HELP with earbuds and running

Options
I'm trying to find a good pair of wireless earbuds for running. I'm tired of getting tangled in a cord while running. I've tried researching the net but still find that I can't make a informed decision. Can I get some suggestions on what you use and why it works for you? I would really really appreciate it.

Replies

• SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My earbuds kept falling out, so I just changed over to the ones that hook around your ear. I usually run the cord through my shirt so that it's not bouncing all over the place.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    polk earbuds are so far the only ones to EVER stay in my ear (they have the piece that wraps around the back on your ear- and they stay in perfectly. the wire can be as long or short as you want it- so it wont tangle easily)
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't use wireless earbuds, but I can heartily recommend iFrogz from Earpollution. They have the little cushion on the bud in 3 different sizes so become a snug fit. I have also found that they hold up to sweat really well, not always a given!

Cord goes under your shirt and if you're wearing a sports bra or HRM strap under that as well to keep it in place. It also helps if you run the chord down your back instead as it keep the parts of the wires just under your ear back instead of forward so you don't notice them around your face so much.

Happy running!
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am currently shopping on amazon for a pair. Can't make up my mind either!
  • pmontoto
    pmontoto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    so do you all use your iphones? I find that if I run the cord under my shirt, it's too short.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    so do you all use your iphones? I find that if I run the cord under my shirt, it's too short.

I use my iPod, but hate the earbuds that come standard. I have always bought my own and threaded the cord through my HRM strap and sports bra.

ETA: If I'm outdoors and using my arm band, I'll wrap up the extra bit of cord, tuck it into the sleeve of the band, and run the cord up my sleeve and through my sports bra. Works wonders!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I bought the Sennheiser PMX 685i SPORTS adidas In-Ear Neckband Headset (Black) to connect to my iPod nano. Like others I run the cord under my shirt. Work fine, and I can listen to the radio as an alternative to music. Who is John Tesh anyway?
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I just have a $20 pair that go in the ear and then around the back of it, they work great. I wear a cotton bra and then a sports bra over it and just shove my phone in between the two lol
    The cord does get in the way sometimes but I'd rather deal with that for a second than spend a huge amount on a pair of headphones, I'm cheap.
  • 2_blackdogs
    2_blackdogs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't stand earbuds...for some reason they always either hurt my ears or fall out. I switched to the chunky over the ear headphones and I love them...I think my current pair are skullcandy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have Blue Jay wireless (bluetooth) buds. They came with hooks for running, but I've never needed to use them. They stay in great, and no more cord tangles.
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have found my cord is too short to wear under my shirt as well, I typically put my phone in an armband then wrap the cord around my back and loop each ear cord under my sports bra straps to keep the cord behind me. I also use yurbuds, I have small ears and they are the only ones I can workout with and not have them pop out or give me a major headache :)
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Shure SE315s stay in my ears when I work out. I run the cable under my compression shirt and HRM strap, which holds them in place perfectly. :-)
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I hate the quality degradation of bluetooth earbuds in the ones that I've tried, so I reverted back to the Sennheiser CX685 earbuds - they have little hooks that keep them stable in my ears and they never move. The cord is a little long for me to connect to my Sansa Clip, so I wrapped it up in a small rubberband and clip it to my collar. I like the idea of running it under my shirt/sport bra though, I never thought of that. :D

The sound quality is beyond amazing, and my last pair of Sennheisers lasted me 3 1/2 years. Worth every penny.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I hate the quality degradation of bluetooth earbuds in the ones that I've tried, so I reverted back to the Sennheiser CX685 earbuds - they have little hooks that keep them stable in my ears and they never move. The cord is a little long for me to connect to my Sansa Clip, so I wrapped it up in a small rubberband and clip it to my collar. I like the idea of running it under my shirt/sport bra though, I never thought of that. :D

The sound quality is beyond amazing, and my last pair of Sennheisers lasted me 3 1/2 years. Worth every penny.
    I do agree about the sound degradation. I mostly listen to novels so it's not a huge deal for me.
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but I thought it was a cool idea - zipper cord earbuds. You can zip up the earbuds so there's not such a huge gap just waiting to tangle you up. I think I saw them a few months ago at Walgreens. Not sure about sound quality or how effective it would be, but seems interesting and logical.

http://www.geekalerts.com/zipbuds-zipper-earbuds/
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have Jaybirds, and they're AWESOME. They have ear cushions unlike anything I've ever seen (they're shaped like a yin to a yang), last for a few hours, and have excellent sound quality. I've tried lots because it was difficult keeping my buds in my ears and I can't stand the ones that wrap around my ears, and these were the perfect solution. They're also super comfortable to wear.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have Jaybirds, and they're AWESOME. They have ear cushions unlike anything I've ever seen (they're shaped like a yin to a yang), last for a few hours, and have excellent sound quality. I've tried lots because it was difficult keeping my buds in my ears and I can't stand the ones that wrap around my ears, and these were the perfect solution. They're also super comfortable to wear.
    Great description of the yin to a yang lol. I don't even use that part and they stay in great.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Motorola MOTOROKR S305 user here.
    They're over-the-ear. They get sweaty, but they don't hurt my ears like pretty much all in-ear ones do. Plus if I turn them down a bit, I can hear what's going on around me - important for urban settings in my book. They sound good - not suited to a hardcore audiophile, but c'mon, you're just running. And they're cheap, so I don't worry about how I handle them.

Also, the freedom of wireless is SO freaking worth it.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I prefer the hooked ones, I just can't find any comfortable buds. I've had great luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJTR82/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1