH.
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    IT sounds like you're doing a lot of high intensity exercise. Are you getting lots of protein as soon as you're finished to help rebuild your muscles? If you just changed up your routine you might need to adjust your food , too.
    I kept my workouts increasing and progressing. I did notice I was pretty much tired all the time at night. Then I went on vacation for a few days. When I came back, I was full of energy! turns out I was doing too much without getting adequate rest.
    don't be afraid to take an extra day off and just REST and refuel.
    If it goes on for a few weeks despite checking your food and resting more, I'd go to the doctor. What has really helped me when I have some hiccup in my training , it to consult a trainer and also a nutritionist. The nutritionist changed up my macros, adjusted my total calories a bit and I am back to losing and better able to hit the harder workouts.
    HTH.

Usually I try to get some protein in before and right after excercise, mostly in the form of meat, eggs, milk or cheese and so far it has worked out pretty well for me.
    Maybe I am doing too much, I'm not sure, I felt like this last time when I was severely anemic, but it's not like I don't eat meat or anything. :/
    The resting thing is a bit more difficult for me because I have light spasticity in my leg and if I don't excercise 6 days a week, when I go out I can barely feel my leg and as a result walking becomes very difficult and slightly painful. But I do get enough sleep! In fact, the quality of my sleep has improved immensely and I try to sleep for at least 7 hours every night. So when I wake up, I feel very energized and I get lots of stuff done during the day, but once I work out, all the energy vanishes and I can't get anything done afterwards.
    However, I've been excercising my whole life and if I don't get my daily workout, I get really antsy lol
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    I have been anemic as well, mine is on again off again and the Dr has no idea why. When I feel myself getting really weak I take an iron supplement with OJ 2x a day until I feel myself back on track. Hopefully that's all it is ;)

Will definitely try that! Do you take them with your meals or does that not matter?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could get blood work done and see if you are low in anything?

Typically when people say they are feeling weak on here it is because they are starving themselves, which doesn't seem tp be the issue with you. (way to go for that by the way).

I'm not a doctor or have any real knowledge in this area, but I used to have a similar problem. I thought it was my iron, which was a little low, but it was mainly due to my vitamin D levels.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you no longer have your period. Is this due to menopause or did it just stop? Overtraining and insufficient body fat both cause loss of your period AND extreme lethargy and inability to work out at previous levels. If you are still premenopausal I would recommend seeing a doctor. If not, I would still recommend having your vitamin D, iron, and B12 tested, and maybe thyroid function while you are at it.

I assume you are eating sufficient calories? If not, this would be the place to start.
  • lifegoeson25
    lifegoeson25 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the exact same thing, several times the last couple of weeks.
    I just breath through it. Tomorrow is another day.
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    Is there any way you could get blood work done and see if you are low in anything?

Typically when people say they are feeling weak on here it is because they are starving themselves, which doesn't seem tp be the issue with you. (way to go for that by the way).

I'm not a doctor or have any real knowledge in this area, but I used to have a similar problem. I thought it was my iron, which was a little low, but it was mainly due to my vitamin D levels.

Right now I'm swamped with homework, but I will try to visit my doctor Moday or Tuesday after uni.
    I don't really like the feeling of hunger pangs anyways, so starving is not an option. :laugh:
    I always try to go for something filling and nutritious.
    You mentioned you no longer have your period. Is this due to menopause or did it just stop? Overtraining and insufficient body fat both cause loss of your period AND extreme lethargy and inability to work out at previous levels. If you are still premenopausal I would recommend seeing a doctor. If not, I would still recommend having your vitamin D, iron, and B12 tested, and maybe thyroid function while you are at it.

I assume you are eating sufficient calories? If not, this would be the place to start.

Well, I'm 21, the last time I had my period was in April. I went off birth control and then due to one ripped condom I had to take the morning after pill and I haven't had my period since. I went to see my gyno in June and he said that that happened sometimes and it would come back on its own, but now it's November and I'm contemplating on paying him another visit.

Is the thyroid tested together with the blood or is that a separate test?

Yes I usually try to eat 1200 net calories, now I actually increased it to 1300 net calories.