Do you HAVE to lift super heavy to gain muscle

Options
I am on a mission to gain back some weight (about 2kg under goal weight) and would prefer this to be muscle. I have lost muscle mass due to a combination of things including illness and for my swimming as well as aesthetics I want it back!!

Do I need to do HEAVY lifting ie the 4-6 rep range to achieve this or will higher rep ranges suffice. I have particularly lost shape and size on the shoulders and that is not desirable for a swimmer!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No, higher rep range will suffice.
  • Fatman_Fitness
    Options
    To gain muscle you need to be eating at a caloric surplus. I'd recommend no more than 20% above your TDEE (maintenance calories). You also need to be eating .8 (at a minimum) to 1 pound per lean body mass (not bodyweight) of protein. The 4-6 range is a hybrid range that focuses on strength and hypertrophy. 1-3 reps is mainly strength and 6+ is mainly hypertrophy. Personally, you will gain muscle mass on either rep range as long as your diet is in check. Personally, I'd recommend a beginning 5x5 program for anyone whose a beginner weight lifter.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    a rep range of 8 - 12 will still work but the best thing is to make sure you progress (ie as each weight gets easy, move up to the next weight level).

As you know, your body will adapt to each weight and you have to keep challenging the muscle in order to stimulate growth.

But, i've said this before, there is no way the you will gain 2kg of pure lean mass without a little fat along the way.
    I am currently gaining as well.

you have to be realistic. having unrealistic expectations is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Plus you need to be eating in a caloric surplus or it won't happen.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would take a look at this chart:

http://commonstrength.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/ripptoerepchart1.png

"In the bodybuilding and fitness community and even in some academic books skeletal muscle hypertrophy is described as being in one of two types: Sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar. According to this hypothesis, during sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, the volume of sarcoplasmic fluid in the muscle cell increases with no accompanying increase in muscular strength, whereas during myofibrillar hypertrophy, actin and myosin contractile proteins increase in number and add to muscular strength as well as a small increase in the size of the muscle. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is greater in the muscles of bodybuilders while myofibrillar hypertrophy is more dominant in Olympic weightlifters.[15] These two forms of adaptations rarely occur completely independently of one another; one can experience a large increase in fluid with a slight increase in proteins, a large increase in proteins with a small increase in fluid, or a relatively balanced combination of the two."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    please define what you mean by a higher rep range
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have found that lifting heavy has made my strength increase much faster than I imagined it would. It is a pretty cool feeling when you pick something that used to be extremely heavy, and now it is no problem!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    An 8 - 12 rep range is more appropriate to size gains. I would however recommend also incorporating some compound lifts in the lower rep range also (unless you are new to lifting - then stick with the 8 - 12 for a while).
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I train each muscle group twice a week. Once heavy in the lower rep range, and the second time lighter in the higher rep range.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    May I ask if there is a specific reason you want to avoid lifting heavier weight?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I would say 8-12 reps is more beneficial for muscle gains tbh. That's the range that bodybuilders usually use. As long as the last couple of reps are a struggle (with good form still), and it doesn't feel easy. Not to say you're one of them, but so many women I see lift in the range they get given (usually from a program) and yet it looks like they're not struggling one bit! To progress in anything, size or strength you need to push yourself :)

Secondly, to gain muscle you ideally need a calorie surplus. If you're new to lifting you could probably get away with maintenance or small deficit depending on other goals and gain a little bit of muscle, but after a short while you'll need to eat more if you want to continue this.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think so - I'm on week two of You are your own gym 10 week program - which uses no weights other than your body - and I'm starting to see tiny changes in my arms.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No you don't.

What is important however is that the final couple of reps, no matter the rep range used up, must be challenging to perform with good form.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    No you don't.

What is important however is that the final couple of reps, no matter the rep range used up, must be challenging to perform with good form.
    Why would you think you would gain muscle lifting 3 pounds 100 times as long as the final couple of reps are challenging to perform with good form? That's just silly. That would increase muscular endurance for lifting 3 pounds a butt-ton of times. It's not going to stimulate the muscles to get bigger. The optimum for that goal (hypertrophy) is generally accepted to be 8-12 reps, at a weight where the last few are challenging. (For completeness, the other end of the spectrum from endurance, the strength end, is generally accepted to be 3-5 reps. Which happens to be my personal favorite.:wink: )
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No you don't.

Why would you think you would gain muscle lifting 3 pounds 100 times as long as the final couple of reps are challenging to perform with good form? That's just silly. That would increase muscular endurance for lifting 3 pounds a butt-ton of times. It's not going to stimulate the muscles to get bigger. The optimum for that goal (hypertrophy) is generally accepted to be 8-12 reps, at a weight where the last few are challenging. (For completeness, the other end of the spectrum from endurance, the strength end, is generally accepted to be 3-5 reps. Which happens to be my personal favorite.:wink: )

Apologies. I should have clarified that what I meant is within what would be considered a high rep range ie 15-20.

It is often stated you can't see any or much muscle growth working within that range but that is clearly incorrect.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Everyone will respond differently, some people respond better to higher reps(10-20) and people like me respond best to lower reps(1-8 range).
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I found this article from Brad Shoenfeld informative. A lot of the newest programs are based around periodize training where rep ranges vary week to week or are combined with low and higher rep ranges per workout.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/light-weights-for-big-gains/print
    Multiple Rep Ranges Means Maximal Stimulation

For those who want to maximize their hypertrophic potential, it makes sense to train across the continuum of repetition ranges. While there may be validity to focusing on the so-called "hypertrophy range" (6-12 reps), both high (15-20+) and low (1-5) repetition ranges should also be incorporated into your training program.

Not only does such an approach ensure full stimulation of the spectrum of muscle fibers, but it also serves as preparatory work for optimizing performance in the hypertrophy range. Low rep work enhances neuromuscular adaptations necessary for the development of maximal strength so that heavier loads (and thereby greater mechanical tension) can be used at moderate training intensities.

Conversely, performance of higher-rep sets help over time to raise lactate threshold, staving off the onset of fatigue and thus increasing time-under-tension during moderate-rep training.

There are infinite ways in which varied intensities can be integrated into program design. Perhaps the best way to ensure continued progress is by periodizing training rep ranges over time. Both linear and non-linear models are viable alternatives here. It really comes down to personal preference as well as individual goals (i.e., whether you're looking to peak for a specific event).

Another option is to base loading strategies on the type of exercise performed. You might decide to focus on low to moderate-reps (~1-10) for multi-joint movements such as squats, rows, and presses while prioritizing higher rep training (15+) for single-joint, isolation type exercises that may be better suited to lighter training loads.

There are no hard-and-fast rules here. The response to training varies by the individual and ultimately you need to experiment with different approaches and find out what works best.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Stick to the basics: compound movements, 8-12 reps for 4-6 sets for exercises, as much weight as you can handle to finish each set (usually between 75%-85% of 1RM).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition