TDEE or MFP Calorie Allowance?

Options
I'm just getting started on this site. Here is a little of my background. I am 5'5", currently weigh 145lbs and hoping to lose 20lbs. I just started doing the P90X program and have finished 1 week. I haven't been tracking my calories, but am going to start doing that consistently starting tomorrow. I used the Scooby calculator to figure out my daily caloric needs and these are the results I got.
BMR- 1457
TDEE- 2259
TDEE - 20% -1807

1807 does seem like a lot to me considering MFP only gave me 1390 calories per day. Just wondering if you have any input to which method I should use. I don't have a heart rate monitor to provide an accurate calorie burn.

Replies

• AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What activity level did you put in for MFP? Sedentary will be less than lightly active, etc. Also if you have set it up to lose 2lbs a week it might put you at such a low intake. Remember though, MFP is built around the idea of eating back your exercise calories. So you would NET under 1400 but you could be eating 300-500 during a day more than that depending on your activities/exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

1807 does seem like a lot to me considering MFP only gave me 1390 calories per day.n.

MFP gave you 1390 PLUS exercise calories - once you add in those calories you might not be too far from the 1807.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    1) find out how much your body needs to survive.
    2) then look at how much you exercise. P90X will burn around 500 cals roughly per session???
    3) add that to your no.1.
    4) thats how much energy ur expending
    5) to lose 1lb of fat in a week, aim for a 500 calorie deficit daily.
    6) make sure you sleep well and recover appropriately.

ps- at 145, losing 20 lbs would put you to 125...i shudder to think what your BMR would be at that low a weight. eating a burger would take up a huge chunk of your daily calories....but its your goals and your happiness.

my 2 cents: don't aim to lose weight aim to lose fat and gain muscle. muscle=more metabolically active tissue. therefore you look better and you get to eat more.