Question about sugar and fruit?

Options
My daily goal for sugar is 28g a day, however i enjoyed an apple, banana and a satsuma at lunchtime today, these three pieces of fruit amounted to 38g of sugar putting me way over. I would like to eat fruit as I really enjoy it and is a good source of vital vitamins. But how am I ever going to reAch my goal when lovely fruit is ruining it. Do I have to cut food out, surely not?

Amy

Replies

• platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I do watch my sugar (just because), but check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/129445-no-more-tracking-sugar

Good luck on your journey! :-)
  • krisdw
    krisdw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It does the same to me. There are some fruits that are heavier in sugar than others.. I was surprised by banana's, blueberries and apples.

I'm usually 10-20 grams over every day and I'm still losing weight.

I try to keep my sugar as low as possible, but still enjoy two to three fruits a day. If it puts me over, I don't give it too much thought because I know it's fruit.

When I start getting it from other foods, like processed things, then I pay more attention.
  • jamie11k
    Options
    You can adjust the sugar "goal" or just ignore it. Fruit is the right kind of sugar you want in your diet, so keep it up and enjoy every bite. You may want to look into adjusting the other nutrients, like protein, fat, carbs, fiber. Each of us is different and can't count on MFP to know what works best for you and keeps you full. Good luck!
  • bstage
    bstage Posts: 4
    Options
    The sugar in fruit CAN and Will keep you from achieving your goals. You should save the fruit for immediately after your work out. I eat a banana after my work out and even some juice but If I want to watch my weight I watch my sugar, and that includes fruit. Yes fruit is good for you but it needs to be timed right. Nuts are good for you too but if eat them all day long you will pack on the Loads of fat that are in them. Those percentages in food tracker (whatever its called) are set for a reason, though I like to keep my protein a lot higher, they are set for a reason, you shouldn't eat anything that has over 5 grams of sugar in it and that includes spegetti sauce. Sugar definitely will make you fat.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Ok Natrual sugar is ok in moderation. You can adjust your sugar intake. Make sure your eating a lean protien with that fruit so there are no sugar spikes and keeps you full longer. Also i would say go for 2 pieces a day. Remember bananas and apples have more natrual sugar. Not bad. Fruit is not bad. Dont cut it out cut it back to 1-2 pieces a day
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Fruit should be enjoyed more as a dessert and not as a main part of the meal.

The focus should be on eating more veggies and some fruit. We don't eat dessert with every meal and fruit should be in that category.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Why would YOU allow a Calorie Counter to Dictate to YOU what YOU eat. This is a COMPUTER, that is programmed a certain way. It does NOT distinguish between "good" and "bad" Sources of food...BUT WE CAN. SOOOO what if The Computer SAYS You are Over Your Sugar Intake>>>Eat HEALTHY and make Mental Note of WHERE that "Sugar" is coming from or Better yet Make a NOTE on the bottom of the page!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I want to clear up a misconception before people ignore the sugars. The linked article is correct that carb labels account for sugars, starches, and others. HOWEVER, if the label then lists sugars, there is a chance that the reason the sugar is there is because the manufacturer broke out the sugar from the carb calculation. The same goes for complex carbohydrates and some others that usually get grouped.

The frustrating part is that some manufacturers list the carbs and sugars, but the carbs contain the sugar value, but they list the sugar just so you know the sugar amount. This scenario is less frequent. From many seminars, classes, and professionals I have been told to that if it's listed, count it. It's better safe than sorry, and most of the time it's listed because it has been broken out.

Just to explain the marketing aspect....it is important for nutrition foods companies to beef up the carbs in a product in order to show low or no sugars. Why? Because sugar is sugar, no matter how you slice it. Sugar from fruit is handled the same way sugar from candy is. This is why on many non-health foods companies will opt to display both items, because people usually care more about individual items. This is also why on many foods that are designed for low carb, you will tend to see more sugars. Basically, add up sugar, carbs, starches, complex carbs, other sugars (so annoying), non digestive additives (usually never listed), and subtract fiber, and that is your carb intake.

The ultimate rule is watch your carbs, and try to balance out your total carb content with fiber.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use to watch my sugar since I am a diabetic, but no longer. During a class at the V.A., the dietitian told me not to care about sugar, as it was the "Total Carbohydrates" that I had to watch, as sugar was already calculated in it. And that Carbohydrates is what the body processes into sugar anyway.

So she put me on a 210 gram carbohydrate / 1800 cal daily limit.

Also natural sugars are better since the body has to process the foods to get to the sugars where processes sugars are just there and nothing is needed by the body to process it.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I ignore my sugar, but make sure that the majority of sugar that I get is from natural sources, not man made.
    No extra added sugars to my food.
    I eat fruit and go over all the time.
    But that's just me!
    Steph
    :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason why somebody should not eat sugar (in any form) or fruit, eat ya bloody fruit and stop worrying about the sugar amount in the daily count for crying out loud!

Fruit is good for us, it is natural and is digested extremely quickly. All this "do not eat it, it contains sugar" is just about doing my head in now.

Therefore, UNLESS there is a medical reason why you should not eat fruit, eat it and enjoy, it contains numerous vitamins and if the sugar it contains were bad for us, nature would have made it inedible - so take note!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Sugar = belly fat! No matter how you slice it! :sad: :grumble:
    The body still processes it all basically the same.
    It also encourages lovely things like yeast growth and immune deficiency.

