Lord, If this dog comes one step closer....

Options
...I'm either hauling *kitten* back to work and hope that my long legs carry my with lightening speed back to my job or I'm drawing back and reaching from yester year and am kicking this aggressive dog in the throat. Sorry sorry sorry dog lovers, I have 3 of my own..3 big dogs. I knew I shouldn't left work to walk on my lunch break...why?? Because of dogs..

.. Pep in my step and music in my ears, I was ready and rushed out to make sure that I made good time walking. With the parking lot clear of bustling cars and people, I headed on out and picked up a quick pace to make my walk count. I hooked a right and kept it moving. Barking comes exploding from my left side. To myself, I am like, "I know that those dogs are not loose." Much to my dismay, even though my stride was long and pushing, the barking followed me, same volume, same pace and dang it, were now on the same side.

Rushing and heading my way were 2 little small dogs that who's weeny sounds didn't affect me. I t was there big ol' friend across the street that dared me to stop and test him. The 2 yapping dogs caught up to me and..nothing, didn't do a thing...just walked beside me. Phewwwwww!! Their bodyguard seemed content staying on the other side of the road and only wanted to jostle my nerves and reaffirm that my walking will now be done on the inside and with a buddy!

Luckily my better half was just down the street and I called him and asked him to allow me enough time to squeeze my 15 mins in and come pick me up!!!!

Do you feel comfortable walking outside? Is it silly to ask if you carry mace? a stick? anything? Or do you just walk inside?

Replies

• strongerthanb4
    Options
    Girl, you should always carry something! You never know when dog's, other critters or a crazy person might give you trouble! Keep yourself safe!!!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    mace- convenient for all of God's creatures who are pestering you- big or small
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I live in the city now and the majority of dogs in our neighborhood are inside a fenced yard. I have come across one or two that had escaped but they were friendly and I didn't have any trouble. Whew!

But years ago when I lived in the country there were dogs down the street that were aggressive and would come after me. So then I DID carry mace. Thankfully I never had to use it. I would just slow down and point it at them. They seemed to know not to cross me. Thank goodness! I really didn't want to have to use it! But neither did I want to have to get stitches from a dog bite! I had a horse bite my hand once and I can tell you from experience, it is no fun sitting there while a nurse pulls the wound open to clean it out! Never want to go through something like THAT again.

At least the mace gives you an option if you ARE attacked. Unless you spray yourself by mistake.....now THAT would suck. ;)
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am a huge animal lover...but you need to protect yourself!!! mace or pepper spray! See if your area has leash laws, if so, call it in to animal control with the description of the person and dog types and area. Not cool!!
  • aligirl32766
    Options
    I walk outside a lot. Dogs do make me nervous, but I just say a prayer and go on. Sometimes I carry a walking stick, but most of the time I forget to grab it as I go out the door. I have thought about getting some pepper spray, though.
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    Mace! (with a safety valve if you have young ones in the home)

I started walking for physical and mental wellbeing when I was 14, and my dad always made sure I had my mace. You never know what you're going to encounter when you're out of your comfort zone!

Keep it up! Walking can be so great for you...mind, body and soul! (just gotta get those dogs used to you!)
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I went walking the other day in my same area..a park with a lot of houses. I have been doing this same walk for months now. Some of the dogs have gotten use to me and see it is me and just stop barking and move away from the fence etc. As I was coming out of the park the biggest blackest Lab came running at me with his teeth barred and his bristles up.
    I start yelling telling to go home and the owner heard me and came out just as her nose touched my belly!!! Never ever run!! I stood my ground and was ready to kick the dog in the thoart/chest if she jumped.
    I then go and tell my family and they say to get pepper spray. My girl friend said to get pepper spray for animals. I did check into getting the spray for animals but what I found out is that if you get the animal spray it is NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE so I would have had to carry 2 kinds.
    I buy the spray for people and my girl friend freaked out...it will hurt the dog!!!! I don't care if I blind or kill the animal if it is attacking me I am going to do and use whatever I can to protect myself and if that means human pepper spray so be it.....the dog should not of been lose to begin with. Indiana has a leash law!!! Don't get me wrong I love animals, I have 2 cats and 1 dog, I just feel anyone needs to be able to protect themself!!

