Diet Soda Anyone?

Replies

• If you don't drink it a lot, it's fine, but ehhhhhhhhhhh. Diet soda is still not very good for you. It may have no calories, but it still has a lot of harmful crap in there. I'm no expert, but a quick google search will you give you some idea!

yea that's what I'm worried about haha.
  • I don't. Never been a fan of the "diet" soda since it just tastes metallic and funky to me but it's a person to person thing. If you do and enjoy it then not my place to tell you it's wrong. I've got seltzer and other low-cal stuff like crystal light that I drink vs diet soda but generally it's water or coffee with *gasp* real sugar (1 tsp) since splenda is a migraine trigger for me.
    Hmmm...thats interesting. The seltzer thing is a great idea actually. I should try it...and splenda doesn't taste good to me. Is it just me? I just dislike it. It tastes fake.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I think I'm mid ground on this.. I don't think it's good to drink it everyday but at the same time I wouldn't go as far as saying it's poison. It does us no good for sure but if I'm craving something sweet I will have a coke zero. However I wouldn't drink it on everyday basis. Once in a while, in moderation it's okay

I'm with this - an occasional treat, don't drink it every day. Your teeth are affected by the acid, even if your waistline doesn't suffer.
  • Sooo...diet soda is a no in your diet? Or is it ok since it has no calories? It has no nutritional value. Do you guys drink it?
    Daily. Usually 2. And have been for over 30 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    oh hey, you're certified lol. That means I should trust you! And I do! ????
  • Two a day, every day. I love coke zero.
    coke zero is the only diet soda that doesn't taste like old, metallic soda.
  • I drink it but not so much now. Since my body is tuning up and I can actually feel the affects of different things for me I've noticed that sometimes (not sure what the difference is) I feel a little crap afterwards. My heart rate increases and my head feels a little ache. I am a caffeine addict so I know that its not just caffeine.
    Wow...thats weird that it would do that to you! I get kind of bloaty afterwards...
  • just read the ingredients and see if you think its good for you :P i eat healthy so i definitely can afford to fit in diet soda every now and again... it makes me bloat so i limit to like 1 can with some alcohol if I'm out... i prob drink it once every 3 months and thank god for it!
  • Everyone's opinion is so different, but you guys are also helpful. Its good to see other POVs of this BC I am truly confused lol.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Like so many things, it might not affect your weight loss in a week or a year, or even years but the toll it takes on your health otherwise is really not good. Diet soda has been accused of causing migraines, brain tumors, ulcers, rotted teeth, cancer, gut issues and leaching calcium out of the bones. Why knowingly drink acid? If someone flavors goat piss with enough fake sugar to make it palatable and put it over ice, it probably wouldn't cause weight gain either. But why?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    It's a no-no for me. I stopped drinking it bc I read somewhere that carbonated drinks may be bad for your bones or teeth.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 476 Member
    I try to limit the amount I drink of it because it makes me crave sugary crap really really bad and it also makes my tummy puffy and bloated. I am a big fan of the coke zero, only diet stuff that doesn't taste gross to me lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    If you don't drink it a lot, it's fine, but ehhhhhhhhhhh. Diet soda is still not very good for you. It may have no calories, but it still has a lot of harmful crap in there. I'm no expert, but a quick google search will you give you some idea!
    Unfortunately the "google" searches aren't usually peer reviewed, but opinionated or subjective views on it because of many correlations.
    None of the ingredients are harmful and practically all of them can be found in other foods we consume.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Never drank it or plan to start. I drink water, green tea or coffee (with *shock* 1 tsp real sugar*). Got the idea that diet drinks were bad for me as it contained a lot of chemicals, forgot where I got the advice from but I stuck with it. But then, my diet is only in it's 2nd week.
    Green tea and coffee contain "a lot of chemicals." In fact, they both have more chemicals than diet sodas. Everything you eat or drink is made of chemicals. Your entire body is composed of chemicals.

Stop throwing the word chemicals around like it means something bad or scary. It's an argument people use out of fear, rather than informing themselves.
  • ninerbuff
    Never drank it or plan to start. I drink water, green tea or coffee (with *shock* 1 tsp real sugar*). Got the idea that diet drinks were bad for me as it contained a lot of chemicals, forgot where I got the advice from but I stuck with it. But then, my diet is only in it's 2nd week.
    Phenylalaine and aspartic acid are amino acids. Both can be found in meats and dairy and the later also in fruits and vegetables.
    There are lots of "natural" organizations that will try to scare people about it. (IE. like it forms formaldehyde in the body). Ironically formaldehyde also forms in the body from eating fresh citrus fruits and tomatoes. But of course they won't tell you that.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tigersword
    Like so many things, it might not affect your weight loss in a week or a year, or even years but the toll it takes on your health otherwise is really not good. Diet soda has been accused of causing migraines, brain tumors, ulcers, rotted teeth, cancer, gut issues and leaching calcium out of the bones. Why knowingly drink acid? If someone flavors goat piss with enough fake sugar to make it palatable and put it over ice, it probably wouldn't cause weight gain either. But why?
    Why knowingly drink acid? Seriously? 99.9% of all foods are acidic. Oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits are all much stronger acids than diet soda. Yes, diet soda has been accused of causing lots of health problems. So have eggs, butter, milk, meat, bread, rice, apples, and pretty much every food, ever. The evidence shows diet soda doesn't cause any of the things you listed. Again, stop spreading fear and ignorance, take the time to actually study these things.
  • tigersword
    Phenylalaine and aspartic acid are amino acids. Both can be found in meats and dairy and the later also in fruits and vegetables.
    There are lots of "natural" organizations that will try to scare people about it. (IE. like it forms formaldehyde in the body). Ironically formaldehyde also forms in the body from eating fresh citrus fruits and tomatoes. But of course they won't tell you that.

IDEA Fitness member
    Also, aspartic acid is the main "active" ingredient in aspartame. The human body also makes aspartic acid, as it's not an essential amino acid, so, since it's all POISON, the human body must be intent on trying to poison itself, right?
  • ninerbuff
    The "tolls" are usually correlated and not cause. Aspartame is one of the most researched artificial sweeteners in the world and there aren't any peer reviewed studies showing that general population use in moderation is causing the issues mentioned above. People with PKU or reactions to it yes, but then they shouldn't be drinking it in the first place.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Everyday. I love my diet Pepsi.

Used to be a Diet Pepsi junkie .. but I gave it up cold turkey. I think that pop is one of the worst things we can do to our bodies. I avoid it totally now, and don't miss it.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    I've never been a big soda drinker, diet or otherwise.
    That being said, diet coke + spiced rum makes a tasty beverage!
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    My username says it all...yes!