I hate food! :(

Options
I've been with MFP for 5 weeks today and have successfully lost 12 pounds. My thing says 13, but it fluctuates. I exercise at least an hour 6x a week. I LOVE exercise and actually look forward to it. However, I'm in a rough place with my eating. It seems like I've been extremely hungry lately and I have been eating back all of my exercise calories. I just wish I could get motivated to eat healthier. I'm in this for the long haul and I just need a way to jump start eating healthy. Any suggestions on how you did it?! I have always had an extremely unhealthy addiction to food. For the past 2 days I have eaten a really unhealthy lunch (like cheeseburger and fries) and then I skip dinner. Completely horrible, but I feel like I can't live without that "food fix". How do I overcome this obstacle???

Also, is there some kind of diet that I could do for a week or so to detox my body?

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    check and make sure you are getting enough protien in your diet. Also, make sure you are eating as little processed foods as possible. I found out that foods like liquids and powders, do not burn any calories when consumed and your body will not treat them as food but will use them as calories, hince you can still be hungry even though you ate 2000 calories in processed meal.
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Seriously, some people do, and so do I - have a cheat day. Have 1 day a week or 1 day every 10days or so to just eat what you want. Watch the portions, but just get it out of your system. I've also just found healthy foods that I like to substitute bad ones. I love couscous salad, although I can't stand normal salads, I like pea pods, but I can't stand carrots. I still eat cheese, just light cheese. I don't know... everything in moderation? Don't stress yourself out, if this is meant to be a long time lifestyle change, you have to learn to make accommodations and in that - it might take you longer to lose the weight but at least you'll still be stable and happy.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    It's hard - it just takes time to get used to healthier eating:( I used to love fast food and eat it all the time but basically cut it out a few months ago and actually felt sick this weekend after eating a fast food burger. Stock up on fruits and veggies and lean meats and try experimenting with different cooking techniques to find ways to make things you like. I hated vegetables till i starting grilling them. Spices and herbs really help too. Good luck!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a weakness for the not so healthy foods sometimes as well. I just balance it out. I will get a burger once a week, but I do not get fries or soda, etc.

I also find eating high quality whole foods does reduce my cravings for less healthy options. Cottage cheese, fruits, nuts, chicken, and so on have now become my staple with a little wildness here or there in a burger joint or pizza parlor.

You can make the change. that is why you are here after all!
  • FitBy30_2014
    FitBy30_2014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. It feels great to know that I'm not in this alone and that others struggle with the same issues. I'm going grocery shopping tonight and fruits and veggies are at the top of my list!! :)
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    12lbs in 5 weeks is great! Just remember it's a lifestyle, not a quick fix and by doing this right, it will mean you will maintain your slender new body when you reach where you want to be. I have one day off a week (Sunday) where I don't log my food and I eat not-so-healthy food, and so far my weight loss has been fairly consistent, I am half way to my goal weight and I know I will get there. :drinker:
  • hammod
    hammod Posts: 23
    Options
    Totally ok to cheat once in a while. Last week i had a piece of pie and skipped lunch just so I could fit that darn pie in my calorie range, and I didn't regret it once because it was really good pie. When I make cheeseburgers i still eat them, but without the bun. And yes every now and then I get a "HUNGRY" day where I just want to eat all day and I will just try to eat healthy stuff and small portions. If I want ice cream I eat a few spoonfuls and leave it at that (better than a whole bowl right). I have actually lost 20 lbs in the last year before I started MFP and 12 in 5 weeks is AWESOME! You kind of just have to figure out what works for you. :)

Also make sure you are drinking enough water as sometimes if the body is dehydrated it will make you think your hungry, but really you're thirsty.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I started by writing out all the things that I didn't like that I did. Like eating fast food, drinking soda, not making healthy dinner for my kids, ect. Then one by one I turned them into mini goals. I told myself no more fast food, if I wanted a hamburger and fries I would make it myself at home. Then once I had that in the bag I started on the next thing. Adding a veggie to lunch, adding a 2nd veggie to lunch, cooking with less meat, whatever it is work on one little step at a time. After about 6 months I started getting people telling me how great I looked. I didn't "diet" I just changed one thing at a time and before I knew it I had trained myself to eat healthier. I am always looking for a new mini goal, right now it is drinking water. I try to get 10 8oz glasses a day. If I don't, I don't get mad at myself but until I can drink all my water everyday for a while that is what I am working on. Once it is a piece of cake, I can pick a new mini goal.