So if you gett pepper spray make sure you get the kind that also works on humans...the animal spray is not strong enough to even stop humans.

Good Luck
    Mary
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly large dog and a medium sized dog that I walk with, ok to be honest they drag me, so they usually take care of any dogs that might come after me but I have had dogs come after me when I didn't have mine with me. I wished I'd had something and have picked up rocks but heard that wasp spray is a good thing to use for humans or dogs because is will spray a long ways. I haven't taken it with me but mostly because I can't handle that and my dogs on leashes. At least one of my sons has suggested a firearm though and at times I wish I had one because of where I live. I love walking outside where I go because it is peaceful and beautiful AND if I don't walk my dogs the big one won't let it rest! Plus the fresh air is good for you. I have changed my walking route a few times because of dogs too. If I were you I'd get pepper spray or try the wasp spray or something just to be safe.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I live in an area that is semi rural, semi urban if that makes any sense. There are large developments up and down our road, some of the apartment complexes are not so picky about who they rent to, or what the tenants do. Some of the regular houses along the road have large open yards with loose dogs. The closest apartment complex (1 block over) is a hot bed of crime. They have 4 known sex offenders living there, have had multiple drug raids, and almost every night you see the police over there. I will not go out of my fenced yard after dark. I also refuse to walk in the area, even during the day. When I go shopping I will walk around the perimeter of the parking lot for about half an hour before I go in and do my shopping. I don't stock up on fresh foods so I have to go shopping 3-4 times a week :happy:
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    When you are walking alone, even in a familiar area its always good to stay alert of your surroundings and be prepared to protect yourself if need be. Dogs are not the only things that are lurking around outside. I say always carry something with you. Women are more prone to attacks. ALWAYS be prepared to defend yourself.
  • Lugenna
    Lugenna Posts: 28
    Options
    I live in an area that is semi rural, semi urban if that makes any sense. There are large developments up and down our road, some of the apartment complexes are not so picky about who they rent to, or what the tenants do. Some of the regular houses along the road have large open yards with loose dogs. The closest apartment complex (1 block over) is a hot bed of crime. They have 4 known sex offenders living there, have had multiple drug raids, and almost every night you see the police over there. I will not go out of my fenced yard after dark. I also refuse to walk in the area, even during the day. When I go shopping I will walk around the perimeter of the parking lot for about half an hour before I go in and do my shopping. I don't stock up on fresh foods so I have to go shopping 3-4 times a week :happy:

I have to say, that is absolutely terrible that you can't even walk. not because of possibly loose dogs, but rather because of the folks around you. It's truly a sad day and time when we don't have feel free and safe enough in our neighborhoods and local areas. Walking at night is out for you at all. It sucks to be prisoner in your own surroundings, but just like you said, you have to be safe and stay alert.
  • Lugenna
    Options
    I think my guy has mace and he just said that it really doesn't do much for dogs.. So guess what Wally World (Wal-Mart), here I come. I know that sometimes my kids call me overly cautious and overly alert but...

And we do have a leash law here in the great state of Texas (yall come back now, ya hear?), there are many people that are not concerned about their pets (Do you know where your pet is? It's 11:00 :) ).

Just today, a lady in our county got bit by a dog, twice, I think. Yeouch!

Pepper spray it is.. and pepper spray for humans it will be Alysgrma!!!!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    girl, let me know when you walk at work again, I didn't know you were still walking, I'll do it with you again
  • Lugenna
    Options
    Ok. I will chick!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm on a country road. We have a lot of people that walk up and down it but my neighbors have seen bears on their porches and in there yards. I do walk it but I watch very careful and don't walk early in the morning when they have seen them. I mostly use my treadmill. Nothing will want me for lunch in my basement. Well maybe a hungry husband...:laugh:
  • fashionprncess1
    Options
    Since you ARE from Texas you can appreciate that my Aunt used to walk around her neighborhood with a knife attached to the end of a broomstick! They had to get within a few feet from her- but she meant BUSINESS! I am sooooo not a dog lover- and i try to understand that some people are- but with leash laws in Texas- if they are loose- they are rightfully allowed to be GONE... for good! Although i gotta tell you.... if they start chasing you- it might be the best workout you ever managed! hahaha! Just kidding! Keep up the great work!