On the go meals...can someone help?

Options
With my job I travel a lot so of course most of my lunches come from a drive thru. Can someone help me with healthy lunch choices that I can pack and eat while I'm on the road

Replies

• platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Fruit, pre-cut veggies, and nuts!

I'm on the go a lot too, although I don't travel that much, but I usually cook on the weekends. I make a lot of stew, veggies, chicken... and then pack it, and take it with me wherever I go...

Good luck with your journey! :-)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I also eat on the go a lot! I've gotten into a routine for lunch - sandwiches, cheese sticks, single serve bags of nuts, apples, and granola bars are all easy to do and not too messy in the car. You can also make a couple of lunches up ahead of time and stick them in the fridge - the nice thing is that these things don't spoil/get squashed too quickly.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are doing fast food, Chick-Fil-A is one of the few places you can go to and get a super healthy and filling meal, but that is for lunch/dinner, as their breakfasts are too carby and calories rich.

In regards to on-the-go meals, I recommend searching the net as one option, as there are tons of websites that have recipes and health info for each item. You also have the option of making meals ahead of time, breaking them into servings, and packing that with you.

For actual meals, it's pretty tough, because most items will need to either be heated up or kept cooled. If you can travel with a large, well insulated cooler, then your options are pretty high. Same as if you can carry a thermos. There are many hearty soups that are low in calories and very filling. You can have sandwhiches, wraps, salads, homemade pizza (if you don't mind cold pizza), etc etc. Tons of options if you have the right gear.
  • hazyhaze
    hazyhaze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I pick up these Nabisco snack pack with 100 cal. I put one or two bags in my purse. and that help me from stopping a fast food places.
  • bstage
    bstage Posts: 4
    Options
    This is what I recommend to my clients. Sunday is the day to prepare for the week..Do you like to relax and watch tv on Sunday? Well You could prepare the weeks meals on sunday while watching tv.. Cook all your chicken or turkey for the next four days ( left overs are good for only four days), put it into a container then in fridge, Cook your sweet potatoes and put them into containers in the fridge, or use raw vegetables and fat free low sugar dressing with that. Then the night before or the morning of, make your container for the day, of the food you already prepared. You should be eating every three hours so make sure you are making your self more than one container per day. Granola bars are mostly high in sugar, cheese sticks are very high in fat, too many nuts are extremely full of fat.