Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Pretty interesting...
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have long believed most of this and always recommend people to remove alcohol...and like the article said- THEY NEVER LISTEN!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    And not a single reference or citation to be found...........typical.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Why would they? Our ancestors didn't use citations. :laugh:
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Why would they? Our ancestors didn't use citations. :laugh:

HAHA.
    /thread

I think you are my two new favorite people. :flowerforyou:
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Riddle me this, last weekend I had a bottle of wine, lost 2lbs the weekend before I had no alcohol only lost 1lb. Why should I give up alcohol?
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    myself I am teetotal, however I have been on a Thai boxing training camp and there was a 'party' for Christmas and one of the oldest trainers in his 40's who didn't normally drink , ex fighter still fit with low body fat, drank a bottle of whiskey. Alcohol was banned on the camp so I expected him to be dead next day, but no, all the fighters and trainers were radiating fitness next day. They have very low fat percentages.
    Very fit people, can in my opinion, get out of their system very quickly the odd alcohol binge or huge greasy fast food meal,. and be back fighting fit, and doing better than any unfit person with average to high fat percentage.
  • supratt
    Options
    Very fit people, can in my opinion, get out of their system very quickly the odd alcohol binge or huge greasy fast food meal,. and be back fighting fit, and doing better than any unfit person with average to high fat percentage.

Yes, a well-maintained and properly functioning body is an amazingly adaptable and resilient thing!
  • Peace_Love_Coexist
    Options
    I learned this week, that this is exactly whats holding me back....I needed to hear this. It wasn't until my food log that I saw how many extra calories a week I was consuming in alcohol. I mean I knew I was a drinker but GEEZ!! ...I have a feeling that cutting it out completely is what I need to do...and to be honest...I don't like it ONE BIT :sad: ....wish me luck ... thanks for the post
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Or I'll just drink when I feel like it and lose 66lbs anyway. That's cool too.
  • tamsingammie
    tamsingammie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A colleague with a PhD in nutrition said "alcohol is double the calories of sugar". With that in mind I would rather save the calories for chocolate myself :-) If you are a heavy drinker, giving it up entirely all of a sudden will make you lose weight. If you give up alcohol entirely and you don't shed loads of pounds, then presumably it wasn't contributing that much to your intake in the first place.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Riddle me this, last weekend I had a bottle of wine, lost 2lbs the weekend before I had no alcohol only lost 1lb. Why should I give up alcohol?
    Not a riddle. One, weight loss is rarely perfectly linear. Two, alcohol dehydrates you as your body moves fluids out to get rid of the byproducts of alcohol breakdown (why you constantly have to pee while drinking, and also one of the contributing factors to the hangover) so after you replace those fluids your weight goes back up.

For people who only have a couple pounds to lose, alcohol raises your cortisol levels (both directly and indirectly) which can inhibit fat loss.