Cooking Challenge: Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the calorie count on these, but this is my absolute favorite muffin recipe. It's on my blog, but it is for a peach muffin recipe that uses vanilla greek yogurt.
    http://lyricsoflaundry.blogspot.com/2010/08/georgia-on-my-mind.html
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Looking forward to posting a recipe for this one. I use Greek yoghurt instead of cream or mayo in a few recipes.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Curry Mint Yogurt Sauce over Chicken and Rice

I got the idea for the yogurt sauce from this website: http://greekfood.about.com/od/syrupssauces/r/currymint.htm. The rest I just threw together in my go-to stir fry with chicken & veggies.

INGREDIENTS:

Sauce:
    - 8 oz Greek Yogurt
    - 4tbsp Curry Powder
    - 1 tbsp Honey
    - 2 tbsp Fresh Mint (chopped)
    - pinch of Cinnamon

Stir Fry:
    - 2 Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breasts (cut into cubes)
    - 2 Servings of Frozen Peppers & Onions
    - 1/2 cup Brown Rice (uncooked)

DIRECTIONS:

1) Cook brown rice to package instructions.
    2) Combine Greek yogurt, curry powder, honey, and fresh mint in a bowl. Mix in a pinch of cinnamon.
    3) Stir Fry frozen veggies to package instructions.
    4) When veggies are warm, add raw chicken pieces and cook until white in the center.
    5) Spoon 2/3 of yogurt sauce over the chicken and veggies as they cook. Stir periodically.
    6) When brown rice is finished, mix in remaining 1/3 of yogurt sauce.

Combine chicken and veggie mix over rice and serve hot.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Calories (386) Carbs (30) Fat (6) Protein (42) Fiber (6)

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:

It was a decent first attempt at cooking with Greek Yogurt - I like the taste of the sauce - but I felt like it was missing something. I think I may have been a little heavy handed with the curry powder, or too skimpy with the mint, but something in the balance was off. Nonetheless, it was really hearty and filling, and had a TON of protein!

PICTURE (optional):

CIMG3917.JPG
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Curry Mint Yogurt Sauce over Chicken and Rice

YUM!! Looks good!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Don't know how it tasted, Stuartme123 but the pic is making me hungry!!

I think I am out for this week's challenge... Don't have any greek yogurt in the house and have no time to experiment in the kitchen with work and everything else. I am making applesauce today, already, to use up some apples we bought at the orchard. Been experimenting with plain yogurt smoothies and shakes this week with my new blender. Here's what I had yesterday - turned out great!

3 ice cubes, crushed
    1/2 banana, frozen in chunks and then crushed
    1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1%
    1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
    4 strawberries
    1 Tbsp peanut butter (natural if you have it)

Turned out delicious! Am going to be buying some whey isolate this weekend to add to the mix and I assume greek yogurt would be a great way to UP the protein for a great after-workout shake! Thanks for the inspiration this week guys. Promise to be back at it with next week's ingredient.
    -Meag
  • dancah18
    Options
    This is great! I have to eat Greek Yogurt for the protein and i'm always looking for new ways to eat it but I haven't had any luck lately! Can you use vanilla greek yogurt as a substitute for any ingredient that you guys know of?
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    This is great! I have to eat Greek Yogurt for the protein and i'm always looking for new ways to eat it but I haven't had any luck lately! Can you use vanilla greek yogurt as a substitute for any ingredient that you guys know of?
    Sour cream in cooking! Add it to any curry or as a sub for plain yogurt in desserts and shakes :)
  • dancah18
    Options
    Sour cream in cooking! Add it to any curry or as a sub for plain yogurt in desserts and shakes :)

Thanks! That's awesome! I'll have to try it!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Just a reminder.. Only ~24 hours left to make something using Greek yogurt! Tomorrow a poll for this challenge will be put up, along with the announcement of next week's challenge.

I'm going to be a little late tomorrow because I'll be gone all day, but when I get home tomorrow evening it will all be taken care of!
  • cread12
    cread12 Posts: 41
    Options
    bump
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I couldn't actually come up with anything for yogurt other than frozen yogurt XD I guess I'll have to sit this one out too!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'm late (like I said I'd be!) but the voting is up for the Greek yogurt challenge!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Judge on:
    - What dish you'd prefer to eat
    - If there was a picture, did it make you want to try the dish
    - What was most innovative
    - And any other criteria you feel are important in determining which dish is the best
    - Please don't vote for your own dish, but you can encourage others to come and vote as well! You can vote whether you participated in the challenge or not.

Go through this post and see what recipe each poll option refers to. The winner will be announced on Wednesday and that winner will get to choose the next challenge ingredient or theme!

AND FYI on the poll it says "Chicken Satay with Chicken Sauce". lol, it should say Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    There's only two votes on the Greek yogurt challenge! Make sure you vote, whether you participated or not.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I wanted to share the recipe I found on my Eat this Not That book. I didn't invent it myself but I wanted to share more recipe ideas using greek yogurt and this one looks and sounds delish.

Chicken Wings

*from Eat This, Not That

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
    1/2 cup Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce (this is a 0 fat sauce)
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup Fage 2% or 0% yogurt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup blue cheese
    Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp white wine vinegar
    16 celery sticks

1. Mix the chicken, hot sauce, cayenne, garlic powder and black pepper.
    2. Marinade fro at least 30 min.
    3. Preheat grill or broiler. Cook chicken for 3-4 min each side until browned.
    4. Combine Yogurt, blue cheese, a few shakes of worcestershire, and vinegar.
    5. Serve the wings with the blue cheese dressing and the celery sticks on the side.

Calories: 260
    Fat 10g
    Sodium 740 mg
    Carbohydrates 5g
    Protein 34g
    Fiber 1g
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    Fage Yogurt with Strawberries is to die for!!! Here is one:

Sugar free angel food cake [1/5] [100 calories - I usually eat half of this size though]
    cut in three triangle pieces, then place two tablespoons of greek yogurt on the center of where they form a circle - Fage Greek Yogurt [70 calories - plain]
    1/4 cup sliced strawberries [don't rememer the calories on these]
    sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon truvia

Yummy - amazing dessert!
  • gracieb1
    gracieb1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what is red pepper spread?
  • fitnwhole
    fitnwhole Posts: 227
    Options
    I make yogurt using the slow cooker. Tastes great and it is very easy to make.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    what is red pepper spread?

I found it in the pasta/pasta sauces section. I was looking for diced roasted red peppers which can be used instead but found that and decided to try it. It really adds a nice flavor to all sorts of things.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Please get your final votes in! The poll closes tomorrow!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    stuartme123 has won the contest, making the best dish using Greek yogurt!! Congratulations!!