This is just what I do, you can do it this way or not. But just try a few things and see what works best for you. The best advise I have gotten on MFP is... "What is your hurry?" My main goal is to live healthy. I don't need to lose 20 lbs in 6 weeks or even 6 months. But I do want to learn how to have a happy, healthy life. If it takes me 20 years to learn how and to lose the weight that's fine. I'll be healthier one step at a time the whole way.
  • erinup
    erinup Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    12 lbs in 5 weeks is fantastic! I too excercise 5-6 days a week - mostly running, sometimes mountain biking. I like to excercise and feel strong - but I also love that I get extra calories for it. I eat my excercise calories most days. I use them to add avocado, feta, nuts etc to my salads or sandwiches. Or I add peanut butter or string cheese to my afternoon apple. I basically try to add healthier foods that I really enjoy to my basic calories. I have lost about 7lbs in about 4 weeks. I love to eat and this way I feel like I still get to eat what I want and drop at a reasonable rate.
  • thefallguy
    Options
    You know, I have a horrible sweet tooth that has kept me from dieting for years!! Try this out, I allow myself cookies, in moderation. They sell chips ahoy and chocolate covered pretzels in 100 calorie packs, it's amazing!! Now I don't have to worry about that...."just one more, just one more!" problem. I have a set amount in one bag. I have cut down on sweets a lot, but every now and then I enjoy a sweet snack to switch it up and keep me straight! The special K bars are actually very good, as well.

Good Luck!! :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I started by writing out all the things that I didn't like that I did. Like eating fast food, drinking soda, not making healthy dinner for my kids, ect. Then one by one I turned them into mini goals. I told myself no more fast food, if I wanted a hamburger and fries I would make it myself at home. Then once I had that in the bag I started on the next thing. Adding a veggie to lunch, adding a 2nd veggie to lunch, cooking with less meat, whatever it is work on one little step at a time. After about 6 months I started getting people telling me how great I looked. I didn't "diet" I just changed one thing at a time and before I knew it I had trained myself to eat healthier. I am always looking for a new mini goal, right now it is drinking water. I try to get 10 8oz glasses a day. If I don't, I don't get mad at myself but until I can drink all my water everyday for a while that is what I am working on. Once it is a piece of cake, I can pick a new mini goal.

This is just what I do, you can do it this way or not. But just try a few things and see what works best for you. The best advise I have gotten on MFP is... "What is your hurry?" My main goal is to live healthy. I don't need to lose 20 lbs in 6 weeks or even 6 months. But I do want to learn how to have a happy, healthy life. If it takes me 20 years to learn how and to lose the weight that's fine. I'll be healthier one step at a time the whole way.

i absolutely love your idea....we all should be in this for the long haul....once we get to that "magic" number our lives are not going to change because they already will have.....making the changes slowly now will make them stick forever....this is the way i want to be for life.....this is not a quick fix for me...
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree with Jenn's post 100%!! Very well said. You need to adopt healthy behavior, and I think her advice to take on one thing at a time is very smart! Don't try to do too much at one time or you will give up. Baby steps will get you there, I promise!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    there are lots of detox stuff out there. i recommend one that has good calories/vitamins/real foods so that your body doesn't shut down on you with a lack of calories. it is also not good to do them for long periods of time. there is the Shakeology cleanse, Shakeology being only 140 calories and 70+ ingredients. message me for more info.

as for food. if you haven't broken your addiction to food, you need to find replacements that are a healthier choice. the Eat This, Not That book is GREAT for that. it's small and very affordable too.

there is no secret. we must eat healthy to have a healthy lifestyle. that being said, you don't have to give up EVERY pleasure. i eat chocolate every day and have 1/2 c ice cream (all natural vanilla) with fruit every night. yes i do, and i have lost weight and i'm healthier too! you have to find what works for YOU! fad diets will do nothing for you.

message me if you want more help and encouragement. i AM here and cheering you on to a healthy lifestyle that will work for you.

Jane
  • turbojanem
    Options

LOVE this!!! we can ALL learn from you! thanks for sharing.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the nice comments. I felt like a celebrity while I read the lovely things you had to say. :blushing:
    Just wanted to add that I too have my struggles. No one person has all the answers and that is why I love this site so much. Everyone can bring their own advice and perspective to the table. I am a recovering binge eater, and I have not been losing but more maintaining for about a year. Up a little, down a little, but the biggest thing that makes me feel like I am winning the battle is that I keep fighting. At times everyone has a low point, just hop back up and dust off and keep on plugging on!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend eating ALL of your exercise calories back. I never do.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    our most successful losers do. I do.

fueling your body is necessary. You wouldn't try to drive cross country on an empty tank, how can you expect your furnace (metabolism) to keep burning if you don't add fuel? I prefer a raging fire, not a smoldering one.

IMHO