Rest days

So I've found myself in a very peculiar situation. I have gone from someone who NEVER exercised a year ago to someone who is exercising a whole lot. I'm in the middle of the "Get Running" program, which is 3 days per week. I swim for 45 minutes 2-3 times per week, and try to fit in a long walk or hike on my weekends. I'm actually struggling mentally with the idea of leaving one day as purely a rest day. Anyone else struggle with this? Is it OK to exercise 7 days/week if one or two days are just light exercise? I actually feel great that I have gotten this far that I actually crave exercise, but I don't want to create an injury situation by overdoing it either.

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    i sometimes force a rest day, but typically, life forces my 1-2 rest days each week (busy schedule, last minute things that pop up, etc).

rest days are good for you- but just listen to your body. if you are truly sore or just need the mental or physical break- take it, because theres no point in injuring yourself or having a half a$$ed workout.

but if you feel fine doing light exercise or a long walk on rest days- go for it. :)
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    yep, I'm the same. Rest days for me are "forced" because I know I should....I do a long hike on weekends, just came back from 3 days in the mountains, was amazing and averaged 9 hours hiking each day. Although I don't even feel tired or sore, I decided not to do any exercise today - and it's killing me! I feel ready to climb the walls!
    I think (and this is my opinion, I'm a psychologist, not an exercise physiologist) it doesn't hurt to have a "less intense day" if you really want to exercise instead of a complete rest day.

It IS nice to be full of energy and happy to move though, isn't it?
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    It is so nice! Such an amazing change of perspective. I used to crave days off spent cuddled up on my couch or in bed. Now each week I'm seeking out fun active things to do. I'm really enjoying life.
  • It's almost more important what you do on your off days than it is when you exercise. The reason is, you can put in the work and have it all be for nothing if you don't get enough rest and your diet isn't in check. Your muscles need to have days for recuperation. I wouldn't see how on your off days that if you did LOW intensity cardio or workouts it shouldn't affect your recovery.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    I really struggle with rest days, and given that I have an intense ashtanga yoga practice 6 days a week and do on average 4 runs and possibly a bit of rockclimbing you can probably tell that I am somebody who should give their body a break every now and again. I typically work out two times a day...

Had a full on rest day yesterday which was the first in about 2 months, primarily because I have been stressed out lately and running is my primary coping mechanism. Resting is good for you. Depending on what your schedule active rest like walking or gentle swimming might be fine. Your body will let you know if it disagrees.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Sounds like you re all or nothing people and your effortss are likely to continue until the nothing kicks in.

Rest is essential and the sensible ones take it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I don't have a problem taking a rest day when they happen naturally with life's events. However, this week I had to take one on my own. I think a casual stroll or light yoga might be appropriate if you really want the activity fix. It feels weird to have to force myself to take time off.