Just started running, could use some encouragement

Options
2»

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and used a C25K program. I've now run several 5k's, a 10k, and have my first half in 2 weeks. Keep at it, it gets easier.:flowerforyou:

For headphones, I got a pair that fit in the ear. I only wear one, so I can hear what's going on around me.

For shoes, it's best to determine what kind of foot pronation you have. This will help you pick the proper shoe for your foot. A running shoe store can diagnose and make recommendations for shoes.
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cold weather running can be rough. When I was in the police academy we ran outdoors up north when it was sometimes -19F. (the actual cutoff where we weren't allowed outside was -20F lol).

I would recommend adding up some sprints if you can (if there's no ice out). But you don't have to do maximal sprinting. Just increase your speed by an extra 25% or so for a few blocks or quarter mile

I live in Georgia, it doesn't get that cold. But I am a Florida girl, so anything below 50 is cold.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hello from another GA girl :flowerforyou:

Like they said, get the app! It's better to run slow when you are starting out. I've been running since July and I'm still only about 15 minutes a mile. I'm on a 10k app now, I figure I can only improve my 5k time by running more.

Stick it out, it's very rewarding!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting running!! I kinda flirted with running for about a year and half before something "clicked" about 3 months ago, and I'm addicted now! When I first started this, my friend (who is a work out fiend!) asked when I last ran, I told him when I was forced to, in middle school. (I just had my 25 high school year reunion!) So...if a fat 44 year old chick with bad knees can do this, then you can too!

I second (or third, fourth, fifth?) the getting good shoes. I started on cheap Wal-Mart shoes, & really hurt my knee, was off it for a few months with brace & prescription Naproxen! Good shoes are a MUST! And I also bump it up more & say good running socks, too. A little more expensive but worth it. I have New Balance ones with an arch support (can't remember the name of them, sorry) & after 3 months of nearly daily use they are only beginning to "pill" along the heel area.

And agree with 5K's. I ran my 1st one in October, and since have since run a "virtual" one, and my next one is planned for Thanksgiving day! (2 more lined up in December...you get addicted! lol) My goal for next year is a Zombie run, my sons & 1 of their friends said they would do it with me - they are gonna be the zombies!

I have never done the C25K, I just started running by numbers, so to speak. 3 months ago, I did a run 2 mins, walk 2 mins for 20 mins. I barely made it. Every so often, I bumped that up to 30 seconds (run 2.3 mins, walk 2 mins) now it has evolved to running 5 mins, walking 1. I'm right on the verge to bumping it to 6/1 and that's a minimum 2.5 miles, about 37 mins or so.

Earphones: I currently use ear buds I got at Wal-Mart for like $9-10. I like them, but I have noticed after a little while, they do bounce out. I have seen the Yurbuds @ Wal-Mart for $28 & change. Those I think will be my next ones, I've seen a LOT of people say nothing but good about them.

Wow - didn't mean to be long-winded! But get a runner to talk about running...lol But keep it up!!!! (I live in FL, btw.)
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a Charity 5k. You can't back out and because it's for charity you want to do it well. I used C25k, I'm only on week 8, but I'm forced into a break as I'm being tested for glandular fever. When I started C25K I couldn't run 3 minutes without stopping, infact I'd bet I struggled with 2! A 20 minute "jog" and I was done. Now I can comfortably run a 5k in under 35 and a 10k in 1:10. Just keep going, find your own pace- it may even seem like you could walk faster! get good shoes, a good playlist and trust the app. It works wonders! To log distance I use map my run, but your phone needs GPS.
  • Anth73
    Options
    Tigerlily,

Well done you for hitting the road! Honestly no other form of exercise is the same for straightout calorie burning. Can I make two suggestions please?

First, you might want to look at a marathon as a 3 year goal rather than a next year goal. Most marathon running festivals include a variety of events - 5km, 10km, half marathon and full marathon. Work your way up - do three 5k events, three 10km and then three half-marathons before attempting your full marathon. Once you get into the third and fourth hour of your first full marathon, you'll realise why. It really is a whole different level of endurance athletics.

Second, I wouldn't be worrying so much about times at the moment. In fact, if your goal is to run a marathon, I wouldn't worry about times for at least a year or so. Concentrate on just adding endurance - either a little extra distance each day, or an extra 60 seconds each day. When you get to the point where you can run 6 miles daily (it will happen, sooner than you think) then - just for the fun of it - do a timed 1.5 mile run and compare it to your current times. I promise you, it will come down heaps.

Good luck - and remember, no matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone who's at home on the couch :-)