What Keeps You Motivated?!?

Options
It feels like throughout my life, I have been on SOME type of diet, fighting weight issues. If it's not the Adkins diet, it's counting calories; or a low fat diet, or a starving myself/crash diet. You get the point?!?
And for some reason, it seems like I always start my diet on a Monday. I AM SOOOO TIREEDDDDD of having to start all over every week.
At the beginning of 2010, I was so motivated; I lost 20lbs in three months. Now, I'm 40lbs heavier. I went from 205 to 245. WHAT THE HEC IS MY PROBLEM?!?!?! UGHHH
I started fresh yesterday and had a good workout yesterday and today. I'm NOW motivated to lose weight, but the past shows that “my high to workout” won't last long. So after spilling my guts to my fitness pals,
WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED?
I love running, so any runners out there, what is your secret staying motivated.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Well.. I made an oath to my gods to gain physical strength... It'd be tough to break that one.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    it is really a mind set thing and different things work for different people. I give myself little rewards for every 20 lbs but you could also give yourself little rewards for doing your workouts for 2 weeks straight. I also come on here daily, get fitness mags in the mail, have a dress that is several sizes too small hanging in my bedroom as a reminder of where I want to be, if I am really craving something I tell myself you can have it after you do a really good workout for x mins. Try to find what works for you
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Some days it is a struggle more than others . . . those are the days I rely on some extra support, such as my MFP friends. I also have a few signs posted that I love, that also help me stay motivated.

I create myself with the choices I make each day. (Bob Greene)

I love this one because it reminds me that every small choice I make will matter, every nibble, every set of stairs, every little thing I do will either get me to my goal, or hamper my progress and motivation. I have this sign posted on my closet door so when I swing my legs around and sit up on the edge of my bed every morning this sign is right level with my face and the first thing I see each day. There is also a copy of this on my fridge and my monitor at work.

Nothing tastes as good as SLIM feels.

This one has gone around for years but it is SO true. Everytime I want a bigger portion, or something unhealthy I remind myself that slim and healthy will feel WAY better than the moment of satisfaction. This sign is also on my fridge and I have it posted on my 2nd monitor at work (I have 2 of them, so just enough space for both of my motivational phrases).

We have bowls full of the mini chocolate bars here at work, and have for about 2 weeks already now. Im quite happy to report that I haven't touched a single one of them . . . because nothing, and I mean nothing tastes as good as I am feeling.

I NEVER want to go back to where I was and am looking forward to losing the remaining 30 pounds to get to my goal. In fact, now that have avoided my temptations for a while the few times I've succumbed to them the actual memory is far better than the reality.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    seeing a closet full of clothes I'd like to wear.

the compliments i get from friends and my especially my boyfriend :blushing: :heart:
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in a slump at the moment as far as motivation goes; I think it has to do with this darn plateau I'm on. But when I'm figuring out what I want to eat, I think about how many calories it is and how long it will take on the treadmill to burn it off. :)
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I look forward to seeing what the scale says that I weight every morning. I weight myself every morning, it keeps me motivated. I also have a big chart hanging up that shows my weight loss. Every time I think about going to that extra helping, I look at the chart.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Above all else, I make my fitness my number one priority. This doesn't sit well with many people, but it is what I have to do for me. I have little to nothing to give to others if I don't take care of myself first. When housework, bills, scheduling, family, etc, etc, etc, comes up, it's RARELY at the expensive of my fitness routine. When I'm too tired to workout, then I reevaluate my life and something else has to give, never my health.

This is the reason I've been able to stay pretty consistent for over 2 yrs now. You are your best motivation. Good luck. :)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    *expense lol
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    It feels like throughout my life, I have been on SOME type of diet, fighting weight issues. If it's not the Adkins diet, it's counting calories; or a low fat diet, or a starving myself/crash diet. You get the point?!?
    And for some reason, it seems like I always start my diet on a Monday. I AM SOOOO TIREEDDDDD of having to start all over every week.
    At the beginning of 2010, I was so motivated; I lost 20lbs in three months. Now, I'm 40lbs heavier. I went from 205 to 245. WHAT THE HEC IS MY PROBLEM?!?!?! UGHHH
    I started fresh yesterday and had a good workout yesterday and today. I'm NOW motivated to lose weight, but the past shows that “my high to workout” won't last long. So after spilling my guts to my fitness pals,
    WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED?
    I love running, so any runners out there, what is your secret staying motivated.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Hi, I run and my motivation to lose weight and my 100% intention to keep it off when I reach my goal in 5lbs time is

1 I love running and now that I am virtually at my goal weight, it is all so much easier and I can run for longer and faster than I have ever done before.

2 To be able to wear my crop tops without an overspill of fat at the waistband and to be able to fit into my UK size 10 jeans is an incredible feeling. Good grief, I have even just bought a purple lycra mini dress and do you know what - I love it, I can wear it, I do not look like a hippo in it - that is enough motivation in itself!

To the OP, you love running, use that as your motivation because it is a cast iron certainty that you will be able to run further and faster if you are lighter, why not lose the weight to see just how good a runner you could be?

Add me as a friend if you want, it would be lovely to exchange ideas and keep each other motivated and encourage.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    It's so cheesy but this little mantra gets me out of bed in the morning to get my *kitten* to the gym and even gets me to run/cycle an extra mile when I want to pass out. I just say to myself "Today you will be a rock star, today you will be hardcore, today you will commit to fitness". Once I am done, I get to say "Today you were a rock star etc...". Like i said, it's cheesy, but it works every time!

For runners, I highly recommend the book What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. This book is the reason why I bought my first running shoes!
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    I did the same exact thing my week old diets! But this time it has lasted longer.. Why I dont know for sure but I think its because I got my mind in to it, when I think about cheating or eating fast food I just imagine what I WANT to look like and it takes my hunger and cravings away.. A little weird right? But also there is when I see other ppl that are overweight and see how sad and all covered up they are makes my will even stronger!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I learned to love running too. I think the thing that is keeping me motivated right now is I'm breaking up my goals into 30 day segments. I said to myself, for every day I do what I set out to do exercise and food-wise, I will give myself 5 dollars. At the end of 30 days, I'm going to buy a new outfit.

I also tell myself - a month flies by. I'm impatient and I want to see results right away, but there's no doubt in my mind I will see some kind of results after a month. I look back to July and think - WOW, July, August, September and October flew by! That motivates me to think one month isn't that long at all.

L.