Natural sugar from fruit is still sugar, while not as bad as the processed crap.
    My nutritionist's advice is always the same.... have only one piece of fruit a day and avoid fruit juice.

I agree with Grokette......... save fruit for dessert. :flowerforyou: :love:
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I use to watch my sugar since I am a diabetic, but no longer. During a class at the V.A., the dietitian told me not to care about sugar, as it was the "Total Carbohydrates" that I had to watch, as sugar was already calculated in it. And that Carbohydrates is what the body processes into sugar anyway.

Also natural sugars are better since the body has to process the foods to get to the sugars where processes sugars are just there and nothing is needed by the body to process it.

Gold stars to you and ProTFitness for excellent posts!

DO pair a protein with the fruit as it slows the rapid digestion of carbs (sugar = carbs) and keeps the blood sugar more stable. It does indeed increase satiety.

Fruits provide a ton of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and precious antioxidants! You should limit your intake to 2 - 3 servings per day though. Which it seems you are doing. You shouldn't eat them all with one meal though. Space them throughout the day (one with breakfast, one with lunch, and a snack in the late afternoon perhaps) and remember to include protein! Avoid packaged and processed foods as much as you possibly can. :)

I'd also like to add that the best snack to have following a workout is something with protein (greek yogurt, cheese with grapes, protein shake or celery and peanut butter for instance.....all natural PB of course!). Although the muscles will be repairing for awhile there is a short period of rapid recovery just after a workout (usually lasts 20 - 30 minutes) during which protein absorption is strong.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you on your journey! :)
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Gold stars to you and ProTFitness for excellent posts!

DO pair a protein with the fruit as it slows the rapid digestion of carbs (sugar = carbs) and keeps the blood sugar more stable. It does indeed increase satiety.

Fruits provide a ton of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and precious antioxidants! You should limit your intake to 2 - 3 servings per day though. Which it seems you are doing. You shouldn't eat them all with one meal though. Space them throughout the day (one with breakfast, one with lunch, and a snack in the late afternoon perhaps) and remember to include protein! Avoid packaged and processed foods as much as you possibly can. :)

I'd also like to add that the best snack to have following a workout is something with protein (greek yogurt, cheese with grapes, protein shake or celery and peanut butter for instance.....all natural PB of course!). Although the muscles will be repairing for awhile there is a short period of rapid recovery just after a workout (usually lasts 20 - 30 minutes) during which protein absorption is strong.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you on your journey! :)
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i have to agree i too am a diabetic type 2 and i dont watch my sugars unless its processed sugar.. natural sugars as in fruits and veggies get absorbed and burned in your system naturally unlike unprocessed like in pop, cereals , etc.. give up soda all together and youll be even that much better even diet sodas .. good luck but dont give up the fruits
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit CAN and Will keep you from achieving your goals. You should save the fruit for immediately after your work out. I eat a banana after my work out and even some juice but If I want to watch my weight I watch my sugar, and that includes fruit. Yes fruit is good for you but it needs to be timed right. Nuts are good for you too but if eat them all day long you will pack on the Loads of fat that are in them. Those percentages in food tracker (whatever its called) are set for a reason, though I like to keep my protein a lot higher, they are set for a reason, you shouldn't eat anything that has over 5 grams of sugar in it and that includes spegetti sauce. Sugar definitely will make you fat.

I am living proof of this point. For "ME' it made a "HUGE" difference!! 8 months I bounced between only a 6lbs-10lb lost. The past 2 1/2 weeks, I've limited my sugars to 15 (MFP says 24) and I've lost 6lbs and 1 inch off my waist. My next weigh in is 2 days!! 75% of my sugars came from FRUIT. My sugars were between 40-60grams.

I understand berries are good choice to eat if watching sugars.

THOUGH SUGARS IN FRUIT HAVE AFFECTED ME, DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL FOR EVERYONE!
  • swingdanz
    Options
    What you really need to worry about when thinking about any food is where it falls on the glycemic index, how fast a carb will turn to glucose in the body. Fruits are complex carbs and have a lower number on the glycemic index, which is what you want because sugar levels in the body won't spike. So eat your fruit, at your normal intake and think about all the great phytonutrients you getting, instead of worring about the sugar.
  • amyelle
    amyelle Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys. Def some great food for thought!! When I said I had fruit for lunch, it was my dessert. Before Reading these replies I had already made a decision to fit out fruit as snacks and have mor vegetables!!

Wish me luck!! Something has to work!'
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Sugar = belly fat! No matter how you slice it! :sad: :grumble:
    The body still processes it all basically the same.
    It also encourages lovely things like yeast growth and immune deficiency.

Natural sugar from fruit is still sugar, while not as bad as the processed crap.
    My nutritionist's advice is always the same.... have only one piece of fruit a day and avoid fruit juice.

I agree with Grokette......... save fruit for dessert. :flowerforyou: :love:

I cannot agree with the belly fat bit. I eat fruit most days (unless I have run out and not had a chance to buy more) and my belly is as flat as a board now.Regarding immune deficiency, that WILL happen if essential vitamins and minerals are not taken in.

All seems back to front to me