Different Protein Powders- Question

Options
2»

Replies

• janinealfke
    Options
    I would use the higher protein shake mix because protein helps you build muscle. I know a lot who use the muscle milk light, but I use a whey protein isolate powder as I have had gastric bypass and we can better absorb that type of protein. Ultimately what you want from your protein powder (Surgery or not) is a high protein, low carb, and low sugar content.....if it has that...you're good. I would say 24g and up is a good amount of protein for a serving. I use 1.5 scoops of mine which is 24g a scoop, for 36g of protein. Then I add low carb milk (Hood Calorie Countdown, reduced fat milk) 8 oz equals 3g of carbs...so I get 6g of carbs in my morning protein shake....but 42g of protein.

Janine Alfke
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Also, if you're just going to tell me what brand you like to use, please tell me why.
    Other wise it's just like telling me you like Pepsi over Coke and not why you think it's better. =) Thank you!

Fair enough. I prefer Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard to the others I've tried for a number of reasons. First, it is highly recommended, is the most popular in the world I think, and has an amazing reputation. it has 23 grams of protein per serving, while only having about 3 grams of carbs and 1.5 grams of fat. It also has 5.5 grams of BCAA's, and somewhere around 4 grams of glutamine, both of which have well documented benefits both pre and post workout. It is not the best tasting whey powder I've tried, (EAS is), but that's because it barely has any sweetener in it, but honestly it aint that bad.

EDIT: and Coke, because Pepsi tastes like *kitten*.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    To calculate protein to fillers ratio:

Protein grams per serving (divided by) the total grams per serving (Serving size of the number of scoops in grams) = % of protein per serving

So example:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard: Vanilla Ice Cream
    - 23g Protein per serving
    - Total grams per serving size: 28g

23 divided by 28 = 0.821 -> 82.1%

One scoop of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard: Vanilla Ice Cream is made up of 82.1% proteins. The other 17.9% are fillers....

ISO 100 Vanilla Cream
    - 25g Proteins per serving
    - Total grams per serving size: 28g

25 divided by 28 = 0.892 -> 89.2%

One Scoop of ISO 100 Vanilla Cream is made up of 89.2% proteins. The other 10.8% are fillers...

Six Star Pro Nutrition: Professional Strength Whey Isolate French Vanilla Cream
    - 30g Proteins per serving
    - Total grams per serving size: 38g (I looked it up...)

30 divided by 38 = 0.789 -> 78.9%

One scoop of Six Star Pro Nutrition: Professional Strength Whey Isolate French Vanilla Cream is made up of 78.9% proteins. The other 21.1% are fillers....

(Walmart...) Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein: Chocolate
    - 30g Proteins per serving
    - Total grams per serving size: 42g

30 divided by 42 = 0.714 -> 71.4%

One Scoop of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein: Chocolate is made up of 71.4% proteins. The other 28.6% are fillers...

Nutrabolics: Athlete's Food Chocolate
    - 26g Protein per serving
    - Total grams per serving size: 72

26 divided by 72 = 0.361 -> 36.1%

One Nutrabolics: Athlete's Food chocolate is made up of 36.1% proteins. The other 63.9% are fillers...

So to fine the best quality protein... Look at ingredients & Do Math!
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Its so important to find a protein powder that is as clean as possible. So many of them contain artificial flavors, colors/dyes, processed GMO soy isolate and crap like sucralose. Right now I alternate between two each day. One is a plant-based proteins and the other is whey:

Vega Sport Protein: 130 cal/26 gm protein (http://vegasport.com/product/performance-protein/)

Sprouts Organic Whey Protein: 90 cal/18 protein

Good luck! And read your labels!! :-)

Completely agree with this. I only use non GMO products whenever possible.

I use garden of life raw protein. It's 90 cals for 17 gm.
  • HeatherSanford3
    HeatherSanford3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you really want a good whey protein the best is Isagenix. it is gluten free, soy free and natural and organic. No heavy metals. Message me for more details if you are interested