Diet Soda Anyone?

Options
Sooo...diet soda is a no in your diet? Or is it ok since it has no calories? It has no nutritional value. Do you guys drink it?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. There have been lots of studies over the decades to prove it's not dangerous so for zero calories almost then why not?
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    Good Question!! I hope you get some really good responses to this question!! Can't wait to check back!! :flowerforyou:
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    there will be MFPers who say its poison, and others who think its fine as long as its not all you are drinking.

i love a can or two of coke zero/cherry coke zero almost every day. i drink plenty of water, but i enjoy my diet sodas too (i pretty much only drink water, diet soda, coffee and wine :-) )
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It does not have NO calories. It does have at least 1, only plain water with nothing added is 0 cals.

Having said that.... I drink it all the time
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Everyday. I love my diet Pepsi.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would die without Diet Dr Pepper - I'm sure of it. It just makes life better.
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is the only one I like and I drink about 2 cans a day. It helps with the diet but I plan to stop drinking it eventually and stick with more natural stuff.
  • robinsondel
    Options
    I've only been doing this eating/exercise lifestyle change a few weeks, but I drink the hell out of diet Dr. Pepper. Of course my co-workers are always telling me it's bad and make me gain weight. I tried to explain to them that, for a lot of people, it makes them crave sweets and the extra sweets make them gain weight. I've drank it off and on for a year or so, and 3 weeks ago, I cut out all sweets, it hasn't made me want them. I don't know how much I weigh, or how much weight I've lost, because I'm still too heavy for the gym scale to weigh me, but I can tell you that I've had to add 3 holes in my belt in the past 3 weeks and I'm drinking about 2 liters a day of the stuff.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but there's quite literally a new thread on this every single day. Really. You could scroll down and probably see the topic on this very same page without even clicking next. That's how often it's asked.

But I'll answer anyway cause I'm cool like that! I drink diet pop every single day. Should I put that in caps? EVERY SINGLE DAY! And it hasn't halted or slowed my weight loss at all. But then, of coarse it wouldn't. It has zero calories. Why would it? Some people say drinking diet pop makes them have cravings but I haven't gotten that at all. The opposite is true for me actually. When I feel like eating and I don't have room in my calories for it, I'll get a big glass of iced Pepsi maxx and just sit and enjoy it. It takes my mind off how hungry I am because I like the taste of it so much.
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with ReadytoRock. I'm certain I'd die of heartache if couldn't have diet Dr.pepper ... It hasn't affected my weight loss
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think I'm mid ground on this.. I don't think it's good to drink it everyday but at the same time I wouldn't go as far as saying it's poison. It does us no good for sure but if I'm craving something sweet I will have a coke zero. However I wouldn't drink it on everyday basis. Once in a while, in moderation it's okay
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Not for me, thanks. I've never drunk a lot of soda and I agree that they're about as calorie free as makes no difference but I have a really sweet tooth, a can of Coke Zero just makes me crave other sweet stuff. Water, black coffee and tea don't do this so, for the time being, the fizzy drinks are off my menu. Other people won't have the same tendancies (or they're a bit more self controlled!) so
    I'm sure they'll be able to drink them with no problems.

(Edited to make sense!)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I drink it but not so much now. Since my body is tuning up and I can actually feel the affects of different things for me I've noticed that sometimes (not sure what the difference is) I feel a little crap afterwards. My heart rate increases and my head feels a little ache. I am a caffeine addict so I know that its not just caffeine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Sooo...diet soda is a no in your diet? Or is it ok since it has no calories? It has no nutritional value. Do you guys drink it?
    Daily. Usually 2. And have been for over 30 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't. Never been a fan of the "diet" soda since it just tastes metallic and funky to me but it's a person to person thing. If you do and enjoy it then not my place to tell you it's wrong. I've got seltzer and other low-cal stuff like crystal light that I drink vs diet soda but generally it's water or coffee with *gasp* real sugar (1 tsp) since splenda is a migraine trigger for me.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Two a day, every day. I love coke zero.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you don't drink it a lot, it's fine, but ehhhhhhhhhhh. Diet soda is still not very good for you. It may have no calories, but it still has a lot of harmful crap in there. I'm no expert, but a quick google search will you give you some idea!
  • kit_liu
    kit_liu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Never drank it or plan to start. I drink water, green tea or coffee (with *shock* 1 tsp real sugar*). Got the idea that diet drinks were bad for me as it contained a lot of chemicals, forgot where I got the advice from but I stuck with it. But then, my diet is only in it's 2nd week.
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    I've only been doing this eating/exercise lifestyle change a few weeks, but I drink the hell out of diet Dr. Pepper. Of course my co-workers are always telling me it's bad and make me gain weight. I tried to explain to them that, for a lot of people, it makes them crave sweets and the extra sweets make them gain weight. I've drank it off and on for a year or so, and 3 weeks ago, I cut out all sweets, it hasn't made me want them. I don't know how much I weigh, or how much weight I've lost, because I'm still too heavy for the gym scale to weigh me, but I can tell you that I've had to add 3 holes in my belt in the past 3 weeks and I'm drinking about 2 liters a day of the stuff.

yea, see, all those rumors you've just listed there are what I'm afraid of. But if you've added three belt holes, I mean, who could argue with that. Bravo! I still am questionable though lol
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    Never drank it or plan to start. I drink water, green tea or coffee (with *shock* 1 tsp real sugar*). Got the idea that diet drinks were bad for me as it contained a lot of chemicals, forgot where I got the advice from but I stuck with it. But then, my diet is only in it's 2nd week.
    For now that's all I drink too. But I love soda! You've never drank it? Wow. How did u resist?