Weight lifting and Butt creating exercises.

When it comes to arms, what will give me the quickest results if there is such a thing (toning and gaining muscle, not trying to be big just trying to gain muscle but still look approachable lol) . If I see results I stay motivated to keep with it.

AND

I have a birth defect with my knees which often makes even walking very painful but I've managed this far but I really want a butt. I'm flat as a pancake sadly right now. I want to lunges and squats but its too painful to do them and its only making my condition worse. What are other exercises I can do to create a butt. Also if I'm flat as can be now will doing a bunch of butt exercises even create a butt? Or just make my flatness firm?

I am 100% dead serious on these questions. I'm still fairly new to fitness and becoming healthy. I've lost a great deal of weight and now I want some muscle and toning to show for it.

Replies

• MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Are you sure you are using correct form with squats and lunges? these exercises should not bother your knees if done properly. I don't have much other advice considering I don't know what your specific issue is, but perhaps you could meet with both a Dr and a trainer to be able to safely and effectively meet your goals?
  • dstrugg
    dstrugg Posts: 4 Member
    how does kneeling on your knees feel? on applying pressure on one knee? fire hydrants are a good exercise but you have to apply direct pressure to the knee. and if bending is hard you can do backwards leg lifts, so your lifting your leg as high as you can but backwards. You can also use a chair or a wall for support for squats or do wall sits where your back is being supported. i'm sure their are some chair supported exercises i'm not too aware of that might be good too.
  • BrookieTrout626
    BrookieTrout626 Posts: 89 Member
    well when my knees bend they hurt. So repetitive motions such as lunges cause a great deal of pain. I have seen an orthopedic and short of surgery there isn't anything I can really do. I assume I am doing them properly being that I've had a professional help previously.
  • otakitty
    otakitty Posts: 2 Member
    I did the Brazil Butt Lift series for a while and there was a noticeable lift to my buttocks. It involves plently of leg lifts.
    Like the previous poster said check your squatting form, proper squats should even help relief the pain.

Also kettlebell swings and the stepper machine (it's like a never ending escalator). As long as you are actively contracting and activating your glutes when you do exercises, it should make a difference/
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    if you're able to do the exercises and eating at a surplus to build muscle, yes, you can build a round butt.
    the problem would be being able to do the exercises. without squats and lunges and similar movements, you're really limiting your butt-building ability. are you able to do stairs/climbing motions? if so, switch out your elliptical/rowing/running for the stair climbing. if you run/walk, do it at a high incline. cycle on a high resistance.
    you can do step ups with weights- just get a high box and some heavy-ish weights and step up onto the box one foot at a time. switch sides each time you climb up.
    you can also do weighted glute bridges, where you lay on your back, knees bent and feet on the floor with a barbell on your hips. squeeze your butt and bring your body into a straight line, keeping your shoulders on the ground.
    you can also try donkey kicks if your gym has the machine. you put your foot on a large area, and press it straight back. if your gym doesn't have one, you can get some ankle weights and do it on all four.
    you can do leg lifts (to the back) with ankle weights.
    without squats, lunges, and bulgarian split squats, though, that's really all i can think of.
    good luck and welcome to the attempt to create a butt from nothing!
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Leg lifts in a plank position and straight leg deadlifts. Also google resistance band glute exercises and see if there is anything there. I am thinking a band around your thigh and another stationary object that allows you leg tension while in a standing position with no knee bending.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Building muscle requires four things: a caloric surplus, protein, a training stimulus and recovery time. So eat a lot of food, make sure you hit 1g of protein per pound of body weight, lift heavy things and get enough sleep.

As for butt exercises (besides squats), RDL's/SLDL's absolutely KILL my *kitten* and hamstrings and they're not too bad on the knees. Google "romanian deadlift" and "straight legged deadlift" for info on how to do them properly.
  • Women who lift heavy never get big and bulky, those women you see in magazines who almost look masculine are using steroids and other illegal substances to get that huge. If you're natural and lift heavy you won't get big unless you are eating at a caloric surplus and even then it takes years to get good quality muscle :)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Women who lift heavy never get big and bulky, those women you see in magazines who almost look masculine are using steroids and other illegal substances to get that huge. If you're natural and lift heavy you won't get big unless you are eating at a caloric surplus and even then it takes years to get good quality muscle :)

that wasn't even her question, but nice try anyway.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    look up bret Contreras, lots of exercises that may work for you.