Working out while sore ?

Options
Should there be a difference between "okay, uh, OW!" "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tender" and "CAN SOMEONE DRAG ME TO THE BATHROOM ?"

In terms of working out.

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Nope, not really. I mean unless you are talking about the difference between seriously being injured vs DOMS. If you have severe DOMS after a new workout, maybe you pushed too hard, you will be fine. Often it helps recovery to do a little active recovery. Or a hot bath in Epsom salts (which I'm about to do right now lol) Drink lots of water, pop some ibuprofen if possible and all will be well sooner rather than later :smile:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    If you are talking lifting weights, and have never done it.......
    Then hit the gym hard on day one....you are gonna be sore.

I am still sore after all my workouts....

If I have skipped legs for a couple weeks and then decide to do them, I am usually paying for it, for the next 4 days at least.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yea I just started squatting this past week after a long break and the top of my thighs are killing me and makes it really hard to do them and I haven't even added weights into it yet ;-;
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Try using an exercise recovery drink. For me, I use one and it helps ALOT. Never thought it would. Yesterday, I've sprained my right hip/lower back/buttock from figure skating. Landed too many jumps and too many camel spins, will throw a hip out in a heartbeat. Came home and drank my drink (Endurox) and the pain is 60% less. Also, Epson salt baths work wonders too. Try that! And, exercise/massage rollers. Warming up before exercise and cooling down afterwards. Do you stretch enough? Lastly, an over the counter pain medicine (Advil, Naproxin) help too. Ice works great, but sometimes, I want heat. I know it's a no-no, but a good old fashioned heating pad works great for me.

There's a difference between sore and being unable to do something because of a bad injury. Listen to your body. Can you do your exercise at less intensity? Is there an alternative? Can you swim for a few weeks? How about walking? If the pain lasts for too long, then you need to see a doctor. Personally, I don't let any "siti on the couch bearable" pain last for more then 2 weeks. That's my "get to the doctor" timeframe. Screaming pain, then it's straight to the doctor.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Most experts say if you're sore the next day, that's normal. But if you're sore 2 days later, then you're pushing it too much & headed for an injury.
  • brizice
    brizice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most experts say if you're sore the next day, that's normal. But if you're sore 2 days later, then you're pushing it too much & headed for an injury.

Hmmm, not sure I agree with you. I'm generally sorest on my second day...DOMS.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If I'm really, really sore I won't lift. This actually happened to me this week-I did my first Crossfit WOD Weds, was VERY sore & I finally felt okay to lift today.

Another option is to lift but go low weight/high rep. By doing so you'll force blood (w/oxygen & nutrients) into the muscles which actually is very helpful for DOMS.